A few reports from the hacking

Restyle

11/1/20, Saturday morning 7am fished the deep of lilli pilli in the kayaks with a mate for kingies, caught a 56cm rattie on half a pilchard. mate pulled out a few 20~cm snappers on squid strips. No pics read on to see why.

18/1/20 fish the same spot, with the same mate to try and hook him onto his fist kingie, no takers. just a few small pickers on squid. took phone of lanyard and dropped it in the water, had a good laugh about giving the kingies a ring to see if they were there, no answer - went home.

24/1/20 Fished gunnamatta bay after work with no real species in mind, just get out there and have fun. Few chopper tailor on pilchard cubes, a squid of the bath nets & the usual 25cm snappers attacking bare hooks.

bgJ33hL.png

watched a few people on the baths there keeping anything they catch, including snappers no bigger than 10cm, a frogfish and a tailor. Sad. They always seem to hang out in groups of 20 aswell.

25/1/20: fished lillipilli deep for kingies again on the kayak, solo this time. Set alarm for 6am but woke up at 3am and left at 3.30. got on the water at 3.45 at wallys wharf and got to lilli pilli by 4am. Not a boat to be seen!! tied onto a mooring and dropped 1 whole pilchard and a squid strip. Had a monster squid 40cm easily take a pilchard but let go boat side, and the squid strips brought every picker in the hacking below my kayak.
died of at sunrise when the tailor rocked up along with millions of yakkas. caught a 2 for livies along with a 35cm tailor, livies got gutted by squid.

hooked onto my first kingie at 6.30 on a finger nail sized pilchard cube while catching yakkas. This was on a 20lb spool of fluro leader line. got a few cuts in my hand from bringing that in straighten the hook, no idea how it stayed on. Measured 58cm.

kH05QIz.png

by then 2 boats rocked up and of course one of them came close and dropped anchor. i don't think their anchor reached the bottom and they left and tied onto the red barge there. 

30 minutes later hooked onto a smaller kingie while having a leak inside the mirage drive hole in the kayak on half a pilchard. pretty boring fight, got tangled with my now forgotten yakka handline. This one was a smaller 48cm.

V7YDS11.png

about a hour passes before i hook onto my next kingie but in that time i managed to pull out plenty of snappers, my first remora, a tailor and 2 trevallys. 

0scza6w.png

then finally my rod buckles and i'm onto a much bigger kingie after multiple attempts to bust me off on the mooring i was tied onto, my other rods line and the bottom i finally net it after a 10 minute fight and multiple hard strong runs. measured 72cm. shortly after i called it a day and heading in.

j6xGKMy.png

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Great work @Restyle, hope you took the 72cm model home for a feed!

Nah, let it go for someone else to catch

2 minutes ago, hookerbruce said:

Nice to see there are a few kings moving in the Hacking and that your perseverance was rewarded. 

I wonder what the remora had been swimming on and how big the shark was 

I did think that when i caught it and said to myself i hope you uber isnt around anywhere haha

3 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great post and good on you for persevering for a nice king...

For me hopefully 😁

Hey each to their own, we all do what we do for our own reasons but you must both earn to much money to buy all the gear & then put the fish back just to stroke the ego & then go down to the fish co-op to then buy the fish you want to consume.

Sure I like the idea of the hunt as much as the next person but at the end of the day its also about putting food on the table for me

Sorry I don't get it but if that's where you get your kicks @Restylethen that's all that matters!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 6:02 PM, kingie chaser said:

For me hopefully 😁

Hey each to their own, we all do what we do for our own reasons but you must both earn to much money to buy all the gear & then put the fish back just to stroke the ego & then go down to the fish co-op to then buy the fish you want to consume.

Sure I like the idea of the hunt as much as the next person but at the end of the day its also about putting food on the table for me

Sorry I don't get it but if that's where you get your kicks @Restylethen that's all that matters!

I do keep the occasional fish when i need one or a few, i don't like freezing fish for a period of time and will only keep a decent fish if i'm going to eat it that night or the following or while camping on a beach down the coast we will eat pretty much anything we catch that's legal almost straight away!

Fishing for me is mostly for the fun of getting out there, being on the water relaxing while playing music quietly in the background & being out there with friends and family when they are free of work.

I personally see buying decent gear, boats/kayaks, petrol for travel etc well worth the money. catching nice fish, being out on the water and leaving stress at work and anything else behind and purely relaxing, even if no fish are caught.

I am very picky with fish and only eat a select few like flounder, flatties, whiting and the occasional kingie & bream if i really feel like a feed. But ay they say its all in the way its cooked. I rarely buy fish aswell. 

On 1/27/2020 at 4:48 PM, Yowie said:

Good work on the kingies, with one to take home.

Never caught a remora before, looks like they are a very thin fish. As Bruce stated, what was it hanging on to?

Very thin indeed, they glide through the water doing circles when fighting. thought it was a cobia when i first had it on the surface, yet to catch one of them.
would've been a big shark as the remora was 40 odd cm long, didn't measure it and they are hard to remove once they suck onto the boat.
no idea what it would've been stuck to. i caught it 2 meters away from the kayak only 500mm below the surface....

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

would've been a big shark as the remora was 40 odd cm long, didn't measure it and they are hard to remove once they suck onto the boat.
no idea what it would've been stuck to. i caught it 2 meters away from the kayak only 500mm below the surface....

Might have just been free swimming, looking for something to grab onto, maybe your yak.