Broken bay today

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

I headed out on my own this morning from Brisbane water.

I went straight to west reef to have a go at snapper on soft plastics. A few bakers then headed further north. More bakers so I headed out to flathead grounds. 

A went through a bag of pillies pretty quickly for a lot of spikies and then the jackets came. I bailed on that spot and eventually caught a snapper on baker fillet. then caught another one but by then I was out of bait and they wouldn’t take a plastic (few types).

headed back in and saw a boil up at box head. Managed to catch on one (a frigate I think) on a soft vibe - kept it for bait. Then caught a trevally in close.

No shortage of wildlife, saws seals and whales. Water temps warmer at the 50 metre mark, 19 degrees i was sounding. I wonder if it was warmer further out. 

Cheers,

Luke.

DD4D6B70-34BA-469C-B947-78C5814C24D0.jpeg

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Good stuff Luke! Great to see you giving the sps a go! It takes a while to get the hang of it but it’s a very active way of fishing for them. If you are encountering bakers, that means your in the right area! Most common bycatch of targeting snapper with sps! 

Well done! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Guest Guest123456789

Here’s the recorded track. 17.1 NM and 8.5 hours for 4 fish! i think I’ll leave broken bay to you blokes with more experience, bigger boats, bigger wallets and more time. 

53805E75-1786-4CD9-86DE-18B2C5B84CED.png

At least you have something for the table. I would have saved a couple of the spikies for bait. A bit tougher than the pillies, but not when the jackets turn up.

The frigate will make good salted bait. Save it for the reddies, don't feed it to the jackets.

Guest Guest123456789
4 minutes ago, Yowie said:

At least you have something for the table. I would have saved a couple of the spikies for bait. A bit tougher than the pillies, but not when the jackets turn up.

The frigate will make good salted bait. Save it for the reddies, don't feed it to the jackets.

Thanks Yowie, I thought about doing that with the spikies but was scared of misidentifying undersized flathead so released them all. The frigate though I’m not sure what to do with as I don’t plan on leaving the estuary again until 2027 or so. 

1 minute ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks Yowie, I thought about doing that with the spikies but was scared of misidentifying undersized flathead so released them all. The frigate though I’m not sure what to do with as I don’t plan on leaving the estuary again until 2027 or so. 

Frigates are not the good eating tuna, but excellent for bait.

I submitted a photo comparing the difference between a Long Spined Flathead (spikey) and a Blue Spot Flathead, some time ago.