Crookhaven Heads

Welster

Some friends moved down the coast over a rear ago and we had struggled to find time for a visit.  This weekend was our chance and as luck would have it Dave is also a keen fisho and the weather was looking good. 

We headed out from Crookhaven heads and managed to pick up a nice feed of reds.    The first fish caught by Dave very soon after arriving.  Naturally thought we were in for a cracking day but the fishing was rather slow with not much caught in between.   

The weather was very kind and we had a great day on the water.   Another bonus was getting out on another boat with an experienced fisho to learn a few more things. 

CFAA4415-270C-44DB-9727-624A5CCC3D35.jpeg

75C75DB4-9535-4B4F-A226-CE78869905D0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That sunrise is worth a million bucks and looks like a glass out.

Nice bag of fish too, the fish have been very spread out lately. Which in honesty is probably a good thing. If they're all in the one spot then it's a function of luck whether you come across them !

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

That sunrise is worth a million bucks and looks like a glass out.

Nice bag of fish too, the fish have been very spread out lately. Which in honesty is probably a good thing. If they're all in the one spot then it's a function of luck whether you come across them !

Yep was about as good as it gets.   We collected live slimies early on to head out wider for kings but didn’t end up doing that.   Plenty of moving about in that bag of fish all on the drift.   I would of liked to try anchoring and see burley to see if that changes things. 

46 minutes ago, Yowie said:

A nice feed there (except for the mowie :lol: ). The larger reddie is a good eating size.

Funny Dave filleted, crumbed and cooked the lot no one mentioned they had a dodgy tasting bit!  

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, Welster said:

Funny Dave filleted, crumbed and cooked the lot no one mentioned they had a dodgy tasting bit!  

Not saying I am an expert, however, I have eaten fish for 60 or so years and can tell the taste of most of them caught from the southern parts of Aus, not so much from the north, but to me, Mowie tastes like shite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fished Friday down south around outer burkets for 4 good flathead and 2 reds. Snuck out for a late drift around the banks and mud. Very quiet around those areas. Come back in to a couple of little reef areas off the lighthouse until after dark again very quiet.

Saturday tried to get livies out the front for nothing so flew down the kinghorne. Only managed one lone slimey. Headed out to the banks and sounded around for a couple of hours looking for kings. Marked a fair bit of bait but couldnt get it to jig. No luck on the kings jigging and lost one shark on a floating bait while we were bashing the bottom. Made our way down around the drum for a drift and ended up with 14 good flathead, two trevs, one very small king that was released and two snapper.

Sunday proved to be an even better day. Late start in the inclement weather didnt stop us putting 15 odd good flathead up to 58cm in the box with 2 more reds and a nice little mako around 20kg. We were back on the trailer by 1230.

The fish are somewhat shut down with quite finicky bites at the moment. The key was to persevere and vary your depths. The majority of our success was in 50m

• Like 2

6 hours ago, New Signing said:

Fished Friday down south around outer burkets for 4 good flathead and 2 reds. Snuck out for a late drift around the banks and mud. Very quiet around those areas. Come back in to a couple of little reef areas off the lighthouse until after dark again very quiet.

Saturday tried to get livies out the front for nothing so flew down the kinghorne. Only managed one lone slimey. Headed out to the banks and sounded around for a couple of hours looking for kings. Marked a fair bit of bait but couldnt get it to jig. No luck on the kings jigging and lost one shark on a floating bait while we were bashing the bottom. Made our way down around the drum for a drift and ended up with 14 good flathead, two trevs, one very small king that was released and two snapper.

Sunday proved to be an even better day. Late start in the inclement weather didnt stop us putting 15 odd good flathead up to 58cm in the box with 2 more reds and a nice little mako around 20kg. We were back on the trailer by 1230.

The fish are somewhat shut down with quite finicky bites at the moment. The key was to persevere and vary your depths. The majority of our success was in 50m

Nice fishing and a good feed.   It’s the first time I have fished there so I’m not very familiar with the spots.  

I am pretty sure we didn’t go beyond the 40m mark. 

• Like 1