Preferred brand of jigheads?

Berrero

Hey raiders,

Just ordered a pretty bulky order of soft plastics online (20 or so packs, 2-5"), and I'm wanting to also load up on bulk jigheads to suit.

What is everyone's preferred brand? I've bought the TT ones before but find the hooks to be quite thin & get bent if you take a big fish on or a slight snag that you can pull out, thinking I'm going to be spending between $200-300 and want to make sure I'm getting decent quality ones. Don't want to be hit by buyers remorse shortly after!!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Ive got tt, squidgies and berkely brand.  Hundreds of them lol.  I organise by brand, weights and sizes, using seperate containers and cut the weight/size off the packet and drop them in the relevant compartment in each container. I also get a piece of paper and write up what each container holds and place it in as well.  I also have smaller containers/storage boxes with species related heads that I just take with me when I go for a fish.  When the smaller species related containers run low, I just top them up.

I find that some brands of plastics work better with certain brands of jigheads and certain style plastics work better with certain style jigheads. 

For example I prefer to use a berkley jighead with a berkley jerkshad or squidgie flickbait plastic.  Another example, I use squidgie round or pro range jighead with a squidgie whipbait plastic. 

I find the tt jigheads fit a zman plastic a little better, so thats what I use with the zmans.

Its just my personal preference, I just find that certain heads on certain bodies make them swim with a better action, while some heads have a detrimental effect on some bodies.  Example, I dont like using my berkley heads with plastics that have a paddle style tail, they just seem to lose all the paddle action to me.

I'd be keen to hear if other raiders share my views.

You will find that most brands have a heavier guage hook available, tt state that with a "H" after the hook size....ie 2/0 H.  Berkley have a range of bream pro series heads available which are thin guage.  

Go to a shop mate, have a look at them and take note, you will find a jighead quite easily to suit your application. 

Unless you know exactly what you want or are buying, some things you just can't/shouldn't do online, this is a perfect example.  Another is buying rods and reels or trying to match a rod and reel without physically holding them setup together.  Can you see where I am going with this?  Online tackle is overated lol.

I highly doubt your going to save $5 per packet of jigheads by purchasing online anyways.  Most decent small non chain tackle shop owners will always give you a better price on anything if you're a returning customer that supports them.

Sorry about my opinions on online shopping for tackle, no offence was meant to be given.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Mick

• Like 1

I use the TT jigheads a lot of the time but I make sure to get the H or XH (in the larger sizes). Just check if you are fishing the light gauge or slightly heavier hooks.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 11:33 PM, mii11x said:

Ive got tt, squidgies and berkely brand.  Hundreds of them lol.  I organise by brand, weights and sizes, using seperate containers and cut the weight/size off the packet and drop them in the relevant compartment in each container. I also get a piece of paper and write up what each container holds and place it in as well.  I also have smaller containers/storage boxes with species related heads that I just take with me when I go for a fish.  When the smaller species related containers run low, I just top them up.

I find that some brands of plastics work better with certain brands of jigheads and certain style plastics work better with certain style jigheads. 

For example I prefer to use a berkley jighead with a berkley jerkshad or squidgie flickbait plastic.  Another example, I use squidgie round or pro range jighead with a squidgie whipbait plastic. 

I find the tt jigheads fit a zman plastic a little better, so thats what I use with the zmans.

Its just my personal preference, I just find that certain heads on certain bodies make them swim with a better action, while some heads have a detrimental effect on some bodies.  Example, I dont like using my berkley heads with plastics that have a paddle style tail, they just seem to lose all the paddle action to me.

I'd be keen to hear if other raiders share my views.

You will find that most brands have a heavier guage hook available, tt state that with a "H" after the hook size....ie 2/0 H.  Berkley have a range of bream pro series heads available which are thin guage.  

Go to a shop mate, have a look at them and take note, you will find a jighead quite easily to suit your application. 

Unless you know exactly what you want or are buying, some things you just can't/shouldn't do online, this is a perfect example.  Another is buying rods and reels or trying to match a rod and reel without physically holding them setup together.  Can you see where I am going with this?  Online tackle is overated lol.

I highly doubt your going to save $5 per packet of jigheads by purchasing online anyways.  Most decent small non chain tackle shop owners will always give you a better price on anything if you're a returning customer that supports them.

Sorry about my opinions on online shopping for tackle, no offence was meant to be given.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Mick

100% Mick. Was planning to buy the jigheads in person for this exact reason.

I work full-time and study part-time so my spare time is limited - that's the main reason for me buying things online where I can, rather than cost. Jigheads / rods are the exception and I always do these in person.

I usually buy from smaller chain or independent tackle shops to support the 'smaller guy'.. Besides, I've found that big chain shops (like a famous 3 letter one) pricing are at a bit of a premium anyway, and their big sales bring them back into line with the other smaller tackle shops standard pricing.

20 hours ago, DerekD said:

I use the TT jigheads a lot of the time but I make sure to get the H or XH (in the larger sizes). Just check if you are fishing the light gauge or slightly heavier hooks.

Thanks Derek, I wasn't aware there was heavier gauge models available. I haven't really looked at the jigheads in store in great depth - usually just pick up some suitable sized hooks to the plastics I'm buying at the same time in suitable weights.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:36 PM, JonD said:

I like some of the ones from fuze, especially the red ones when used in semi transparent lures ( the fish probably don't give a hoot through)

IMG_2905.thumb.JPG.6a411d2b6dbee6e8c8a04357a6fc691c.JPG

Those red ones look very interesting, will definitely grab a few to try out with my translucent plastics and I'll report back if I see any difference! 🤓

Edited by Berrero

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:33 PM, mii11x said:

Mick

Its one of those things unfortunately that large store have more buying power & are generally cheaper imo.

Unless your from a smallish town or live close to a small independent store then your not really going to get have a relationship with one store.

In saying that I try to buy online only when there are sales on if I can & you know exactly what you want then you can save a bit of coin!

Especially when most of the larger stores will just send it to you with free postage as well if you have an account!

Again just my opinion of online stores :thumbup:

All the brand's mentioned above make quality jigheads with heaps of permutations to make them work in all situations and different fish. Like anything bought in bulk, it pays to try a variety, maybe put a portion of your planned spend into buying one of each of small range to see which suits you best for the plastics you've bought for the fishing you like to do. 

I've found that the no brand jigheads you can get off eBay, in the "bullet" style to suit most of my needs, and hold up. Have even landed legal kingies on the heavier variety no brand jig heads. The finish and strength is noticeably poorer than TT jigheads but that's with serious pressure applied - way more than my drag or line that I use would allow. Works out to be $12 for 20x if we are looking at 1/4oz 2/0.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:40 PM, Berrero said:

Hey raiders,

Just ordered a pretty bulky order of soft plastics online (20 or so packs, 2-5"), and I'm wanting to also load up on bulk jigheads to suit.

What is everyone's preferred brand? I've bought the TT ones before but find the hooks to be quite thin & get bent if you take a big fish on or a slight snag that you can pull out, thinking I'm going to be spending between $200-300 and want to make sure I'm getting decent quality ones. Don't want to be hit by buyers remorse shortly after!!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi mate, just saw this thread and interesting you ask. I use Berkley, Mustads and TT's. But, have in the past recent months been testing and weighing them. Most TT's, Berkley and Mustad have been very close to the advertised weight. Nearly all just under but so just that it doesn't matter. By just .2 to .4 of a gram diff. Who cares about that. But the Mustad 5 gram ones were 1 grams or below. The lowest was 3.7 g. Something wrong there because they sell 3.5 gram ones that are that ones weight. Anyway, I recently out of curiosity purchased some Jarvis Walker ones from K Mart. They come in split packs of 6 or 4 with say a 1/4 oz head in 6 with 3 being size 1 hook and 3 size 1/0. All the weights in each hook size were around 7.5 gram. The 10.5 g ones in size 1/0 to size 2 were 11 grams. So I tested them for bend under pressure and they held up just as good as my others. So, $5.50 for a pack of those Jarvis Walker vs $7.99 to $9.99 for the others. Unless I strike a problem with them I know which I will be buying. By the way, the head shape is just like the Berks. Right now to me weight wise and bang for your buck are the Jarvis.

Edited by TAZ

On 7/28/2019 at 9:27 AM, Berrero said:

Thanks Derek, I wasn't aware there was heavier gauge models available. I haven't really looked at the jigheads in store in great depth - usually just pick up some suitable sized hooks to the plastics I'm buying at the same time in suitable weights

image.png.c84242ad4908a8fbc904ac9e1b028208.png

This is from the TT website. I'm pretty sure the  H next to hook size stands

for heavy gauge

cheers

Richard

• Like 1