What is your FAVOURITE species, and WHY?

JAKSShark

Hello Raiders 

I will start it off and tell you my favourite species in the ocean is the jewie because no matter if its the amateur catching a soapie or a pro pulling in his monster, the amount of work and time etc is always surpassed by a feeling of satisfaction with the jewfish. 

Please reply and tell me YOUR favourite species in the ocean? And why?

1 hour ago, JAKSShark said:

Hello Raiders 

I will start it off and tell you my favourite species in the ocean is the jewie because no matter if its the amateur catching a soapie or a pro pulling in his monster, the amount of work and time etc is always surpassed by a feeling of satisfaction with the jewfish. 

Please reply and tell me YOUR favourite species in the ocean? And why?

Hi JAKSShark for me it's Kingfish, They fight hard 95% of the time and at times are extremely hard to tempt, they get you to try different ways to fool them into taking the bait/lure, so they get you thinking as well.

Also great to eat

• Like 1

IN THE OCEAN? Not sure that I can select ONE particular species above another. Each seperate species which you decide to target  presents you with particular considerations. I think the challenge in fishing is about being able to target any species and succeed . For instance Squid...you need to learn about the species if you are to succeed. Where do they live, how do they feed, how do I catch them, when is the best time? This applies to every species which you may wish to target. Of course we can all lob out in a boat and bottom bash to catch fish. This can be fun and provide you with a feed, but your question is much more specific...

My selection is the humble Flathead on soft plastics and lures. Flathead are plentiful, they live in many different environments and they are voracious ambush predators. They taste really good too. So why choose a species like the humble Flathead? I seldom get the opportunity to fish the salt, so when I do, I want to try something which is fun, a challenge and likely to produce a result. Drifting a selected area, casting soft plastics ahead then slowly trolling lures back to the start of the drift is highly productive and provides 2 very effective methods to catch these ambush predators.  So why does it tick the boxes for me? Selecting a likely location, considering the tide and wind conditions, then choosing the right sp and lure to do the job, are all relative. Above all it is relaxing.

I've enjoyed catching hundreds of Tailor off the rocks, big Salmon off the beach, ginormous Snapper in South Australia and I have never had the desire to catch Marlin. Right now the humble Flathead would be top of the list. Cheers, bn

• Like 2

Definitely blackfish for me.

Luderick are plentiful but still very challenging to catch. Your technique has to be good in terms of baiting up,  balancing your float and especially managing the slack line between rod tip and float. Then there's tuning in to different bites in different conditions. Pussyfooting for them is also challenging, especially presenting your bait to the fish and picking up on the bite. 

The gear is relatively cheap and simple, the bait is free and you can fish for them in a variety of ways though float fishing is my preferred option as it is never boring.

The humble luderick is a dogged fighter and is a very good table fish if cleaned and cooked properly.

That's my call!

KB

• Like 7

Mangrove jack.... 

In the NSW they are a real challenge on lures, you can spend hours of casting waiting fora hit only to be instantly blown away, 

When I've watched them just cruising around you can tell they rule the estuary they strut around the shallows and snags 

From me they've earned the name "red satan" because of all the pain and lost gear they've caused but no matter how many times i swear never again I can't even comprehend not chasing satan in the summer

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi JAKSShark for me it's Kingfish, They fight hard 95% of the time and at times are extremely hard to tempt, they get you to try different ways to fool them into taking the bait/lure, so they get you thinking as well.

Also great to eat

Yes definitely my second favourite, i now try and catch then on as light gear as possible and wow they always suprise

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

Mangrove jack.... 

In the NSW they are a real challenge on lures, you can spend hours of casting waiting fora hit only to be instantly blown away, 

When I've watched them just cruising around you can tell they rule the estuary they strut around the shallows and snags 

From me they've earned the name "red satan" because of all the pain and lost gear they've caused but no matter how many times i swear never again I can't even comprehend not chasing satan in the summer

Are Nambucca Jacks and GT more common in summer?

5 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

Luderick are plentiful but still very challenging to catch. Your technique has to be good in terms of baiting up,  balancing your float and especially managing the slack line between rod tip and float. Then there's tuning in to different bites in different conditions. Pussyfooting for them is also challenging, especially presenting your bait to the fish and picking up on the bite. 

The gear is relatively cheap and simple, the bait is free and you can fish for them in a variety of ways though float fishing is my preferred option as it is never boring.

The humble luderick is a dogged fighter and is a very good table fish if cleaned and cooked properly.

That's my call!

KB

I agree with Koalaboi on this one.

Just to add. You can chase them off the rocks or estuary, 2 totally different styles of fishing, on bait or fly. Plus, you're just as likely to strike a good run of fish in the middle of the day, than dawn or dusk.

There's no other type of fishing I've tried quite like it.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

That's my call!

KB

Totally agree with every sentiment in your post. Blackfish are GREAT FUN. bn

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Clain said:

Are Nambucca Jacks and GT more common in summer?

Jacks definetly warmer months November to April, GT's are around throughout the year, I catch most of my GT's and big-eye trevally through winter and spring when they seem to form into big schools 

• Thanks 1

Not sure if i actually have a favourite species but what is the common factor in the fishing i like to do is that I like to keep "hunting" so to speak . Im not a real fan of anchoring up or going for a drift and leaving a bait in the water but i do enjoy throwing lures around and trolling- always looking for signs of life , whether its on the sounder or visually. I would rather catch a flattie than a bream, a king than a snapper, i enjoy downrigging, gamefishing, fishing for trout etc etc. Blackfishing is something i used to do in winter when the pelagics dried up of the rocks as was fishing for pigs. The visual aspect of a bite is the best part, seeing a lit up marlin coming into the short corner just 5 meters from the transom, a blackfish float slide under the waves , tuna boiling on baitfish , the violence of a kingie bite. These are all worthy things to see and experience. It sounds like a stereotype the best fish is the next one you catch, I have species on my bucketlist- Southern Bluefin tuna, wahoo (seen a few caught but im always the gaffman) , a really big bull dolphinfish, blue marlin but im also pretty happy in Berowra Creek catching a feed of flatties or doing the hard yards off Sydney for the odd marlin, its all fun.

• Like 6

I would have to say Morwong! 
Nah, just joking lol 😂 

Chasing big snapper on soft plastics with light leader, for me there is no better feeling. The planning and preparation of your gear, drift, conditions, jig type, choice of lure and the ability to work the sp correctly. Then to get the ferocity of the take from an XL snapper is angling at it’s finest. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

Jacks definetly warmer months November to April, GT's are around throughout the year, I catch most of my GT's and big-eye trevally through winter and spring when they seem to form into big schools 

you are a legend!

• Like 1

This is a good thread. Thanks JAKSShark for starting it. Having read all the posts on the topic it appears to me that the one thing that everyone is saying is THE TOTAL EXPERIENCE is what counts. The particular species is subjective. What keen anglers get is the thrill of the whole process. Learning about the species, what tackle is needed, where and when to target them... and we've not even got near the water yet! Then there's the preparation which goes around getting to the point of attack, the battle itself and (hopefully) the success. We all love the success but it's often born out of failure and what we learn from making mistakes or something not going right. It is indeed a total experience and it's what keeps us coming back for more...more failure and more success. bn

• Like 3

In the last 4 years we haven't caught a snapper over 2 kg. To get my give my daughter a chance of a big red I drove up to Forster. First line over the side of an area I had never fished before resulted in a 95cm red, followed by several we couldn't stop. 

_MG_5506.jpg.c0cf13c3838daed12be9d251e469560a.jpg

Edited by JonD
  • Like 5