Port Stephens- Pretty Nautical

Scratchie

Gday raiders, 

Just a quick report from up here today. 
My first time out fishing for a very long time and the weather wasn’t the best to say the least. 
Hit Broughton before first light in 2m southerly swell and 15 knot winds. You definitely wouldn’t have went if you didn’t like fishing. 
Hit our mark and with one eye on the lure and the other behind us we begin to cast. Landed one in the first area but as we turned to motor off we took a small wave over the side. 
Looked for a more protected area and started getting a few hits. Managed a few good sized ones and changed location. Our drift was fast but we kept casting. Every time we got a hit, you’d have to wind like crazy and set the hook hard because the combination of the fast drift and the fish swimming towards you resulted in a lot of dropped fish. 
Anyway, we worked it out and collected 8 decent snapper and two mid 70cm kings. All fish caught on soft plastics. A pretty nautical ride home into the southerly. 
It was great to be back on the water again and nice to bring home a feed for the family. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

E1ACBFC2-1500-4182-A465-83A2C361A4A1.thumb.png.3e6d067900c2c5ab9dbfc7bf234272e3.pngCC588538-CC43-45CE-A3DC-3264CD663496.thumb.png.8a4f61fa4e0fbe44a94952ba881f2699.png

• Like 20

4 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

Nice one mate, making me keen.

Cant wait for the ramps up there to open for us non locals. 

What did you get the kings on?

Cheers mate! All on sps! Kings were snapper by catch. 

A good feed there again Scratchie.

Have not read any posts from you for a long time, thought you might have been locked up. 🤣

It can be stressful not going fishing for a long time. When I travel about in the caravan away from water, I am nearly tempted to throw a line into a puddle on the side of the road. 😂

• Haha 2

Great stuff, @Scratchie! Doesn’t it feel good to finally get out after so long in lockdown?! 🙌😎 I fished on Friday and got totally different conditions to you... flat seas - I was able to sit on 25-26 knots to and from the island. I could even do 23-25 knots coming back in through the heads. 😎 I got hardly any run though, so struggled. Still, I didn’t mind one bit - it just felt so good to be out there! I released half a dozen snaps just barely legal and a 69cm kingie that took a live slimey. I tried The Sisters, North Rock and over near Inner Rock 😉 but just couldn’t get a drift I was happy with... but I didn’t care! 😂 I know people got fish that day - snapper and longtail tuna. There were a heap of boats on the Little Gibber, so maybe that was the area to go??? I salvaged the day with a few flatties and bonito, had no dramas (finally!) and returned home totally relieved of stress, which is just what I needed. 😊 Can’t wait to do it again!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, @Scratchie! Doesn’t it feel good to finally get out after so long in lockdown?! 🙌😎 I fished on Friday and got totally different conditions to you... flat seas - I was able to sit on 25-26 knots to and from the island. I could even do 23-25 knots coming back in through the heads. 😎 I got hardly any run though, so struggled. Still, I didn’t mind one bit - it just felt so good to be out there! I released half a dozen snaps just barely legal and a 69cm kingie that took a live slimey. I tried The Sisters, North Rock and over near Inner Rock 😉 but just couldn’t get a drift I was happy with... but I didn’t care! 😂 I know people got fish that day - snapper and longtail tuna. There were a heap of boats on the Little Gibber, so maybe that was the area to go??? I salvaged the day with a few flatties and bonito, had no dramas (finally!) and returned home totally relieved of stress, which is just what I needed. 😊 Can’t wait to do it again!

Cheers Baz. Yes mate it was good to finally feel the waves and get a bit of salt in the face! Adding a few fish was a bonus! Geez they went down a treat though! 
Good to see you got out too! It is definitely good for the soul. We need to get you onto those bigger snapper Baz. Winter is coming mate, so I’ll tee something up with you! 👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Cheers Baz. Yes mate it was good to finally feel the waves and get a bit of salt in the face! Adding a few fish was a bonus! Geez they went down a treat though! 
Good to see you got out too! It is definitely good for the soul. We need to get you onto those bigger snapper Baz. Winter is coming mate, so I’ll tee something up with you! 👍

That’d be great, Jeff! I’ve got a few days off coming up, too. 😎 I’ve got tomorrow off too but I’m self isolating until my covid test results are in from yesterday’s swab! Slight cough and tickle but I’m sure it’s nothing!

Edited by Berleyguts

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

That’d be great, Jeff! I’ve got a few days off coming up, too. 😎 I’ve got tomorrow off too but I’m self isolating until my covid test results are in from yesterday’s swab! Slight cough and tickle but I’m sure it’s nothing!

Hope it's negative Baz.

More than likely is just that, a tickle.

You know with all this going on I don't first hand know anyone who has even had CV19.

Not only that no one I know actually knows anyone that has tested positive!

Sort of makes you wonder about the whole effect it's had on millions of workers & the economy!

Sorry to go of track.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Hope it's negative Baz.

You know with all this going on I don't first hand know anyone who has even had CV19.

Sort of makes you wonder about the whole effect it's had on millions of workers & the economy!

Sorry to go of track.

I don’t know anyone that has contracted it either Adrian. But it doesn’t mean the threat is not real. Both Baz and I work in environments that have numerous people pass through daily. It heightens our response to social distancing and hygiene. The whole effect on the economy is because of this pandemic and Australia is doing a bloody good job. I’d way to prefer living here than say the USA! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Hope it's negative Baz.

Sorry to go of track.

Yes, I come into close contact with hundreds of people each day at work. I do my best to keep my distance but some customers just have no idea! I’m washing my hands so much and using so much disinfectant that I’m not even having dirty thoughts anymore! 😂 When I started coughing at work I decided to get tested to alleviate the concerns of those I work with. I tend to cough whenever I spray disinfectant, so it’s probably that combined with the cooler air and the bushfire around Anzac Day. I had my flu shot a few weeks ago. Was talking to Chris at the local tackle shop and he named 4 locals who had it - one was his next door neighbour. Got it in Bali apparently. The nurse at the hospital said the results usually take 24 hours but I registered for SMS notification and they advised that a “negative” notification could take up to 72 hours. I guess if it was a “positive” they’d ring me pronto! If I don’t get the SMS by lunchtime tomorrow I might have to give work a heads up that I might not be able to come in on Saturday! 😂 All’s good but we really do just need to be vigilant with social distancing for quite some time yet... it’s not really that hard. Meanwhile, I do my best to support local businesses who are doing their best to keep trading. 😎

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Yes, I come into close contact with hundreds of people each day at work. I do my best to keep my distance but some customers just have no idea! I’m washing my hands so much and using so much disinfectant that I’m not even having dirty thoughts anymore! 😂 When I started coughing at work I decided to get tested to alleviate the concerns of those I work with. I tend to cough whenever I spray disinfectant, so it’s probably that combined with the cooler air and the bushfire around Anzac Day. I had my flu shot a few weeks ago. Was talking to Chris at the local tackle shop and he named 4 locals who had it - one was his next door neighbour. Got it in Bali apparently. The nurse at the hospital said the results usually take 24 hours but I registered for SMS notification and they advised that a “negative” notification could take up to 72 hours. I guess if it was a “positive” they’d ring me pronto! If I don’t get the SMS by lunchtime tomorrow I might have to give work a heads up that I might not be able to come in on Saturday! 😂 All’s good but we really do just need to be vigilant with social distancing for quite some time yet... it’s not really that hard. Meanwhile, I do my best to support local businesses who are doing their best to keep trading. 😎

Lets hope you are on the safe list Baz and can get out for a fish soon. @Scratchie hope you are staying safe too mate. 

I know people that have tested positive to COVID-19 and one that has died due to complications. This isn't "fake news" or not reality because you don't personally know any persons who test positive.

The government and ministers are doing a fantastic job and Australia and its management of this pandemic is being exemplified in all the medical groups I am involved with. If you could see the stats and hear first hand the difficulties that my colleagues in USA and UK are dealing with you would be very fearful. 

My best friend lost her brother in NZ yesterday due to a brain tumour. She is devastated that she cant fly over there to attend his funeral due to the COVID-19 restrictions. 

We just have to do what we are told and follow instructions from our health advisors. People need to stop whingeing about not being able to get their favourite meal, coffee or go boating the same as they always do. 

There are plenty of forums on social media to discuss and debate general pandemic opinion - take it there please. We have one thread for discussing fishing related COVID-19 stuff. Feel free to discuss there. 

Australia is well prepared for what may happen following staged eased restrictions. Hospitals and all health services have equipment and tight plans for a surge in cases. We are ready and Australians need to just follow instructions until we get through this. 

Sorry for going off topic Jeff. Thank you to you and Baz for working under the extreme conditions. Back to fishing :) and hoping for lots of great fishing reports soon. 

Back to the snapper post ;) 

• Like 2

My bad. I shouldn’t have mentioned the test. Got my SMS at 10pm last night BTW... negative. So, back to the front (work) tomorrow! Might get a land based session in this evening. Stay safe everyone and enjoy your fishing!

2D8E2049-E8EF-4293-A538-774DB673A42B.jpeg

A52F254F-4795-4005-80A5-5D0E81923DAE.jpeg
And I hope to get one of these babies again soon!

534040D4-CCA5-400B-A7A5-4C3D11EF3473.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 6