Spooled on the first cast- Botany Bay 22/03/20

SaltyGreek

Went out kayak fishing with one of my mates on his grandmother’s kayak to fish on the bay for a few hours. Launched at around 11am from Sandringham near the 16ft sailing club. We paddled out towards the edge of the channel and we casted out our first baits.

I casted my bait out first and the line just kept peeling off as if I was in really deep water. I thought “there’s no way it’s that deep here” I flicked the bail and my rod loaded up and the fish started running towards captain cook bridge.

After running for a good 5 seconds I made the decision to chase the fish down. Without rod holders, this was a challenge as I had to have the rod in one hand and paddle with the other. It spooled me 15 seconds into the fight and I felt some big headshakes.

I made an early call that it was a Jew and after it stopped running I managed to get some line back. During this period however, a Large cruiser went past and produced some big wake. For my own safety I had to face the wake to avoid tipping over and get over it before I could keep fighting the fish. After the wake passed the fish made another run and took me to the knot again before another head shake which pulled the hook. I was devastated.

After rebaiting I managed to catch a few little flathead and a little whiting. Paddled in at about 1 to go eat lunch.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, SaltyGreek said:

After the wake passed the fish made another run and took me to the knot again before another head shake which pulled the hook. I was devastated.

Mate I feel your pain & sympathise after my experience earlier this week.

Its sort of like that old saying, better to have fished & lost than to have never fished at all 😏

Shame you didn't get a look at it though, or maybe that's for the best?  

Well its out there to fight another day...…………………...maybe tomorrow you will get the drop on him/her 😊

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, SaltyGreek said:

I had more than that but I didn’t have a full reel. I need to respool

In the past on my smaller reels for inshore I would just put a 150yrd roll of straight braid on & being pretty small diameter it usually left 1/3 of the spool vacant, not a good thing for casting really either.

Now I put 1/3 of a spool of the same Lb mono on as backing for just in case& to fill it up to a better level.

Better casting & a bit more security.

If I ever get to the backing I know I have 50 yrds or so to work something out :D

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2