Botany bay 20/3/20 lost a PB flathead

kingie chaser

Hi guys, went for a flick today to try & clear my head from what has been a pretty shity week in general.

Put in at Foreshore at 6.30am & headed to the usual yakka grounds, got set up & wasn't long before I pulled in my 1st, then when I got my second all of a sudden it go hit by something large & nearly pulled the rod out of my hand as I unfortunately hadn't wound the drag back from cleaning the reel last trip.

The light rod tip end up bending into the water as the fish went straight under the boat & the line ended up cutting off on the bottom of the hull which is probably a good thing!

Re rigged with another sabiki but before I did that I rigged up the 1st yakka on another rod & dropped about 1/2 way down to the bottom.

No hits & no more yakkas.

Moved to Moly pt & sat there for a while with the livie near the bottom, saw 1 guy trolling past the point pull in a rat, other than that didn't see anyone else get another.

Was time do some flatty drifting & after a couple of moves & a couple of SP changes I ended up with a nice hit, had plenty of weight & as I go it up near the boat it was huge.

My PB is 80cm & this thing dwarfed it, Im guessing it was about 95cm.

She started playing up a bit going for a run & plenty of big head shakes as I turned her head I got the net ready, missed the net, more so due to the weight so I guided the head around & back to the stern so I could try again, turning her again & this time head 1st into the enviro net, & when I say head only about 1/3 of it fitted into the net.

She went ballistic & dropped back into the water, still attached but I had that sinking feeling I was going to lose it, tried to turn her head again at the stern for another attempt & as she turned she bucked a few times & finally spat the SP...…………………….gutted ☹️

Wouldn't have kept her anyway but as we all know its nice to get them into the boat & give them an accurate measure & a pic & send them on their way.

Anyway that's fishing, I have now realised I need to have my second large nylon net in the boat for such occasions as the enviro is just not big or deep enough for fish of that size.

Regardless it was a nice day out, little wind, back home by 11.30am. 

• Like 7

Good report sounds like that session would’ve cleared the head momentarily with some good adrenaline surges & heart in mouth moments, bummer about not getting the measuring stick onto that big girl, but there the moments that keep us going back out for more 👍

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

bummer about not getting the measuring stick onto that big girl, but there the moments that keep us going back out for more 👍

Yes mate, that would have made my week/month/year to date but your right, I know its still out there & where it is so like Arnie says 

2020648782_Illbeback.jpg.4e39c8c50db96c020f2364454ed5f81f.jpg ………...armed with a better net 🤣

Edited by kingie chaser

Well, that's a bugger when you miss the big one.

With the environet, I have had a few swim into my net, then try and kick their way back out again. They do have some head swinging power at that size. Fortunately the spikes on the side of the head have stuck in the net on those occasions and they have just hung on long enough to swing into the boat, then fall off.

7 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Well, that's a bugger when you miss the big one.

With the environet, I have had a few swim into my net, then try and kick their way back out again. They do have some head swinging power at that size. Fortunately the spikes on the side of the head have stuck in the net on those occasions and they have just hung on long enough to swing into the boat, then fall off.

Yep, that happen to me with other fish, the gummy I got the 10 days ago I had just swung the net over the boat before it jumped out.

The thing I disliked about the nylon one was it took forever to get the fish out, the hook & line out & untangled.

Ive seen those larger soft plastic type nets which would be better I think but buying a new net is at the bottom of a long list now & not really a priority.

• Like 1

Hi Adrian if you’ve got the space to leave the big net in the boat do so & forget about it unless needed, I used to take a big net or gaff with me in anticipation of the big one LB or boat & was always disappointed, found if l always had one or the other as part of my gear occasionally they’d be required 

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

The thing I disliked about the nylon one was it took forever to get the fish out, the hook & line out & untangled.

I’ve found with those nets once you’ve got the weight of the fish keep   a slight bend in the rod so as to keep hook, trace sinker etc under tension till the fish is safely in the boat & preferably out of the net, way less hassle & can help with lures, but then again it doesn’t always work, hope this helps

1 hour ago, 61 crusher said:

Hi Adrian if you’ve got the space to leave the big net in the boat do so & forget about it unless needed, I used to take a big net or gaff with me in anticipation of the big one LB or boat & was always disappointed, found if l always had one or the other as part of my gear occasionally they’d be required 

I’ve found with those nets once you’ve got the weight of the fish keep   a slight bend in the rod so as to keep hook, trace sinker etc under tension till the fish is safely in the boat & preferably out of the net, way less hassle & can help with lures, but then again it doesn’t always work, hope this helps

I have a gaff onboard but didn't want to use it as I didn't want to risk killing the fish but of course when you have a 5kg fish on a 1-3kg rod & 8lb braid & leader you try to keep the fish as calm possible & you also don't have a lot of time to contemplate things.

At the end of the day I drew on my experience, the fish could have spat the SP way before it even saw daylight but I know how to fish with SP's, kept the pressure on the fish the whle time, even in the 6 times I turned the fish.

The only thing I can think of is I actually brought the fish up to quickly, it was in 9 metres of water, still had way to much gas in the tank & didn't want to know about the boat, could have let the drag off & let it go for a longer run but with 8lb fluoro how much time do you have??

Anyway it is what it is, gutted but think on my own it was a hard task on the light gear but yeh the net did not help me today 😉

Appreciate the suggestions though :thumbup:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice report KC. It must have been a day to lose fish! I lost 4 bruts today and cracked it and went home! Your right though, time on the water was very soothing! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

It's not soothing to lose several fish, and end up with nothing. You would hear me swearing in Darwin. 😂🤣

3 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

With a flattie over the 80cm mark, they twist and turn in the net, and either get really tangled, or squirm their way out.

Grabbing a 45cm flattie under the head is fairly easy (if you know what you are doing) grabbing one double that length under the head is suicide. I have grabbed flatties under the head to unhook them many times, but the odd mistake (or bad luck) resulted in many hand spikes. 🤣

24 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Grabbing a 45cm flattie under the head is fairly easy (if you know what you are doing) grabbing one double that length under the head is suicide. I have grabbed flatties under the head to unhook them many times, but the odd mistake (or bad luck) resulted in many hand spikes

Gave up on that technique 1 in 3 would either spike me or end up hanging off my shirt with the odd gut spike,  comes in handy the old belly slime, now a days if it’s a keeper I use the knife as an eki jim tool to dispatch quickly & if being released either glove with thumb in mouth for the larger ones or grip them with the finger on the bum trick, amazing how calm they stay

Kingie. I feel for you , loosing what would have been your PB is hard to accept with grace but still the excitement of seeing the beast and having a couple of chances of netting it is far better than loosing it before you see what it is, you always wonder , was it the fish of a lifetime ?.

Thanks for sharing the moment with us. 

Frank

• Like 2

Your right frank!

But the 1st image that came into my mind this morning when I woke up was of the big girl spitting the SP & sinking down into the depths & then came that pain of disappointment, regret & asking myself if only...…...…...……………………..

I'll get over it in a few days...…………………………. or weeks...……………………………….or months...…...…………... I think :1crybaby:.................🤣

6 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I'll get over it in a few days...…………………………. or weeks...……………………………….or months...…...…………... I think :1crybaby:.................🤣

🤣  never.