Smoked By Kingfish Chasing Bream

nbdshroom

Yep, I had it coming... 😃 😭 😭😭

I was out the other day on the Parramatta River chasing bream again using a light outfit consisted of 2-4kg 7' rod and 2000 sized reel using 6lb line. 

It started off well, catching a few fish - flatties, tailor and even a nice legal bream all on Zman plastics on 1/16oz jigheads. 

fleathead.thumb.jpg.891ec5983c74d598f2486a1119a2801f.jpg

breaminsta.thumb.jpg.9f3d90b3edc011cc9cd7cb42d454cf23.jpg

I was fishing near this pontoon and suddenly as I was about to wrap up the session, I spot a group of kingfish cruising the other way. That changed my course as I started casting ahead of them. I couldn't get the initial hookup after a few false strikes and now the group of kingfish was getting perilously close to the pontoon (and on course to swim straight under it)...

Yep, you guessed it! That's when I hooked up!

The fish was literally like a metre or two away from the pontoon and the ensuing run saw it run right under it! I don't know how, but somehow I turned it's head and brought it out to the open. It then proceeded to blast me away... Gone!

Oh well, I guess the fish had to win sometimes, especially a few reports where I got extremely lucky to land a kingfish in similarly trying conditions.

I hope you enjoyed the read!

Edited by nbdshroom
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, big Neil said:

I enjoyed the read but loved the video. Your calm demeanour and accepting of the ultimate end result are commendable. Keep it up! bn

Thanks Neil. Although at the time, it's a roller coaster of emotions, I enjoy re-watching myself get smoked.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Ha, that's the attitude, hook up first and worry about landing it later. You'll never know if you never try.

The best kind of hook ups! 😎 😂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Really great video. And a great report.

Thanks Rebel. Glad you enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, J0nn0 said:

Top effort mate

You we’re putting some decent hurt on it for a bit, amazing how much you can put on with 6lb.

Thanks Jonno! True, especially since I knew it was a kingfish I could exert maximum hurt on it (at least to the gear's limit). If it were a jewfish I would be too careful and probably get bricked under the pontoon lol.

51 minutes ago, jnrfinatic said:

Always love watching a vid about fishing! Well done on the report and Vid!

Cheers jnrfinatic! I love watching videos, it gets the blood pumping!

33 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

You were always going to get smoked by a good king on that outfit Pete! I still Ioved watching it though! Haha 😂 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeff! I thought the first run would have been all she wrote. I've heard of fishing under pontoons for bream and getting dusted, but kings... lol! I'll get them next time though, I hope... 😂

• Like 1

Great video. Always heart pumping stuff.

Shame as it looked like you had him after initially you seemed to have no hope!

I couldn’t quite make it out but looks like it was the leader that was cut, how far off the lure? Was it damaged by rubbing or did it just break with the pressure?

• Like 1

Great video!,

You did well but as scratchie says, you were always going to get smoked on that gear.

Don't you just love the way kings give you half a chance and then kick it up a gear.

All round a great video... keep them coming.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

22 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Great report top photos of the fish and great video

Thanks mate.

11 hours ago, Gabm said:

Great video. Always heart pumping stuff.

Shame as it looked like you had him after initially you seemed to have no hope!

I couldn’t quite make it out but looks like it was the leader that was cut, how far off the lure? Was it damaged by rubbing or did it just break with the pressure?

Yep, I was really surprised that I was still in it even just after a few seconds. It was like a cut of some sort. I think I had most of the leader come back so it might have snapped as it nicked teeth or a rock. I didn't feel any rubbing but it was going so quick I think that was the main reason.

11 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Great video!,

You did well but as scratchie says, you were always going to get smoked on that gear.

Don't you just love the way kings give you half a chance and then kick it up a gear.

All round a great video... keep them coming.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim and yes should be plenty more to come but hopefully a little less on the smokings I hope! I can't fault the way kings fight as they always get the heart racing.

4 hours ago, Welster said:

Awesome video well done. 

Appreciate it.