Old days

noelm

Some really nice Reels there GH. 

Still have 2 x Avon 111 and 1x Avon 11 kicking around ........ somewhere.

Had a bit more of a dig around NoelM and came up with a Christmas Tree Lure to, rigged with a 6/0 O'Shaunghnessy.

The other was pretty good on Stripeys etc, but the name escapes me....... now with picture added.

crissy.thumb.jpg.6fb4dfa408574eba8feed8ec98f91550.jpg

Edited by Blackfish
can't spell
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

A couple of trusty spin reels. The blue shakespeare even had 2 ball bearings!!!

4X9A9733 - Copy.jpg

The Blue series is in good condition, I had the full set of all sizes, but they have gone to god years ago now, corrosion just ate them to bits.

Just back from rummaging around, and I have a couple of Shakespeare "Titan Whisker" reels (I think that's  what they were called) black Graphite body (that I suspect is just plastic) and a grey ceramic lip on the spool for better casting, just gave the handles a spin and they feel OK, the smaller one has a squeak though.

• Like 1

Speaking of A B U's I have a left handed ABU 5601c4 which has a stripped handle shaft that needs replacing and I just have not got the ambition to repair. Anybody interested in it ?. I believe it is pretty rare ?. Original made in Sweden, perfect condition other than the handle shaft.

abu1.thumb.jpg.3de14693ab57a28052f8ebd4d0c4df23.jpg

abu2.thumb.jpg.5d17cf06dafc84e45f8c2399a32b9e01.jpg

Frank

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, noelm said:

The Blue series is in good condition, I had the full set of all sizes, but they have gone to god years ago now, corrosion just ate them to bits.

Its a little beaten around but OK. It was used a lot for spinning frigates off the rocks and just dropped to get the frigate onto a live bait rod and back in the water ASAP.

I had a 1000 size blue series as well but gave it to my sister.

I think they were one of the first reels to come out with a smooth felt drag that didn't need its washers honed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, noelm said:

Just back from rummaging around, and I have a couple of Shakespeare "Titan Whisker" reels (I think that's  what they were called) black Graphite body (that I suspect is just plastic) and a grey ceramic lip on the spool for better casting, just gave the handles a spin and they feel OK, the smaller one has a squeak though.

The ABU Cardinal in my pic has "Totally Corrosion Resistant" written on the spool. That meant it was made out of plastic haha. Can't remember how many spools I split due to line pressure from stretchy old mono.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frankS said:

Paddy. Don't know the lures you are referring to. I developed these ones myself after test after test till I came up with what I thought was the right weight and shape. I had a mate was a diver and he would go down about 30 feet and watch the lure sink and make notes of how they fluttered down on a blackboard, spent many hours dropping all different weights till I came up with these. The flatter type are 145 grams and the thinner/higher type are 175 grams depending how you rigged them is how they reacted and of coarse the acting you used had a great effect on the results. I did have a lighter version 90 grams but all those are long gone. I developed and made these around 1974 till about 78. made from car headlight surrounds and door handles and trim, most cars them days and older had a lot of ZINC in them and I was lucky enough to have connections in a wrecking yard.

Frank

Not suggesting you copyed anything Frank- they just happen to look very similar-and obviously the shape is a good one!!I would guess the Juro shiner was on the market in the 80's , early 90's anyway so your was first! (maybe they stole your design)

41 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Not suggesting you copyed anything Frank- they just happen to look very similar-and obviously the shape is a good one!!I would guess the Juro shiner was on the market in the 80's , early 90's anyway so your was first! (maybe they stole your design)

Paddy. never for a moment did I think you were suggesting that !! there are dozens if not hundreds of shapes and sizes in lures and one looks similar to another and perhaps some are copies of something else but does it really matter ?.  I also used to make wood hard bodies and some of these would look similar to other designs, one I admit to copying was the Killer lure, I liked their action and made dozens of copies simply cause I could and save money.

Frank

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

I think I may have one of Eric Moller lures, some one said they are a bit of a classic. ?

Can't say the name jumps out straight away, what were they like?

The rod with the aluminium extension was an American Silaflex FT70.  I still have my 2nd one.  My 1st blañk cost me 3 week wages and was used witha 6to1 Seascape and mostly WK arrows.  Ron 

• Like 3

After reading those post on the Pro's running out of the South Coast chasing Yellowfin on Rods and Reels I remembered one article I read a few years ago and found it. I would think after seeing the dates on here this may have been towards the end of that Era.

This was in "Fishing World" September 1990 and the boat was "Pegasus"

yf.thumb.jpg.4c3358f2f235845233206a0a298517cc.jpg

• Like 2

I remember "Pegasus" my wife is in Fishing Workd around that time, a full page photo with a Yellowfin, I have lost my only copy, but, it has an article by Rod Harrison called "on the short stroke" if anyone has a copy I would buy it from them.

edit: sorry, the edition I am after is around 1980 or a bit later.

Edited by noelm

I have a 4601 lefty i still use  never seen another one   i was drifting swansea channell for flathead and seen it laying on the bottom on a rod   dived in and cleaned it up  hadnt been in long  good clean n oil and still going  must be 20 yrs ago

20190705_090003.jpg

• Like 3