Botany Bay 21/04/2020

Franco

Hi Everyone,

New to the site, first time poster, long time fisherman. (used to be on SFF back in the day)

Here is a little report from my day fishing out in botany.

Started about 6am on the water, lines went down and started to drift for some calamari as that what I love to catch/eat. Within few mins i drop a calamari thinking to myself that this going to be a promising day for a hull of clamari. Unfortuantely I ended up with 2 with we work very hard to catch. I ended up putting one down live expecting some kingy action, but no kingy action but we did get a nice size tailor to the live bait (disappointed wasn't a king but still a decent size tailor).

After around 10am we decided to head out to the heads due to weather being absolutely amazing with no wind, about 2km south from botany heads over a little reef which we anchored up and started to berley. We started to catch a small mixed bag of fish including (wrasse, trevally, slimeys, flatheads, yellowtails and sargent baker) which brightened up the day and brought a bit of action. (Pic of the fish, nothing to brag about)
20200421_141032.jpg?width=1920&height=10

Attached is pic of the water and what the weather was like in the afternoon, glassy conditions.

20200421_114159.jpg

Tight lines talk soon :)

Edited by Franco
formatting
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, plumber joe said:

nice! perfect day on the water, can't wait to head out on Friday

I am heading out again on Friday as well, but this time to the Hacking, Hoping for some squid and some poor mans snapper

2 hours ago, Matheus said:

Nice report, I’ve caught this wrasse many times as well, but always thought it was a “Elegant wrasse”, which is prohibited to take it home.

So are we allow to kept it?

Good eating? 

Cheers

maori wrasse , yes they are for sale in fish shops ,   i have eaten them  a few times, they are   very bland  if you decide to fillet and fry , best if you steam  asian style ,  

On 4/24/2020 at 1:30 PM, 61 crusher said:

Great first report, photos & mixed bag  there Franco, they look like good sized slimies did you eat them or keep them for bait 

if I get a few of them, I use one for bait and take the rest home to eat :)

On 4/24/2020 at 10:53 AM, Matheus said:

Nice report, I’ve caught this wrasse many times as well, but always thought it was a “Elegant wrasse”, which is prohibited to take it home.

So are we allow to kept it?

Good eating? 

Cheers

Yeah as @leonardgid mentioned they're Southern Maori wrasse.  Some additional information https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/375948/Southern-Maori-Wrasse.pdf 

Few different ways to cook them. One way is you can make a fish soup out of them. or you can fillet them and lightly fry them. 

3 hours ago, Franco said:

if I get a few of them, I use one for bait and take the rest home to eat :)

When I catch the larger ones I fillet & either smoke them or grill & of course salt the rest or use them fresh as bait 

• Like 1