Sydney Harbour fishing spots for fun

M1100S

Hi Raiders.

i have never fished in the harbor or surrounds and a friend is taking his boat out as his dad from overseas is here so i decided to take mine out with him and get some of the boys along for the ride too.

Where would u go just for a fun day out on water to wet a line not after kingfish or anything more just would be good to catch a few things to keep everyone happy and entertained

There are a number of things you can do that aren't too difficult. if you are interested more in anchoring up and fishing with bait or slow lures there are many number of spots for a chill fish. these spots are everywhere have a look on some chart views that have gps marks for some good spots. Most of the harbour is quite fishable. 

If you want to do something with a tad more excitement you can troll a spread of small metal lures on light gear. There are lots of mack tuna, bonito, tailor and salmon getting around at the moment. Ya never know you might get a kingy doing that. 

Hey Bud.

If your after a chill session sow and pigs reef will fish ok either side of the tide change. Fish light or you will lose alot of gear and anchor "upstream" of the direction of tide run and fish back towards the reef, burley will help.

If the conditions are right you can fish old man's hat for some pelagics. Again fish light and throw out a live bait. Rose bay sand flats fish ok for whiting. 

There's plenty of spots in the harbour worth a try my advice is to spend no more than 45 at each spot....no luck..Keep moving til you find them

• Like 1

Agree with james clain about the lure trolling..easy and very exciting for beginners way to fish plus the fish on average will be better than mooring up amd bait fishing for bream. If not u can basically can anchor anywhere and put some small baits out for bream flattys etc. I wld recommend a public mooring anywhere in middle harbiur for a mix of relaxation and decent fishing. If u cant get there almost every spot in the harbour you will have at least SOME fish turn up. Anyways good luck and be sure to post a report😁

Mate use to fish the harbour a lot and always came home with a feed also plenty of throw backs.

If you a drift out from Middle Head back to the rock at Balmoral you should pick up some reasonable flatties and bream.Also do the drift across near Old Mans Hat inside north head back towards Manly we always got under size snapper and flatties check keep an eye on the ferries if they are running as they do not give way.

Up into the harbour try area around Clifton Gardens.

Bare in mind it is a very busy waterway on weekends especially Sundays with yacht races etc so go early and come home early.

Try and launch from the north side of the harbour rather than going back under the coat hanger it gets like a washing machine once all the ferries start running.

We had a lot of fun over a lot of years fishing our beautiful harbour but too many idiots with big powered boats that do not know anything about boating is a turn off for me these days happy just to do the estuaries and chase Kings down south.

Tight Lines

The Skipper 

When I have guest from O/S I usually fish around taronga zoo, great place to anchor up and watch the world go by and the visitors love it as you see the Harbour Bridge / Opera House and city skylines north and South.

If you go early or at sunset you also get to hear the Lions, Elephants and other animals 

• Like 4