Wanda/Greenhills dog leash free area issues

jimbo61

What are everyones thoughts on this topic.

I went down to Wanda last Saturday for a beach fish session. For those that do not know the area from beach access #5 up to the start of the 4WD area is a dog leash-free zone in the morning up to 10am.

I was fishing very very light with one spin rod and a shoulder bag targeting tailor and salmon. So i started at Wanda and then slowly worked my way up the beach. Once I got past access track 5 and into the leash free area i received a couple of odd looks from some dog owners. Thinking nothing of it I continued to walk and cast lures.

Then it got interesting. One bloke looked at me a few times while chucking a stick into the surf for his dog to fetch. He was about 15m south from my spot. Then he came up to me and reminded me in a condescending tone that this was a dog leash free area and did I know it.

I got a bit fired up but decided to play it cool. I said yes i did know it was a dog leash free area until 10am! He then reminded me that I should be fishing down south towards Wanda where "other" fishos were located. His reasoning was something along the line of dogs being impaled by fish hooks.

I said thanks for the advice but was he aware that this was a public beach open to walkers, fishers, swimmers, surfers etc. I told him I would continue to fish as I am always aware of my surroundings (unlike some irresponsible dog owners).

He wasn't happy and left to talk to some other dog owners. They momentarily all looked up at me and I smiled and waved back ;)

I love dogs and I have a dog myself but i really got the  with this and it soured an otherwise nice morning. BTW there are obviously quite a few owners he just let their dogs  all over the place. The sand was disgusting that morning with faeces everywhere.

End of rant

Jimbo

• Like 1

It’s a beach for people, 24x7.

Dogs are permitted at certain times and may be off the leash but only if they are under control. The definition of ‘control’ is probably on the Council’s website.

A dog is not likely to be impaled by a fishhook if it is within the legal definition of control.

Fundamentally, though, it’s a beach for people.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Volitan said:

It’s a beach for people, 24x7.

Dogs are permitted at certain times and may be off the leash but only if they are under control. The definition of ‘control’ is probably on the Council’s website.

A dog is not likely to be impaled by a fishhook if it is within the legal definition of control.

Fundamentally, though, it’s a beach for people.

Have to agree with Volitan

• Like 1

One issue that's popped up lately is the fact that many dog owners have have had to take pets to the vet after eating discarded baits, still with a hook inside.

I'm a dog owner and fisherman and like jimbo61 am appalled by the thoughtless behaviour of irresponsible dog owners who often do not clean up after their dogs make a mess, let alone have them properly under control.

I am also appalled by the irresponsible behaviour of some fishers who leave an awful amount of mess behind.

We talk about these problems on this forum. I believe we are all responsible fishers so talking to the converted here.

I think the best way forward is for council rangers to start booking people.

KB

Makes me laugh- i actually really dislike dogs- had a really bad dog attack as a youngster and have spent too much time in the bush seeing what damage wild ones can do to have any nice feelings towards them at all. SO- do i jump up and down when some twit lets their dog run at me when im out on a walk or riding my bike - no - but does it sometimes scare the crap out of me- yep- do ANY of the dog owners give a stuff- not in my experience. They all think that everyone loves their darling little pooches- I dont. Just part of the joys of living in an increasingly intolerant society.

It may be a dog leash free zone but generally speaking the dog has to be under some sort of control,also what time where they there til?? most dog owners will still be there after the time. this needs to be enforced by local council patrols or rangers.

I'm a dog owner and obviously a fisho, i have taken my dog in the past when i go for a beach flick, she runs around a little but not far from myself, never far enough to disturb other people or if your close she will come say hi, wag her tail and lick you to death, and although i don't see her intimidating (a boxer) she is completely controlled, most of the time she just lays on towel and gets excited when she sees a hookup, or when someone comes and says hello.

Like everything i guess from both sides of being a fisho and a dog lover, always one person to leave a sour taste, hopefully next time you go for a flick near  dog section of a beach@jimbo61 and see a dog its me having a flick and my doggo will just lay down beside you wagging her tail.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar experience this morning. A whole procession of dogs came past. Most of them rummaging through my gear. Some of them were quite aggressive large dogs barking and jumping up on me. They weren't under control at all. 

One of the owners wasn't much better. I was told to 'tidy up' my gear, Then she had another go on the way back 'I couldn't have picked a worse place to leave my gear' , being near the access path (I'm not sure what difference that made with dogs all up and down the beach and given that they all made a bee line for me).

I don't think dogs should be unleashed at a popular public place like a beach. 

Edited by kingfishbig

Come along to Budgewoi Beach on the Central Coast, it is free all the time to dogs. I have nothing agaist dogs. I have owned several over the years. Its not the dogs fault, it is the owners and their don't care attitude.

Cheers.

• Like 1

You should see me burly up the dogs when im waving the stink around while beach worming! Geez thats always fun!

They come around, have a sniff and a lick of the stink bag, tread all over the spot where i just saw a worm and decide to try runaway with my staked stink bag while im getting the worm. Some sit next to me as if hoping i would give them some, and others just look at me longingly for a piece of pilly.

Its all part of the fun, the owners usually rush over and try get the dog away from the stink bag, i usually give the dogs a few pats and everyone is on their merry way. The dog is an animal, not a remote control toy, it has instincts and will do what opportunistic animals do.

(reminds me of a time when one pooch decided to go into my worming bucket and eat a few beach worms, was very funny watching the owners face as this dog is running around with a metre of worm still sticking out of its mouth and she is trying to get it to drop the worm!)

Most dog owners are apologetic, me, i tell em not to worry, it is an animal after all.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting thread here. 

I fish Wanda beach quite a bit and most of time I try to stay south of the gate 5 because I don’t want get bothered by those dogs that constantly come up to investigate your bucket. 

This weekend is a bit hard to stay south end due to mountains of weed piled up around gate 6 south ward. I did a afternoon session today walking all the way to gate 2 hoping there won’t be many dogs around that far. Amazingly around 4pm, tens of happy dogs and their owners marched over passing me. There was a family of three (a dad with two young daughters about 13 and 7. hurdling two dogs, one German shepherd and one blood hound, both large in size. I don’t think those three people are able to control those two large dog effectively. They were about 50 meters from where I was fishing, but the hound came up to search in my bucket four times and every time the owner only called  “archer” which sounded like the name of the dog. I had to stop fishing and came to fend the bucket with my body standing between the dog and my bucket. I was really worried the dog would get angry and attacks me. What got me more was why the owner did not come over to get the dog back. 

I was actually bitten by a dog last year at my local Brighton-Le-Sands beach and started to grew fear of dogs after that. 

By the way, I was once told by a walker it is illegal for me to fish on the beach because there were people walking. 

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, wchh said:

By the way, I was once told by a walker it is illegal for me to fish on the beach because there were people walking. 

Tell him/her to blow it out of their arse. Just being a drop-kick wanting all of the beach to him/herself.