Wyangala trip.

Squeezed in one last fishing trip before my holidays end and decided to try my luck at Wyangala again. 

Went with the same tactics as last trip  swimbaits early as the sun came up and scored a 90cm cod at first light in around 3m of water on a Jackall Gigantarel in the carp colour.

Next fish a solid 77cm cod came a few hours later on a deep diving crankbait fished close to timber.  

200A32FB-2B32-4589-9C22-9E979F316BB4.thumb.jpeg.8487ab63db0947748706f3bb35e31039.jpeg

Fish weren’t as switched onto the crankbait today so fished a chinweighted Jackall Gantarel in the carp colour around timber and got a 88cm and 99cm cod. 

Had a few other hits on the crankbait and Gantarel that didn’t connect so it was a great day again.

The water looks to have dropped over a foot since a was there 2 weeks ago so I was happy to see the fish still active.  

I fished a similar area to last trip but managed to find better quality fish which was great. 

Cheers for reading, Trav. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Another top session, you seem to have dialed in on the cod.  Great fish & photo 👍

Thanks mate I’ve been very lucky the weather and barometer has lined up perfect for the last couple of trips. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice fish there @T_Bert83. I'm hopefully heading there for the June long weekend. I haven't fished freshwater in over 15yrs and have never fished Whyangalla Dam. Any tips on where to go (gps marks as I'm taking the boat) and what to use? 

Also, how deep is it considering that the dam is just under 30% capacity. I have a 5.7 mtr Quintrex and I know that most people fish with smaller tinnies that have casting platforms.

Appreciate any help.....

Cheers. Dave

Hi @Sigma

I would recommend using swimbaits or large chatterbaits at first or last light fishing shallow 1-4m. Fishing cover isn’t required in these low light periods as cod will be roaming around feeding. 

As the sun gets higher I fish cover like trees or rocks where fish may be holding with either swimbaits or crankbaits. 

Even with the dam below 30%  it’s deep in the main lake 20m+ however use caution as there are a lot of islands and shallow points starting to appear with the dropping water. 

Jackall gantarel or gantia with a 1/4 ounce chin weight would be my lures of choice as they are small enough for a 50cm cod to eat and if dragged in front of a giant they will still eat it. I generally stick with natural colours but caught two cod yesterday on a copton magic (white) gantarel as the water I was fishing was quite dirty. 

There are cod all over the lake so sort of depends where you are camping and how far you want to travel.

I tend to look more for bird activity and bait rather than stick to specific spots.

Send me a DM closer to when you’re going and I’ll try steer you in the right direction. 

Cheers, Trav

• Like 2

How did I miss this thread??

Nice cod Trav!

A MC is on my bucket list, I tried catching some in the rivers up at Walgett when I was there once but no luck & I know to a lot of people its strictly catch & release only but as a chef I have always wanted to try MC to what it eats like, its said to be a very table worthy fish.

@kingie chaser I catch and release all my cod but have nothing against anyone taking one to eat. I used to enjoy eating the ones Dad caught years ago.

If you are ever in the Orange area and keen for a fish I’d be happy to take you out. I can’t promise a fish but happy to show you how I target them and areas I fish. 

Cheers, Trav

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1