Botany bay 21/1/20

kingie chaser

Put in at Hawksbury park Taren point 6.30am with the idea of fishing the Georges for a change as the reports from there recently sounded promising.

The water was full of debris & quite dirty from the big storm the night before.

Did a couple of drifts past Taren point bridge for a couple of small whiting, a few small squire.

Moved up to Tom uglies for no action.

Decided to take a run into the bay & try my usual flathead spots for 1 undersized only.

Wind picked up at 10.30am so decided to head home with nothing in the esky.

The highlight was I took a mate out with me who is new to fishing & helped him catch his 1st fish which was a small squire,so happy about that, he was stoked 😁 

Passed a few large logs, 4x4's & tree branches heading back to the ramp so keep an eye out!!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, SaltyGreek said:

I was out on the bay yesterday as well. Really quiet fishing and only small fish were around. Hopefully things change 

Yes I haven't done any good for some time now so thinking I need to change strategies/baits.

Sounds like some people are doing well on live baits so that means the fewer fish(and more sizable) are more fussy on what they will take??

Or its just a case of places being over fished??

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Yes I haven't done any good for some time now so thinking I need to change strategies/baits.

Sounds like some people are doing well on live baits so that means the fewer fish(and more sizable) are more fussy on what they will take??

I’m not sure what’s going on tbh. We found a school of yellowtail and slimies with a kingfish in amongst them but once the kingfish came through a few times they all disappeared 

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Well, let’s think about this.

prolonged drought means less runoff. Less runoff means less nutrients in the estuaries. Less nutrients means less algae and other baseline foods. Less algae means less food for small fish and other critters so less baitfish. Less baitfish means less big fish. Altogether it makes for a couple of lean years. 

I think the entire biota is currently just a fraction of what it is in good years.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I never liked January fishing. Too many boats, jet skis and fishos.

February, March and April are usually the best months.

Im of the same opinion but it was actually pretty quite out there on Tuesday, could have been due to those storms the night before?

Looks like @jenno64 is doing great in the same area with those live poddies so now I am going to make the effort to get some & not rely on bait like prawns & SP's. 

As they say, if what you are doing is not working try something else!

Edited by kingie chaser