Old days

noelm

One of dozens of kona heads I made back in the day, excuse the poor condition it hasn't seen daylight for about 30 years. Couldn't see the point in paying $100 for a lure so made my own and they worked.

2024409585_konahead.thumb.jpg.e73549573d46e83abaac2c3135f793ff.jpg

Who can remember these ?

500858454_seamartin2.thumb.jpg.68967eee0e337cc6f5d3ec2a061c9fb3.jpg

266391620_seamartin.thumb.jpg.efed6216c7a1361308f4af6613b6a38e.jpg

Sea Martin 11 one hell of an awkward looking reel but one of the best, 1/2 way between a Alvey and a eggbeater, great reel off the beach OR Boat. I still have 3 , 2x bakeolite spools and 1 wooden spool and heaps of spare parts.

Frank

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 9:45 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

My motto used to be "you can never have too much fishing gear" but I am seriously considering 'revising' that statement!

Waza,

Bite your tongue!! 😊 I think you are looking at it wrongly. It is not a case of too much fishing gear but a case of insufficient storage space.

Keep the memories coming.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, noelm said:

Remember when "Christmas Trees" were the go to lure for just about everything? I used to have really small 'tree and it was the gun Stripey lure, before we started making flies to match tiny baitfish. During summer we would have bait catching days, troll for Stripies and Frigates, fill a fish box full of Slimies, ( then spend a week cleaning the scales off the boat) Stripies I liked to keep whole and cut Snapper baits off one at a time, Slimies were sometimes filleted then put in plastic containers with a bit of salt before freezing.

After a day fishing The Banks we would always troll a couple of christmas trees back to Crookhaven Heads and pick up half a dozen stripies. They would be cut into cubes to get things rolling on the next yellowfin trip.

The earlier pic I posted of the landbased marlin actually had a stainless hook in its throat and strips of tinsel in its belly. So safe to say it had taken a christmas tree not long before I caught it.

• Like 3

Loved fishing the Banks, pros made a living line fishing Kingfish and Tuna, boats with names like Ajax, from Greenwell Point, Hunky Too from Currarong, the big boat Millicent, I had a bit of a "run in" with one of the pros, we were anchored side by side, it was getting late and there was only one other boat out, I hooked a big Tuna and tossed our anchor buoy over to chase it, an hour later I headed back to find my buoy, I found it, with some rope about half a mile from the Banks, I picked it up and headed towards the other boat still there, he told me the pro that was there (and now on his way back to Greenwell Point) had cut it off and left, I caught up to him, and yelled out to him and asked why he did it, his lame reply was he thought I was just leaving it there so I could come back tomorrow and use it again, he half arsed apologised and just went back inside the cabin! But a few weeks later I got my own back, about a mile from the entrance I saw a trawler waving their arms around, I went over to see what was going on, and the guys told me they were broken down, and could I help, I asked if the remembered the anchor business, and they very humbly said they did, I kind of thought I might just drive off, but offered a tow anyway, I had a twin engine cat, and could tow them slowly, but safely, we got through the entrance OK, and I took them to the jetty and tied them off, they offered some money but I said don't bother, a week later, they turned up at my house, with a brand new anchor, chain and rope, he said he was sorry, and tracked me down somehow.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DerekD said:

Waza,

Bite your tongue!! 😊 I think you are looking at it wrongly. It is not a case of too much fishing gear but a case of insufficient storage space.

Keep the memories coming.

Regards,

Derek

Hi Derek- no, I actually really do have way too much fishing gear (never thought I could actually say this and will probably need "therapy" now!)- After giving tons of outfits away to friends/their kids, new fishers etc- what else do you do with 'out-dated' tackle? You can't throw it (too many memories of that "great" thing you caught on it) or You have updated (in many cases) to the latest "whiz-bang" version, often not as good as "old' version (good excuse to 'retain' at least for a while- "just to make sure"), You need extra 'same' outfits for when you take others fishing, or it was "expensive". Then there's the "just in case" conundrum and the "spare" thinking. Also the "new model" idea.

Or you simply just love it!! Below are 3 Seamartins- a mk 11, a cedar and a marine ply- highly collectable- have seen cedar versions go for upwards of $3,300 to collectors. One of the 'pinnacle' reels on the collector's "tree"

001.JPG

Edited by wazatherfisherman
added information
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Hey @frankS is that Brass Torpedo Swivel on that trolling lure. They were go for the money, certainly cheaper than Sampo’s..

Geez @wazatherfisherman they do look nice and in great nick.

Hi Blackfish - These are my mate John's Seamartin's- I don't have any wooden versions, only the mk 11's The 2 wooden ones are in great order as you have spotted. Will be posting plenty more photo's of "old things" over the coming days

• Like 3

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Loved fishing the Banks, pros made a living line fishing Kingfish and Tuna, boats with names like Ajax, from Greenwell Point, Hunky Too from Currarong, the big boat Millicent, I had a bit of a "run in" with one of the pros, we were anchored side by side, it was getting late and there was only one other boat out, I hooked a big Tuna and tossed our anchor buoy over to chase it, an hour later I headed back to find my buoy, I found it, with some rope about half a mile from the Banks, I picked it up and headed towards the other boat still there, he told me the pro that was there (and now on his way back to Greenwell Point) had cut it off and left, I caught up to him, and yelled out to him and asked why he did it, his lame reply was he thought I was just leaving it there so I could come back tomorrow and use it again, he half arsed apologised and just went back inside the cabin! But a few weeks later I got my own back, about a mile from the entrance I saw a trawler waving their arms around, I went over to see what was going on, and the guys told me they were broken down, and could I help, I asked if the remembered the anchor business, and they very humbly said they did, I kind of thought I might just drive off, but offered a tow anyway, I had a twin engine cat, and could tow them slowly, but safely, we got through the entrance OK, and I took them to the jetty and tied them off, they offered some money but I said don't bother, a week later, they turned up at my house, with a brand new anchor, chain and rope, he said he was sorry, and tracked me down somehow.

Good storey noelm. I actually fished with the owner of Hunky Too as well as his dad on the original Hunky. I was also friends with the Innes brothers off the Ajax but when on the water they were very competitive.  There was also another rod and reel pro, Andras "Occy" Lembur, that guy was an maniac and if you were anchored up beside him he would have you in stitches all day.

I remember being out there 'till after dark one evening, landing a large yellowfin an when going back to retrieve our anchor there was still another boat anchored up. We retrieved our anchor and were heading back to Crookhaven when we noticed the guys on the other boat waving frantically. We went back, they were broken down and told us they had launched from Currarong. We told them we could tow them back to Crookhaven boat ramp and had they ever crossed the bar before? After their negative response, jokingly we said it would be tricky towing another boat. All I remember travelling through the entrance was looking back and seeing 3 bright orange dots as these guys puffed furiously on their cigarettes. Of course we knew the entrance was perfectly safe that day, but still funny to put the fear of God into someone.

• Like 1

Yep, knew Occy, and the owner of Hunky (Bluey) was a good fisherman, there was a guy in Currarong built a big Aluminium boat (Lady Bird) a friend of mine bought it and pro fished out of Kiama in it. Ajax was the gun outfit, if they didn't catch fish, there was none there, I have an old VHS movie of Ajax pulling a lost fish trap on the way back from the Banks, we had a talk about it later on, I might dig all those old movies out and see if I can get them converted to DVD, before they are ruined forever.

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, noelm said:

Yep, knew Occy, and the owner of Hunky (Bluey) was a good fisherman, there was a guy in Currarong built a big Aluminium boat (Lady Bird) a friend of mine bought it and pro fished out of Kiama in it. Ajax was the gun outfit, if they didn't catch fish, there was none there, I have an old VHS movie of Ajax pulling a lost fish trap on the way back from the Banks, we had a talk about it later on, I might dig all those old movies out and see if I can get them converted to DVD, before they are ruined forever.

Bluey Mytton was a fisherman all his life and couldn't swim a stroke. I fished with him a bit at Currarong's big bommie pulling kings on flasher lines. Ian was his son and owned Hunky Too.

I can't remember the boat names but 2 guys that owned largish aluminium boats from Currarong were John Harrington and Bobby Philpot.

I'll always remember the Ajax poling stripeys with that automatic pole.

• Like 1

Great days indeed, we used to stay at Currarong for a few weeks every year, my mates inlaws had a house in Piscator? ave, then we stayed at Crookhaven heads caravan park every year because the ramp was better (Currarong had no ramp) caught hundreds of Bream off the rocks at both places, haven't been there for ages now, fish the Basin a bit with my son, he fishes there all the time and gets some good fish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Great days indeed, we used to stay at Currarong for a few weeks every year, my mates inlaws had a house in Piscator? ave, then we stayed at Crookhaven heads caravan park every year because the ramp was better (Currarong had no ramp) caught hundreds of Bream off the rocks at both places, haven't been there for ages now, fish the Basin a bit with my son, he fishes there all the time and gets some good fish.

I grew up in Culburra fishing wherever I could with my folks. As soon as I got my license I started hitting the Currarong LBG platforms. In the mid eighties I moved down to the south end of Jervis Bay and still fish rocks, beach and The Basin.

Here's a pic of a mac tuna that was a ANSA record at the time on 4kg taken from Beecroft. Old Shakespeare blue series reel and a hand rolled ironglass blank. The reel is sitting on my desk as I type this.

B0000956.jpg

• Like 5

Found an old Christmas Tree and a small pink hollow head lure, but top Stripey catchers in their day, the Christmas Tree was simply rigged with a bit of 15KG line through the hole and a straight set stainless hook, about 3/0 size, I think we used 34007 Mustads?  I don't know how many hours I have spent slow trolling a Stripey at the Banks.

EC670CF4-974E-4DE1-93DD-28343686C762.jpeg

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Bluey Mytton was a fisherman all his life and couldn't swim a stroke. I fished with him a bit at Currarong's big bommie pulling kings on flasher lines. Ian was his son and owned Hunky Too.

I can't remember the boat names but 2 guys that owned largish aluminium boats from Currarong were John Harrington and Bobby Philpot.

I'll always remember the Ajax poling stripeys with that automatic pole.

We have probably crossed paths at some time,  you might remember the boats, my mate and I both fished with our wives in Seafarer Vikings, then moved onto cats, he had a white Sharkcat with a yellow top, I had an Aluminium cat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Frank- those are excellent molds, I bet you sold heaps of Jigs

gee Frank they look like the old Juro Shiner- they were an absolutely deadly king lure off the rocks- i reckon the 85gm model used to outfish every other king lure 3-1 (the white one). I got smoked a ridiculous number of times on those and was a bit peeved when they stopped production- i actually tryed to buy the moulds from juro when they stopped production but the 70 and 85gm moulds had cracked.

11 minutes ago, noelm said:

We have probably crossed paths at some time,  you might remember the boats, my mate and I both fished with our wives in Seafarer Vikings, then moved onto cats, he had a white Sharkcat with a yellow top, I had an Aluminium cat.

No doubt we have. I seem to remember a yellow over white Sharkcat. I started out there in Seafarer V-Sea before spending a lot of time in my mates 22 foot timber boat with a 350 chev "Blue Thunder". Started out as an open boat with just a windscreen before it was modified with a cuddy cabin.

35 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

gee Frank they look like the old Juro Shiner- they were an absolutely deadly king lure off the rocks- i reckon the 85gm model used to outfish every other king lure 3-1 (the white one). I got smoked a ridiculous number of times on those and was a bit peeved when they stopped production- i actually tryed to buy the moulds from juro when they stopped production but the 70 and 85gm moulds had cracked.

Paddy. Don't know the lures you are referring to. I developed these ones myself after test after test till I came up with what I thought was the right weight and shape. I had a mate was a diver and he would go down about 30 feet and watch the lure sink and make notes of how they fluttered down on a blackboard, spent many hours dropping all different weights till I came up with these. The flatter type are 145 grams and the thinner/higher type are 175 grams depending how you rigged them is how they reacted and of coarse the acting you used had a great effect on the results. I did have a lighter version 90 grams but all those are long gone. I developed and made these around 1974 till about 78. made from car headlight surrounds and door handles and trim, most cars them days and older had a lot of ZINC in them and I was lucky enough to have connections in a wrecking yard.

Frank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

I grew up in Culburra fishing wherever I could with my folks. As soon as I got my license I started hitting the Currarong LBG platforms. In the mid eighties I moved down to the south end of Jervis Bay and still fish rocks, beach and The Basin.

Here's a pic of a mac tuna that was a ANSA record at the time on 4kg taken from Beecroft. Old Shakespeare blue series reel and a hand rolled ironglass blank. The reel is sitting on my desk as I type this.

B0000956.jpg

Can't help to think that rod may be more suited to overhead reel but probably just the angle.

Frank

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, frankS said:

Can't help to think that rod may be more suited to overhead reel but probably just the angle.

Frank

You would be 100% correct Frank. That rod was built to suit a largish baitcaster but still threw a lure off the spin reel OK. Not long after That pic I built up a different ironglass blank to a little longer and faster taper to suit that reel.