Good Day Out on Oberon Dam

Will Wright

Hey guys just a quick report on the fishing in Oberon. 

Went out at around 4 o’clock and had a flick at fish river in a few different spots with the spinner and no bites. After the rain, the river is full of mud and is extremely murky, the water is also flowing very fast and is carrying a lot of debris. 

After no luck I went out to Oberon Dam with the same spinner. Fished kellies bay for half an hour or so and not much action. Walked round a bit from kellies bay and still no action, at this point I was getting a bit frustrated so I just decided to cast straight out and sort of troll it by just walking with the rod pulling the lure along, and what do you know 2 seconds into the trolling technique I have hooked up! It was a great fight with numerous jumps and splashes and it ended up being a stonker rainbow trout! 48cm and very fat! I also noticed a tag in its shoulder so took a photo of the tag and released the beast. 

I have no idea how just switching up to the trolling technique with the spinner provoked a bite almost instantly (someone give me a reason!) 

well anyway after a while fishing I was stoked with that fat trout! 

All in all a good day out fishing 

08A2120C-8CE6-4CAA-868F-23A7AB5C5310.png

• Like 5

Good report,& fish I’m in sure once the river settles & slows up a bit I t should improve, nice solid chunky rainbow, the water doesn’t look to badly coloured in that part of the dam, I wonder if after that cast the lure had more time to sink & drew the attention of the trout & as soon as you started moving it inhaled the spinner

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Like 1

Persistence rewarded Will. What a lovely, healthy fish. As suggested by 61crusher I suspect the lure imitated a smaller fish in distress and the Trout jumped on it. You can do 99 things that don't work and then the 1 that does. Good report, thanks for posting it. bn

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Persistence rewarded Will. What a lovely, healthy fish. As suggested by 61crusher I suspect the lure imitated a smaller fish in distress and the Trout jumped on it. You can do 99 things that don't work and then the 1 that does. Good report, thanks for posting it. bn

Thanks, I’ve gotta try that technique again now!

8 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Good report,& fish I’m in sure once the river settles & slows up a bit I t should improve, nice solid chunky rainbow, the water doesn’t look to badly coloured in that part of the dam, I wonder if after that cast the lure had more time to sink & drew the attention of the trout & as soon as you started moving it inhaled the spinner

Yeah I’m hoping the rivers improve soon! Yeah must of been the time when I started to walk that the spinner had time to sink. Thanks!