Boats and toll roads....$*%*&@@

M1100S

Just got my etoll statement amd coming back from the boat dealer out blacktown way took the m2 and lane cove tunnel.

$23 bucks for m2 amd $10.30 for lane cove....jesus  do they charge us like a truck?

Last time im doing that,  will be taking the slow road next time.

Anyone else find out the hard way??

11 hours ago, M1100S said:

Just got my etoll statement amd coming back from the boat dealer out blacktown way took the m2 and lane cove tunnel.

$23 bucks for m2 amd $10.30 for lane cove....jesus  do they charge us like a truck?

Last time im doing that,  will be taking the slow road next time.

Anyone else find out the hard way??

That’s a Class B charge for the M2. Is your boat over 2.8m high and vehicle and trailer length greater than 12.5m? I guess the consolation is that you’ve got yourself a nice boat! Congratulations!

I used to drive from Quakers Hill to Redfern and return 5 days a week for work. 8 or so years ago it was around $20 a day (M7, M2, Lane Cove Tunnel, Harbour Bridge). Hate to think how much it would cost now! The train proved much more affordable and, generally, more relaxing. I understand there is now a maximum $50 a week spend when using an Opal card, which I guess is a good thing. I miss a lot of things about Sydney since moving to paradise but I don’t miss the daily commute!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rebel said:

Government at work. The silent money maker.

Cheers.

Most toll roads are private (multinational company ) owned, the days of the Government building major roads and employing thousands of workers is long gone

Not that long ago I was out Milperra way, no idea where I was (lost) trying to find an industrial place, I got on some toll road for about a minute, turned off and took a bridge over the same road to go the other way, was on the toll road for a few minutes (but going the other way) until I found the place I was looking for and got charged for two tolls, the time stamp was about 4 minutes difference, so for a few minutes on the actual "freeway" it cost me twice.

Just to add (and I don't know much about this) but I was told by a mate of mine, if you have a caravan (or perhaps a boat) you can apply to the toll people to get some kind of exemption and pay less, apparently the toll camera doesn't know what's a truck and what's a car and boat/caravan, no idea what he was in about, but he seemed to know what he was talking about, no toll roads around me, so I don't know.

I guess they do get a cut of some kind, not sure how much, getting private enterprise to build them is kind of false economy in a way, the roads revert to the Government after a set time, by then, the owners have made a pile of cash, and the road is just about at its "use by" date and requires bags of cash to repair them

I wont get into a tussle about if who should pay for Toll roads to be built & how the money is recouped as it would take a 3 years debate into the hole shemozzle & there would still be no outcome. 

BUT if we didn't have Toll roads then all that heavy vehicle & motor traffic would still be coming through your suburb, I don't think anyone would want that.

If you want to go the long way well then chew more fuel, take more time, that's your choice.

33 minutes ago, noelm said:

the roads revert to the Government after a set time

Not really sure about that, we are still paying the harbour bridge toll even though we have paid for the build cost about X2 now, not only that the they are getting you to keep paying the toll for the tunnel build & they are still charging you toll on the tunnel.

Then just when we had paid for the M4 & they took the Toll away they soon after decided it needed another lane(go figure :insane:) then started to Toll again to pay for that plus all the other stuff going.

Governments have little foresight, otherwise they would have built these the size that will need 10 years down the track but instead we spend nearly double the amount of the original builds just to add 1 lane which will then still not have enough capacity to meet demand.

I travel from Campbelltown to Artarmon for work.I can tell you klnow it pretty much takes the same time to get there and back regardless of toll or non toll roads.You'd need to be an absolute fool to pay for a toll on say the M5 to sit there in peak hour traffic doing 10k or standing still like they do every morning.You pay a toll for the privilege of doing the speed limit and getting somewhere quicker than other routes in my eyes.

They can have their tolls as far as I'm concerned I'll go the free route and get there just as quick thanks.

40 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I travel from Campbelltown to Artarmon for work.I can tell you klnow it pretty much takes the same time to get there and back regardless of toll or non toll roads.You'd need to be an absolute fool to pay for a toll on say the M5 to sit there in peak hour traffic doing 10k or standing still like they do every morning.You pay a toll for the privilege of doing the speed limit and getting somewhere quicker than other routes in my eyes.

They can have their tolls as far as I'm concerned I'll go the free route and get there just as quick thanks.

Wow, that is a b^%@h of a trip to do every day, twice!

I agree the toll roads are like car parks a lot of the time depending on the time of day you need to travel.

I know I have jumped off at times when there is a hold up thinking I will save time & travel the back roads just to be caught up on the back roads because everyone else is doing the same thing.

I hope at least your registered for the M5 cash back?

Ever though about public transport?

There are express services at certain times & it cuts down on the road rage as well!

I hate driving in Sydney & avoid it as much as possible.

Edited by kingie chaser

I work a 7 day fortnight mate and usually do catch the train.Driving whilst this virus is going on.I don't use the M5 toll or any toll for that matter other than a handful of times my entire life.

I looked at the M5 cash back and it's simply not worth it when i did the sums.

They pay extremely well where i work and wouldn't travel that far for the average wage.Love the pay,roster and time off. 

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

I looked at the M5 cash back and it's simply not worth it when i did the sums.

Sounds like you have a dream job mate, lucky you as it's a rare thing!

If you do have an E-tag it's still worth registering for the cash back scheme imo.

There is no sums to do, if you ever travel on the M5 you just pay the GST only after the claim.

Not sure about the cost or claim of a trailer though?

52 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Sounds like you have a dream job mate, lucky you as it's a rare thing!

If you do have an E-tag it's still worth registering for the cash back scheme imo.

There is no sums to do, if you ever travel on the M5 you just pay the GST only after the claim.

Not sure about the cost or claim of a trailer though?

Cheers mate.Will take another look.

12.5 mtrs long or 2.8 mtrs high and you will pay the same as a B-double.

Years ago I got charged the truck rate on the M2 on a normal landcruiser 4X4 not towing, the reason my aerial was 2.8 mtrs high. Cop that one !

It is only M5 west of King Georges rd that you can get full cashback minus GST on a private registered vehicle . You won't get it on M5 east of King Georges rd.