Port Hacking Kingfish Salmon Tailor

nbdshroom

G'day guys. I was out with my mate Terry on Port Hacking River the other day chasing fish out the front via trolling using metals. I had a gillies metal about 40g or so and just tossed it out the back of the boat and sat back waiting for bites. 

It's not something I've done before and it was interesting just seeing how something so simple could be so effective. We also spun some metals through some bust ups which were most probably salmon and tailor but there were obviously kings in the mix around the legal size. 

IMAG0699b.thumb.jpg.a9c57d907bdad30f81fc501c40815f83.jpg

One notable moment was when we passed over a school of fish and we instantly had a double hook up. Terry was onto a salmon which was pulling some string and doing some spectacular somersaults through the air! I dropped the initial fish and I was doing my very best to get my lure back in and out of the tangle which occurred in that action-packed moment. I quickly recast, wound in the metal at speed and shortly was nailed on the surface by a legal kingfish. 

IMAG0704b.thumb.jpg.321ef547d2408dbbdb597b3e8d0e1301.jpg

It was such an awesome day out there that I almost forgot that we are still in the midst of winter!

I'm already looking forward to the next time I wet a line! Thanks for reading guys!

Edited by nbdshroom
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Top report guys. Love the lay back, matter of fact style in your videos. Keep 'em coming. What do you use for editing, etc of your videos? Cheers, bn

Thanks Neil. I appreciate those comments. It was a just a pleasant day out on the water which started with zero expectations of any action but it quickly heated up. More videos to come as usual. I use Sony Vegas Pro 11.0. 

4 hours ago, jnrfinatic said:

Nice report, and photos. But I LOVED the vid!

All in all, well done, and keep it up! 

Adem 

Thanks for the support Adem! I've rewatched it many times myself already lol

4 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done top report love the video 

Appreciate it masterfisho7.

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Good successful day out :thumbup:

Thanks kingie chaser. Dropping that first hook up was probably a good thing after what jumped onto my line after that :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

Great report & video, when the pelagics are on there’s nothing better than tossing some metals at them, I once had a great session on  2 to 3 kg salmon on bream gear & ended up after 40 odd fish in 2 hours almost killing a 2500 shimano sienna, those gillies metals are great I’ve caught everything on them including yakkas & even a just legal snapper once

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work, nice fish.

I am in southern Qld, a bit inland, no water, drought, so no fishing.

Thanks Yowie. I'd probably be getting the shakes if I wasn't able to wet a line. I'm sure you'll make up for lost time. 

17 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great report & video, when the pelagics are on there’s nothing better than tossing some metals at them, I once had a great session on  2 to 3 kg salmon on bream gear & ended up after 40 odd fish in 2 hours almost killing a 2500 shimano sienna, those gillies metals are great I’ve caught everything on them including yakkas & even a just legal snapper once

That's an amazing session. Your arms would have got a good workout! The siennas can definitely hold their own considering the price bracket. I'm starting to see how good a simple metal can be.

1 hour ago, Welster said:

What a top day in superb conditions.   Great job on the video as well I enjoyed watching it. 

Thanks Welster. Glad you enjoyed watching it. More to come as always.