Knots for soft plastics

Rod84

37 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Yep. Locked half blood knot. I used to use it all the time. Then my eyesight up close started to fail and I learnt the Uni Knot. I seem to find it easier to tie by feel. Similar knot strength.

Uni is great too. Use a back to back uni to tie my leaders to the main all the time. Great method. Tried the one I use on hooks to join the main and leader and it broke consistently under line rating at the join, way under. Was lousy. The hook or jig knot, in my Picasso, same knot, had/has no effect on line strength used to connect the line to a hook, but used to join lines to lines is a failure and I'd never ever recommend it. For hooks and jigs, 100%, line to line never.

8 hours ago, DerekD said:

Going to be picky here - I don't think it is the half blood knot. I actually think it is the "locked" half blood knot as he has put the tip of the line through the second loop he created to create the lock.

Details... details.... details:1prop:

I stand corrected DerekD. Your powers of observation are as astute as ever. Cheers, Neil

• Haha 1

Those who use flouro carbon will be aware of how fragile the stuff is at knots and how there are special knots to help maintain its strength. These knots are often wraps around the outside of the line rather than how most wrap inside before clinching down. Anyway these knots also increase normal mono lines strength from my findings and might be worth looking at for those who use light line class on bigger fish. By the way I'm no fan of flouro carbon.

This video is just one of many flouro carbon examples and the one I use, there are lots on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_jclBNu-R54

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JonD said:

Those who use flouro carbon will be aware of how fragile the stuff is at knots and how there are special knots to help maintain its strength. These knots are often wraps around the outside of the line rather than how most wrap inside before clinching down. Anyway these knots also increase normal mono lines strength from my findings and might be worth looking at for those who use light line class on bigger fish. By the way I'm no fan of flouro carbon.

This video is just one of many flouro carbon examples and the one I use, there are lots on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_jclBNu-R54

I like those, might have to practice those 2 & give them a try.

On 11/24/2019 at 7:46 PM, TAZ said:

I dont even know the name of the knot I use but it holds extremely well. My Dad taught it to me as a kid.  Line through the eye, hold the tag end and line, twist the hook six,seven times min then put the end through the line loop near the eye, now bring it up and through the line loop up the top, wet with some spit and pull tight. Never undoes, high knot strength too. Used it all my fishing life and never let me down.

Anyone know the name of it? Feel free to laugh at my artwork, I'm no Picasso. 😁

IMG_20191124_194111.jpg

I’ve been using this knot for bait rigs for years. I was shown how to tie it by my uncle who got me into fishing. I used it yesterday for plastics I think it worked well and I’m going to stick with it.

• Like 1

The locked half blood knot is a very strong effective knot  a tip is to go thru eye twice as once locked in place it generally stops the knot from travelling round the eye and into the gap where it joins to hook often causing breakage or even slipping off   i lost a monster red last year from this cause i was slack n tied hook on quickly with only once thru eye

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

The locked half blood knot is a very strong effective knot  a tip is to go thru eye twice as once locked in place it generally stops the knot from travelling round the eye and into the gap where it joins to hook often causing breakage or even slipping off   i lost a monster red last year from this cause i was slack n tied hook on quickly with only once thru eye

Ah, twice through the eye of the hook when line is first passed through it. Interesting. The Improved Locked Blood Knot then. 👍

4 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I remember from reading the old mags as a kid, Dick Lewers was a real advocate of the line twice through the eye trick.

• Like 1

A loop knot will signifcantly reduce the lines breaking strain so it is only of use if your leader is a lot stronger than your main line. This may not be feasable for some styles of fishing, eg luring for bream. I use snaps for larger lures which probably help with lure movement and action as well as making it much easier to change lures, of course.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:25 PM, Green Hornet said:

I remember from reading the old mags as a kid, Dick Lewers was a real advocate of the line twice through the eye trick.

Yep, I remember Dick Lewers. He was a legend mate. 👍

• Like 1