Gerroa, Crooked river flathead

SaltyGreek

Went out on my kayak again to fish for some flathead and whiting. I had a few poddy mullet and nippers for bait that were caught in the morning after our beach worming session didn’t go to plan. Paddled our to the spot at around 2:30 and second nipper down got me a 40cm flathead. 10 minutes later my poddy mullet got smashed and I was onto another flathead which went a little over 40cm. Kept getting bites but couldn’t hook up and then after helping my brother untangle his rod for about 5 minutes I got my third flathead which was about the same size as the other ones. After that I caught a garfish which I’ve never seen down at Gerroa before. While unhooking it though it slithered through my hands and got away. I’ll definitely be back out there to try and get another one. Missed a few bites after that and the tide started getting low so I paddled back while there was still enough water and ended the session. Good fun and hopefully I’ll be back out there again soon.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mpreston55 said:

Have caught quite a few good flathead in Crooked River over the years. You did well though as they quite often go quiet in Christmas holiday break. Well done.

Thank you. I find the spots down stream from the first bridge go a bit quiet from the swimming activity besides the mullet but all the deep channels and flats upstream of the first bridge work well. 

57 minutes ago, Bryson said:

Hey mate can I ask how you catch your poddies? Nice feed there 😍

I get my poddies in a trap. 3L juice bottle with an X cut at the top then fold the flaps down. Drop two heavy sinkers in or something that will keep it on the bottom and throw in some bread. In the river some of the mullet are a bit big for the trap and there are some fish which look like tiny herring that go inside in plagues. Keep persisting through the tiny fish and eventually the poddies will go in as long as you keep them around with bread burley. 

17 hours ago, SaltyGreek said:

I get my poddies in a trap. 3L juice bottle with an X cut at the top then fold the flaps down. Drop two heavy sinkers in or something that will keep it on the bottom and throw in some bread. In the river some of the mullet are a bit big for the trap and there are some fish which look like tiny herring that go inside in plagues. Keep persisting through the tiny fish and eventually the poddies will go in as long as you keep them around with bread burley. 

Legend cheers for that, hopefully see me posting soon having caught some nice flatties on the poddies 😜

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 8:45 PM, SaltyGreek said:

The tiny herring looking fish are most likely hardie heads and are also very good flathead bait

• Like 1