Botany Bay jackets revenge

Gabm

First time out on the bay in a while on Saturday. Took my 10 year old & his friend. Unfortunately I forgot the bait! So with the wind a bit blustery, & casting inexperience, we struggled.

After a fruitless hour, we hid behind Bare island, then Molli point to escape the wind, but still nothing.

About 10:30, wind died down, so headed to the yellow market near Watts, where we sounded some fish. Unfortunately they turned out to be mostly jackets.

I’ve lost a lot of lures to them these last couple of months, & again within a few mins.. So taking advice from raiders (thanks), put on some wire trace and, not having any bait, a small plastic.

I couldnt beleive how quickly that plastic lasted - they were like piranhas, stripping it in seconds, but we managed to hook one, then used the guts to bait up the kids lines.

Kids struggled to hook them as they were small, so downsized hooks &, in a stroke of brilliance, as we were running out of guts, we cut up some sour patch gummies which worked a treat!

Kids were happy to finally catch something, I got revenge on the jackets and enjoyed a tasty meal for dinner.

Thanks for reading.

E1222346-6323-41C8-B780-4C9CC83602FE.jpeg

18B5207B-06A2-4F87-9B47-EA9FC0C56C28.jpeg

Edited by Gabm
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Gabm said:

... cut up some sour patch gummies which worked a treat!

😲

🤔 ... Hmmm, well that is lateral thinking!

And.

Kudos to the kids for sacrificing their lollies for the sake of fishing. I reckon you've got a couple of lifelong fisho's there if they're prepared to do that!

👍 ... Awesome report! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Welster said:

Ha ha now there’s s new bait.   How do you find the cooler bag?

What is that cooler bag?

It's only just dawned on me i don't have anything for larger, longer, fish in the new boat. From the pic, it looks about what I need... ???

Over the years we have used strips of white plastic shopping bag, cut little pieces of rag (sometimes with a spray of egimax or dash of tuna oil) and often cut up pieces of dead Gulp lures. I used to use paternoster style rigs made of wire with small long shank hooks. I would use at least a 6oz sinker so it would sink fast and the jackets would get hooked by the sinker as they tried to eat the bait on it's way down. So as soon as you knew your bait had gone through the school you'd close the bail or engage the reel and start winding up with fish already on. You can also put a hook right on the sinker.

The jackets are great for the kids.  I am amazed at how voracious they are.  A number 6 sabiki works pretty well if you want to pull in a few at a time but they end up eating the swivels......

I will keep the gummy idea in mind the next time we are out, thanks!

Thanks for the replies & ideas.

11 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

What is that cooler bag?

Google search ‘chiller fish bag’. Can get them in various sizes. I’ve got  the micro, 80cm.

21 hours ago, Welster said:

How do you find the cooler bag?

Great. Good quality & slides nicely under my back seat freeing up valuable space.

5 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

I would use at least a 6oz sinker so it would sink fast and the jackets would get hooked by the sinker as they tried to eat the bait on it's way down

Great idea! We were unweighted & found it difficult to hook em.

2 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

I found pieces of jacket skin was a good tough bait for them.

Thanks, kid’s’ll be happy to keep the extra gummies :)

7 minutes ago, Gabm said:

Thanks for the replies & ideas.

Google search ‘chiller fish bag’. Can get them in various sizes. I’ve got  the micro, 80cm.

Great. Good quality & slides nicely under my back seat freeing up valuable space.

Great idea! We were unweighted & found it difficult to hook em.

Thanks, kid’s’ll be happy to keep the extra gummies :)

I have been tossing up between a bigger esky or the midi+ bag. If I get one I will most like get it from the marine rescue store.