Winter fishing kit

M1100S

So now i have the boat i will still go out in the winter months me think so was wondering what winter gear people use.

Are there any good gloves out there that have covers for fingers so u can easily take off to bait up rather  than n removing entire glove. 

I have seen gloves where you can remove the figure portion on 2 fingers and the thumb but I cant remember exactly where I saw them. Its been a while since Ive seen them, but its an option that you could be looking for.

15 hours ago, M1100S said:

So now i have the boat i will still go out in the winter months me think so was wondering what winter gear people use.

Are there any good gloves out there that have covers for fingers so u can easily take off to bait up rather  than n removing entire glove. 

Do a google search for fishing gloves  - there are ones that have just 2 or 3 fingers exposed or you can use fingerless gloves. Plenty of ideas out there. 

I still fish at night during winter for jew and hairtail.  The best advice I have is dress in layers and look at ski clothing starting with thermals and finishing with a windproof jacket.  Ski pants over your normal pants are worth considering as they are warm, wind and water proof.   Last of all an inflatable pfd as you can't swim in all that gear if you go overboard.   Ron 

My fishing gloves have fingers in them but all the fingers have a split on the underside so that they can be taken off the finger and Velcro on the top so they can fold back.   They aren't a thing of beauty though!

3 hours ago, Blade said:

A related question, how do you launch without getting your feet wet. Do you wear gumboots?

Two ways

1. Have a long rope tied to the bow and stop short of the water, give the boat a push off and let it float out and then drag to the wharf.

2. Same as above but have the rope tied to the post on the trailer with plenty of slack line, reverse and brake. the boat will float off and then pull the car forward and jump out and pull the boat over to the wharf.

3. I park just on the water line, climb on the trailer push the boat off about half way, then give it a big shove and jump on the front, start it up and drive over to the wharf, tie off and then move my car.

4. Same as No.3 but open the Ute tailgate, park a little deeper in the water and then climb from the tailgate to the boat and drive my boat off.

I have gloves in the boat (Framers Gloves) they have the thumb and two fingers cut out, I also wear layer with the top layer being a spray jacket.

Thermos full of Hot choc and a small thermos with Pot Noodles for food, or if the kids are with me a thermos with hot water and hotdogs inside, then its just sauce and buns need for dinner.

P.s Inflatable life jacket as I would drown wearing the layers.

4 hours ago, Blade said:

A related question, how do you launch without getting your feet wet. Do you wear gumboots?

yeah this had me thinking as well.... cause i launch myself i have to dip the feet into the water usually,  especially when retrieving and depending if i have a good or bad day sometimes i need to go knee to put the winch rope on. 

i will just take a pair of fleece pants and throw over the shorts i guess if it gets too cold. I do recall last year in winter when i went with my cousin it was warmer to leave hands in the water than have em exposed out in the air. 

jeffb5.8.... that is an awesome idea the thermos with hotdog inside...genius you are.....have to try that :)

2 hours ago, M1100S said:

jeffb5.8.... that is an awesome idea the thermos with hotdog inside...genius you are.....have to try that :)

Having 3 kids you learn a trick or two, its amazing how much they can eat in a 4hr fishing session

As for keeping feet dry- i dont even try, my normal footwear on the boat in summer is a pair of Teva type sandals and im yet to meet a boat ramp that causes me to slip with them on, so even in winter i launch with those and change into socks and shoes on the boat, the Burke bib'n'brace i have is very water proof and with a pair of trackies underneath very warm. Along with the jacket and a pair of fingerless gloves im usually pretty toasty. If you want real cold try being in the mountains at 4 am in July whilst sitting very still waiting for Bambi. I dont see freezing your butt off as being a sensible or enjoyable idea!