Will Wright

For most of your fishing I think 160m will be enough. I doubt I've ever seen more than 100m off my Stradic 4000. I went the full spool (270 -300m) of braid on a "what if" basis and I can afford it. When the time comes your challenge will be ripping off enough of the mono backing so that the spool fills properly to the top with the braid.

Before you spool it up grab the spool of braid and a spool of leader and take the time to practice your joiner knots. Test them out properly - even take a couple to breaking point to get a feel for it. Once you are confident you have mastered the joiner knots then you can look at replacing a lot of your mono with braid.

Shimano shore spin 9ft and a 4000 sized spin reel with 10-20lb braid & 20lb leader.

That's a light setup that would be ideal for spinning 40- 60gram metals for salmon/tailor/bonito and rat kings. I had one similar when I first got into spinning of the rocks and beach and you could spin all day with it. Works great for.just general beach fishing aswell.

If your chasing big kings off the stones then forget everything I just said haha.

On 12/14/2019 at 9:15 PM, DerekD said:

For most of your fishing I think 160m will be enough. I doubt I've ever seen more than 100m off my Stradic 4000. I went the full spool (270 -300m) of braid on a "what if" basis and I can afford it. When the time comes your challenge will be ripping off enough of the mono backing so that the spool fills properly to the top with the braid.

Before you spool it up grab the spool of braid and a spool of leader and take the time to practice your joiner knots. Test them out properly - even take a couple to breaking point to get a feel for it. Once you are confident you have mastered the joiner knots then you can look at replacing a lot of your mono with braid.

Thanks. What do you mean by ripping off enough of the mono to make sure it fills to the top with braid? 

Your spool capacity of your 4000 sized Shimano reel is about 270m -300 of 15lb depending on which braid you use.

You have only 160m of braid.

To get the best casting distance out of line you do not want to under fill (less distance) or over fill the spool (bird nests).

The way most of us get around this is start with mono and then finish with braid up to the perfect level. I do this on all my 1000-2500 outfits. Setting up the first time is a pain but once set up whenever I need to replace the braid I rip it off till I have reached the mono backing and then just put a new spool of 150m of braid (same brand and class as previous) back on the reel.

On my 4000 reels I run 1m of mono to ensure good bite to the spool and then braid the rest of the way.

I'm pedantic enough that to set up the smaller spools I put the braid on first, then the mono to the optimum spool depth and then end for end the whole line. Easier when you have two reels of the same model.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1