Northern Beaches

GoingFishing

G'day Raiders.

Lovely weather today called for a trip out for a bottom bash. Dad had just returned from 10 days in Japan and was keen, as was I after last weekend's filthy weather and getting hammered by my 3rd flu since the start of winter *sneeze*

We have been having luck since the start of June at Bellambi but we weren't keen on 3 hours of collective driving down south so decided to get out to the northern beaches. I didnt mind as its probably my favourite place to fish anyway.

Tried a few spots early in the morning for reds bagging one nice fish at 46cm and another just under 40cm. Another pannie followed shortly after. Bites were few and far between and we got plagued by sweep and lost a few rigs to jackets and the reef.

Around 11 we made a call to head over to the flatty grounds before the wind picks up and managed 10 nice flatties before the wind picked up. Back at the ramp I noted one of my trailer rollers has broken away or fallen off which needs to be repaired. Can these be purchased online for cheap? I don't need whole kit just the one.

On the plus side with the westconnect open between haberfield and m4 I saved 15 -20 minutes off my trip which was ok....if it weren't for the extra toll.

Thanks for reading!

20190720_193546.jpg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Coswecanfly said:

Nice feed and good report.

It was a beautiful day to be out there. Spoke to an Englishman on the beach today that says he can't believe how lucky we are to have winter days like this. 

Cheers mate. Yes those poms don't get winters like we do here. That's why they all come here !

13 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done thats some fine fish should have some good eating 

Cheers mate thanks

2 hours ago, jnrfinatic said:

Great bag mate! Well done!

Cheers mate

2 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great report & feed, always nice to be out there on a calm winters day, bummer about the roller should be easily found on the net, if not maybe the local boat chandler Witwor or trailer manufacturers 

Thanks for the tip mate will have a look online. Cheers

• Like 1

Sam. Send me a photo of the type roller you need. fastrailers@optusnet.com.au

There's a good chance I would have one here and I could drop it around for you.

Well done on the fishing BTW.

Frank

• Like 3

Good work there, nice flatties and even better reddies. Flatties are always good, but those reddies should be better eating.

Currently at Yamba (no fish for a short time fishing yesterday) but the ocean caught king prawns are on, coming in fresh off the boat, and very nice. No complaints.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, frankS said:

Sam. Send me a photo of the type roller you need. fastrailers@optusnet.com.au

There's a good chance I would have one here and I could drop it around for you.

Well done on the fishing BTW.

Frank

Thanks Frank. I'll send you a photo and get in touch.

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work there, nice flatties and even better reddies. Flatties are always good, but those reddies should be better eating.

Currently at Yamba (no fish for a short time fishing yesterday) but the ocean caught king prawns are on, coming in fresh off the boat, and very nice. No complaints.

Thanks Yowie. King prawns sounds delicious. Any size to them?

24 minutes ago, Welster said:

What a logic winters day to be on the water.   Nice bag of fish Sam and much better than my catch down past the hump yesterday. 

Cheers Welster. Not a cloud in the sky which is the way you want it in a chilly winter day !!! 

How did you go at the humps? What areas were you fishing.

10 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Cheers Welster. Not a cloud in the sky which is the way you want it in a chilly winter day !!! 

How did you go at the humps? What areas were you fishing.

I will try to put up a report later.   We struggled all day.   The current was running pretty hard.   Not even an underside snapper.  Lost heaps of our gear to jackets to sink the boot it a bit more.   Between the two of us we ended up with 4 flatties and 5 squid.  Tried a few spots including Bandit reef.   I got to test out the new parachute anchor and also deep anchor with retrieval ball for the first time.   

It might be time to look at getting some sinker moulds and either take a pipe to reshape the anchor or make Ricks type. 

16 minutes ago, Welster said:

I will try to put up a report later.   We struggled all day.   The current was running pretty hard.   Not even an underside snapper.  Lost heaps of our gear to jackets to sink the boot it a bit more.   Between the two of us we ended up with 4 flatties and 5 squid.  Tried a few spots including Bandit reef.   I got to test out the new parachute anchor and also deep anchor with retrieval ball for the first time.   

It might be time to look at getting some sinker moulds and either take a pipe to reshape the anchor or make Ricks type. 

Better luck next time mate, i know what you mean about the jackets. The last time i was there i must have lost about $50 of tackle to those bastards. They are relentless, the couta also dont help i saw one come up swipe at my lead and it was gone.

What was your drift speed with the parachute anchor? and what setup did you use to fish the humps and bandit?

6 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Better luck next time mate, i know what you mean about the jackets. The last time i was there i must have lost about $50 of tackle to those bastards. They are relentless, the couta also dont help i saw one come up swipe at my lead and it was gone.

What was your drift speed with the parachute anchor? and what setup did you use to fish the humps and bandit?

I didn’t take notice of the drift speed  but it certainly helped us find the bottom for the period the wind was up.  We were drifting with the traditional two hook paternoster.   Bait was squid, pilly’s and slimy fillets.

It was the first time for the new chute, it was effective but seemed to get itself into a tangle when the wind died down.   It was never a problem with the old chute.   Funny thing is my paypal was credited back with the purchase cost ($100) for some reason.  

We anchored up and tried to feed out a running ball sinker in the burley trail but with the current even the paternoster with snapper lead wasn’t getting down much at all. 

Edited by Welster

23 minutes ago, Welster said:

I didn’t take notice of the drift speed  but it certainly helped us find the bottom for the period the wind was up.  We were drifting with the traditional two hook paternoster.   Bait was squid, pilly’s and slimy fillets.

It was the first time for the new chute, it was effective but seemed to get itself into a tangle when the wind died down.   It was never a problem with the old chute.   Funny thing is my paypal was credited back with the purchase cost ($100) for some reason.  

We anchored up and tried to feed out a running ball sinker in the burley trail but with the current even the paternoster with snapper lead wasn’t getting down much at all. 

Try to keep your eye on your drift speed next time. It is very important, especially in deep water like the humps. Dont be afraid to upsize your sinker, ive fished with size 6 and even size 8 snapper leads and still caught fish. albeit, heavy on the way up !!!

If you dont mind, tell me a little more about your setup, what size hooks were you using ?

also, what size lead were you using on your paternoster and on your snapper rigs?

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Try to keep your eye on your drift speed next time. It is very important, especially in deep water like the humps. Dont be afraid to upsize your sinker, ive fished with size 6 and even size 8 snapper leads and still caught fish. albeit, heavy on the way up !!!

If you dont mind, tell me a little more about your setup, what size hooks were you using ?

also, what size lead were you using on your paternoster and on your snapper rigs?

Up to about 230 gram sinker and 3/0 baitkeeper hook.   Standard paternoster with the first hook about 1 ft about the sinker the second another foot above it.   20 lb leader. 

Edited by Welster

5 minutes ago, Welster said:

Up to about 230 gram sinker and 3/0 baitkeeper hook.   Standard paternoster with the first hook about 1 ft about the sinker the second another foot above it.   20 lb leader. 

Im very surprised your not reaching the bottom with a 230gm lead...especially with the sea anchor out ! I can't say if ever had that problem even at the 55m depth line for the humps. Curious what the drift speed was.

One thing I can say for sure is that you should try octopus hooks in size 5/0 or 4/0. And for snapper fishing don't be afraid to lift your first hook off the bottom..  go 2 or even 3 feet off the sinker for your first hook

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work Sam! Good to see a few reds in mix more consistently now! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie ! With practise there is always improvement. Starting to find a few and at least one normally of decent size around 45cm ++

Nothing to brag about tho. Up at port Stephens they're called "pannies" up to 70cm in length right haha 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks Yowie. King prawns sounds delicious. Any size to them?

Not really big, but still a fairly good size. Good eating as they are fresh out of the ocean, not frozen.

Tried Angourie Beach this morning (near Yamba) for 2 undersized Bream and 1 Dart. No tailor. Other tourists report very small flatties. One local found some kilo sized reddies outside.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, GoingFishing said:

Back at the ramp I noted one of my trailer rollers has broken away or fallen off which needs to be repaired. Can these be purchased online for cheap? I don't need whole kit just the one.

The wobbly rollers can come off if washers aren't used either side or is using a non-stainless split pin or too small split pin, center rollers I've worn through when using the wrong type (red for glass, blue for aluminium, black is usually too soft for a keel/skeg). Colours are right mostly, but sometimes online/exotic compounds don't follow these rules so best check with supplier! I've bought rollers from the local trailer shop, whitwrths and ebay depending on time and price requirements.

You should be able to tell if it fell off or broke away from what's left (split pin and washers or not).

My understanding is that parachute anchors don't help much if you have no wind and strong current. When the whole column of water is moving (ie the current) the water and the boat are moving together at the same speed. So when you deploy the parachute it will generally sink and not help. If there is wind blowing the boat at a different speed to the water, the parachute slows the boat down against the effect of the wind. See what I mean? But ts never that simple right? Currents are sometimes different strengths and directions at different depths so deploy the parachute and hope for the best.