Old days

noelm

I hooked a big Yellowfin off the front of Bass Point back in about 1981, chased it for 2 hours on 15KG and I was winning, got it just in sight when a bloody great Shark took the tail off, right up past the bum, what I got back was 92KG.

• Like 4

Strange in a way, but one of the few fish I get "sad" about catching or seeing caught, is a big Yellowfin, they are a magnificent fish, especially if you have ever seen a big one (or a school of big ones) swimming in the cube trail.

• Like 2

Just as cubing for yellowfin was taking off we cottoned onto these hooks that were being used at the time by the long line boats. They were quite small, about the size of a 4/0 j hook but I can never remember pulling a hook on a fish with these.

My best was a piddly 89kg that hung under the boat no matter how hard we tried to motor off. Fought that thing vertically for 2 hours 40 minutes and couldn't get into the harness. Had no feeling in my rod hand fingers for 3 days afterwards.

4X9A9743.jpg

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 4

I remember cubing one day, just wide of the Banks, this big 'fin would eat every cube, in plain sight, often only a couple of feet from the boat, but, put a hook in one and it would turn up, have a look and turn away, we went down to 24KG straight to the hook, and buried the hook right in the cube, but still no go, it continued eating cubes, in the end, I got a 15KG outfit, tied on a 4/0 suicide hook, and cut a few cubes, and put the hook in one, we tossed them all in together a handful of cubes, plus the one with the hook, it scoffed the lot in a few seconds, about a foot from the boat, including the one with the hook, the second it came up tight, we got soaked from the splash as it turned and took off, ended up getting in, 68KG on 15 no trace and a 4/0 Snapper hook.

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Just as cubing for yellowfin was taking off we cottoned onto these hooks that were being used at the time by the long line boats. They were quite small, about the size of a 4/0 j hook but I can never remember pulling a hook on a fish with these.

My best was a piddly 89kg that hung under the boat no matter how hard we tried to motor off. Fought that thing vertically for 2 hours 40 minutes and couldn't get into the harness. Had no feeling in my rod hand fingers for 3 days afterwards.

4X9A9743.jpg

We tried a similar hook for live baiting, but almost every time, the hook would somehow turn and get buried in the bait, resulting in no hookup, OK for cubes though.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:22 PM, Blackfish said:

Some really nice Reels there GH. 

Still have 2 x Avon 111 and 1x Avon 11 kicking around ........ somewhere.

Had a bit more of a dig around NoelM and came up with a Christmas Tree Lure to, rigged with a 6/0 O'Shaunghnessy.

The other was pretty good on Stripeys etc, but the name escapes me....... now with picture added.

crissy.thumb.jpg.6fb4dfa408574eba8feed8ec98f91550.jpg

I have a single one of those pearl headed xmas trees left. It is a sacred item and only ever comes out when i am absolutely desperate with tuna jumping all around but wont take any other lure

• Like 2

I have somewhere a photo of the beach out the front of my house, it's an old black and white photo, and there is piles of big Jewfish on the sand, and a few men standing around, all in suits and hats, one of them is supposed to be my grandfather, how they caught the fish is anyone's guess, there is no boat, no gear or nets, and sadly, I don't know how I can find out, the same photo has been enlarged by the local council and hung in a big supermarket here.