Old days

noelm

Ok so I had a hunt in the Shed, one thing that I couldn't find was the Supa Barra, maybe one of the mates has it. will check on that one.

What I did find was some lures.

WK Arrow

449023112_Wkarrow.jpg.07ef07fdf4b890679bb9440d79b7f3b3.jpg

Speed King Swivel Hips 5 1/2oz and a 8 oz plus the Jig, but missing the tail.1866491634_Speedking.jpg.11b73c3d8b74e704b7725decf453c5b1.jpg

And the old Plano, now I can't remember whether it was the 727 or 747.

Plano.jpg.9dc38657ed8883fa9fd9a95885df5f52.jpg

Heaps more but going out for a while.

• Like 3

I have an old Plano 747, the same as the one you see Ambulance workers use, still as good as new, I remember when Mister Twister lures hit the scene, maybe late '70s? they were the craze at the time, soft plastics way ahead of their time in a way, and if you put them in a "normal" tackle box, they would dissolve the plastic tackle box, later years they were all advertised as being "worm proof" meaning they didn't get eaten away, the Mister Twister 2 or 3 inch twin tail, in a sad looking brown was a gun Flathead lure in Lake Illawarra.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 3

It was White or that Fluro type White.

Those 5 1/2 Pink Swivel Hips caught so many Kingys in the day, out preformed all the other Jigs, Irons, Mavericks, WK's but they looked so plain, they were not that popular.

They smashed it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

It was White or that Fluro type White.

Those 5 1/2 Pink Swivel Hips caught so many Kingys in the day, out preformed all the other Jigs, Irons, Mavericks, WK's but they looked so plain, they were not that popular.

They smashed it.

Sure did smash the kings- the smaller size were good at Montague, the big ones at the Peak. Personal fav colour was the orange colour in the pic- first one I tied on every time., followed by white. Still got 1 x 8 oz orange and couple 4+half in pink. All new.

There were some good cheap copies around for a couple of years, molds made from car nicki, lead, brass wire and good enamel coating.

I still have a Plano 747- but I gutted the trays out of it and just have individual boxes inside it- all my tackle goes onto the boat in it and comes off-I change the boxes according to what im fishing for, works well and im not leaving valuable tackle on board the boat.

Hi gents,

how things have changed but stayed the same. Overseas and came across some guys fishing rocks near a heap of surfers on beach. They had portable shelters set up. Looked like a shanty town with rods and stuff everywhere!! ....Walked out to the point and their gear was pretty average. Wasn't expecting much.. No Stella's or tiagras etc..have a chat and...... So they have a 25kg and 30kg GT in an esky.....they were using old looking rods and pen senators that wouldn't get a mention in Aus in the same sentence as GT.

So they had anchor rods where they cast a heavy sinker close to drop off  (15ft to 100ft)and snag it. Then slide livies on fighting rods with a simple release line...

On 6/29/2019 at 8:18 PM, Blackfish said:

Bloody hell that a a good memory Wazza.

Thanks again, as I said the memories vague but I recon you have nailed it.

The guy is a walking fishing encyclopaedia ...

He's a great contributor to the site.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Found some Irons, now I thought they did release one very Large 12oz one later in the piece.

They also released the range in a light weight metal which I assume was to be used for trolling, Still have a couple of those but they look exactly the same.

.234098428_iron1.jpg.9500e46f5ea159742c6521e67cd8242d.jpg

Now for the names.

iron2.jpg.03e17868851eb5c6c41ac49836c38de9.jpg

Also found a couple of Mavericks. I never did catch a fish on them.

mav1.jpg.64cd4b48cafd01dcf639498633c83f55.jpg

mav2.jpg.6e3eaf86c1402411cb538cd5ceade460.jpg

Still got a couple more photos to put up at a later time.

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 4

Looks like the one I posted with the single hook was indeed a Henchman, but the flat diamond shaped one was Maverick Sidewinder, I used to hate those flat ones, they took way too long to drop down as the "fluttered" around.

They were the days, dozens of boats drifting places like "the humps" off Shellharbour, Kingfish being hooked and flipped aboard, until a big one turned up, then it was mayhem, or you hooked a big Yellowfin and chased it for ages, hoping your frazzled line and knots held together. Jigging the Banks was a whole different kettle of fish, bigger fish, way more current, and pro boats to contend with, I landed a fish of 39KG cleaned, on 30Lb  line in amongst the kaos I think I have a photo of it somewhere, biggest King I have ever seen around these parts, got lots 15-20KG on the "Church Ground" off Shellharbour on the "old days" 

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Thanks Jim, my knowledge only goes back to the 60's though. 

Really enjoying this thread

LOL... only 60 years! 

you are slipping mate!

All good... we'll get Frank to fill in the blanks.

Cheers

Jim

• Haha 2

My stomping grounds was the Peak. Never saw any really big Kingys only up to about 25kg but not on the end of my line, though we caught our fair share of Yellowfin. Caught them Jigging, Floater baiting for Snapper and the traditional method of just Yellowtail on a float with Game gear. 

One story is that we hooked one of about 20kg that took a Floater bait for Snapper, this was on a landline of about 10kg, luckily my mates Jig Rod had a 4/0 Policansky that was quite low on line, so we stripped off metres from the hand line and did a quick knot joining the 2 lines, then fought it off the rod. By the time we got the fish to the boat the Poly was full and wouldn't take much more before it jammed.

Also hooked a beast on a 6/0 Everol with 24kg that spooled me in no time and with just a few metres of line left on the Reel the hooked pulled, then I had to wind all the bloody line back in.

Ahhh the old days.

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Found some Irons, now I thought they did release one very Large 12oz one later in the piece.

They also released the range in a light weight metal which I assume was to be used for trolling, Still have a couple of those but they look exactly the same.

.234098428_iron1.jpg.9500e46f5ea159742c6521e67cd8242d.jpg

Now for the names.

iron2.jpg.03e17868851eb5c6c41ac49836c38de9.jpg

Also found a couple of Mavericks. I never did catch a fish on them.

mav1.jpg.64cd4b48cafd01dcf639498633c83f55.jpg

mav2.jpg.6e3eaf86c1402411cb538cd5ceade460.jpg

Still got a couple more photos to put up at a later time.

Those top 3 left first photo look very similar to jigs I used to make, made of Zinc and I used to sell them to boats out at the peak when they ran out of jigs OR just wanted to top up on supplies, also sold a few to a few local tackle stores. I still have single moulds of them and my mate has the production moulds down at Bermagui. Old fashioned now but I bet they would still catch fish. I have about 50 blanks not painted or drilled down in one of the sheds.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 2

Found a couple of Old Trolling Lures. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Top one Knuckle Head

Next, No idea.

Bottom 2 are Kona Heads.

The bottom Silver one I was trolling up at Long Reef, hooked what I believe was a Yellowfin on 10kg and the trusty Jigmaster. Had the poor little Reel shaking till the Hooks pulled.IMG_3283.jpg.dcdd94f83e2a381bbab12f32d88a51ec.jpg

• Like 1

Remember when "Christmas Trees" were the go to lure for just about everything? I used to have really small 'tree and it was the gun Stripey lure, before we started making flies to match tiny baitfish. During summer we would have bait catching days, troll for Stripies and Frigates, fill a fish box full of Slimies, ( then spend a week cleaning the scales off the boat) Stripies I liked to keep whole and cut Snapper baits off one at a time, Slimies were sometimes filleted then put in plastic containers with a bit of salt before freezing.

• Like 1