Evening creek session

Leon C

I had a productive session on the water this afternoon. Fishing from my rowing skiff as well as a bit of wading, I went looking for some bream and flathead with a fat crankbait and a soft plastic grub. Despite covering a fairly wide area of sea-grass, sand flats and channel, I got nothing. As the light faded, something was stirring up the baitfish on the surface.

While rowing up the creek in the direction of the disturbance, the first tailor hit the grub I had trailing in the water. This was a bit of unintentional trolling, 1 metre from the boat. This one spat the hook after a brief fight, but I was quickly onto another. I landed the small tailor, which was only significant in that it is my second ever fish on a soft plastic lure. Seeing some frantic surface action, I switched to a 70mm Sugapen. This picked up two tailor in as many casts, before I was bitten off while fighting another. I think a fish other than the one I had hooked must have chomped the line, since I lost the whole leader.

Switching to a second rod, I clipped on a 90mm Sugapen and landed a few more. All the tailor were between 30 and 40cm. The action stopped fairly abruptly with the last bit of light. The whole situation was pretty nerve-wracking, since I had only a 6lb leader. Once I was finished with the tailor, the tide had turned and I decided to try some bait fishing.

I rowed to the creek mouth and started drifting back in with the first movement of the incoming tide. Some bits of tailor fillet, unweighted,  provided me two bream in half an hour. The largest was 30cm. I could see there were plenty more around, but by that point I had plenty of fish. My little family is going to be eating quite a few fishy meals in the next couple of days.

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

• Like 1