Evinrude/BRP

noelm

Just read on a US site that BRP has discontinued manufacturing e-tec outboards, falling sales has been the main reason, true or not? don't know, but the BRP website has the details.

• Like 1

Yes, it came up in my Facebook feed this morning. I’m in a group of obviously staunch ETEC lovers. They are not happy! It would be a concern for parts and servicing, as well as resale values Of motor and boat. I can’t afford to replace my rig anyway. 🤷‍♂️😢

http://news.brp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/brp-advances-marine-strategy-focusing-boats-and-new-technologies

• Like 1

The statement advises that all warranty will be honoured, parts will be available for some time too, resale? only the future will tell, but e-tecs never had great resale value.

Reading the entire release, complete packages will now feature Mercury motors, including here with Telwater packages (Stacer, Quintrex and Savage) global sales have continued to fall every quarter for a few years.

I don't think Covid played a part, sales have declined, while other manufacturers struggled to meet demand with record sales, Covid was just a smoke screen to justify the business decision (in my opinion)

42 minutes ago, Welster said:

Oh no.   I love my Etec damn it.  I guess we have a few years but in 10 years we will be like leppers with a Chrysler. 

I personally thought the writing was on the wall a long time ago (forget if they are better or worse) the consumer wanted a 4 stroke, Yamaha, Mercury and Tohatsu wound down their 2 stroke range long ago, BRP persisted and I think, just got surrounded and sunk, in a strange way, Honda got it right years ago, but never picked up the ball and ran with it.

• Like 1

I wonder if they might rebadge a Mercury as maybe a Johnson to test the market without much cost? BRP manufacturers lots of suitable 4 strokes, but they were either too pig headed, too silly, or too proud to use them, and it's now bitten them hard.

Edited by noelm
Typo

11 minutes ago, noelm said:

I wonder if they might rebadge a Mercury as maybe a Johnson to test the market without much cost? BRP manufacturers lots of suitable 4 strokes, but they were either too pig headed, too silly, or too proud to use them, and it's now bitten them hard.

Lots of boat owners use and love 2 stroke engines. Not everyone in the market likes 4 strokes. I prefer more grunt and less maintenance in lieu of quieter engine for example.

Anyway - its easy to speculate but we will never really know. Whats happened has happened and we just need to deal with it. 

Sad news when we lose such a big contributor to our sport ... competition drives innovation and pricing and we all benefit .... with a key player out of the game we'll have to see what the future holds.

1 hour ago, Welster said:

Didn't they stop manufacturing for a period years ago as well?

I doubt you'd match the hole shot on my boat with any 150 4 stroke. 

Hey Jason, I'm posting this to share that innovation keeps happening - I have no particular axe to grind. I am running a 2st and I have been researching and keeping up to date regarding repower options.

Below is a BRP produced chart showing torque comparison between the 150 eTec (probably a G1) and a 150 Merc 4st.

As you know hole shot happens between idle - usually around 700rpm and up to 2500rpm and in that RPM range it is all about torque at the prop shaft that gives you hole shot (torque also gives you control on the back of a wave).  Above that RPM range you are at hull planing speed and into your midrange 3-4000 RPM performance.  And above midrange is where motors typically produce their max HP ... but how many fishos sit at those RPM ranges and associated speeds?

image.png.ac88e5582898891287f36239c9d75487.png

BRP acknowledged that the Merc 150hp 4st produced more torque (hence better hole shot) in that low RPM range ... so we can conclude the 4strokes have come a long way. The big fat flat torque curve of the 150 merc is very interesting as it means it can drive a large displacement prop pretty much consistently from 1800-5000rpm... it looks more like a high revving diesel. 

Here's the video from which I screen grabbed the chart.

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1

BRP has tried their own clever marketing, towing competitors backwards, sprouting long service intervals, all sorts of things, as I said way back, it doesn't matter how good they were, the masses just weren't buying them, sales were falling year after year, even the new 3 cylinder models had dismal sales numbers, history is full of failed good products. It can't be made made much easier, the bean counters have decided the wallet is empty and pulled the pin, as sad as it seems, it's business.

7 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Lots of boat owners use and love 2 stroke engines. Not everyone in the market likes 4 strokes. I prefer more grunt and less maintenance in lieu of quieter engine for example.

Anyway - its easy to speculate but we will never really know. Whats happened has happened and we just need to deal with it. 

That's where it failed, they were no longer cheaper, no longer simple, no longer had more power/grunt, no longer lighter, the 4 stroke market started slow and heavy, but developed to be better and better to where we stand now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, noelm said:

That's where it failed, they were no longer cheaper, no longer simple, no longer had more power/grunt, no longer lighter, the 4 stroke market started slow and heavy, but developed to be better and better to where we stand now.

You have clearly never driven an ETEC G2 😂😂😂😂

Lighter in weight, better on fuel consumption and more power than any other 4 stroke of same engine capacity.

To be honest I've driven yammies and merc and you can't even compare the performance....etec leaves them for dead.

Only positive for the 4 stroke is they are quieter....

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, noelm said:

BRP has tried their own clever marketing, towing competitors backwards, sprouting long service intervals, all sorts of things, as I said way back, it doesn't matter how good they were, the masses just weren't buying them, sales were falling year after year, even the new 3 cylinder models had dismal sales numbers, history is full of failed good products. It can't be made made much easier, the bean counters have decided the wallet is empty and pulled the pin, as sad as it seems, it's business.

Every big brand does clever marketing mate...... you suffer from clear observation bias.... easy to look back and smirk with 20/20 hindsight.

More importantly.....in the last 2-3 years I have seen etec engines almost triple in number. In fact they were so popular that Australia's biggest and most reputable boat manufacturer (Telwater /Quintrex) stood behind the brand and was bolting etecs onto their boats in the factories in QLD.......so your theory about declining sales is absolute (with respect). Garbage.

Edited by GoingFishing

Nope, sorry, look up the financial reports, it's common knowledge, you are completely missing the point, I did not say they were no good, it's business, global sales have been falling for a few years, it's no secret, they could not continue any longer.

4 minutes ago, noelm said:

OH, and those Telwater boats will now have Mercury motors on them.

Telwater has no such contract with Mercury. Fabricated statements just like your financial stats buddy. 

Sad to see someone get on their high horse to stick the knife into possibly thousands of distressed fishos who share the same sport.

Edited by GoingFishing

I give up, I read the report on the BRP website this morning, posted it for interested parties, I have no interest in my engines better than yours debates, I suggest you fully read the manufacturers report yourself.

• Like 1

FOND DU LAC, Wisc. (May 27, 2020) -- Mercury Marine, a division of Brunswick Corporation (NYSE:BC) and a world leader in marine propulsion systems, has entered into a strategic supply agreement with BRP to be the supplier of choice for BRP owned boat brands Alumacraft, Manitou, Quintrex & Stacer. BRP has made the decision to discontinue the production of E-TEC and E-TEC G2 engines effective immediately.

“This agreement brings us an incredible opportunity to further grow our brand in the marketplace and introduce our award-winning portfolio of outboard engines to new customers around the world,” said Chris Drees, Mercury Marine president. “We have enjoyed long standing relationships with Alumacraft, Manitou and Telwater and we look forward to continuing to work with them while providing class-leading outboard engines and exceptional service to all of their global customers.”

“We stay true and committed to our marine strategy, and we strongly believe that having two of the most innovative global marine companies to join forces, will not only be mutually beneficial to Mercury Marine and BRP, but also to the whole industry and to customers, " said Karim Donnez, Senior Vice President, Marine Group, IS&T and Global Transformation. “While COVID-19 has precipitated the discontinuation of the production of our outboard engines, we will proudly offer packaged Manitou, Alumacraft, Quintrex and Stacer boats with Mercury Marine going forward."

Mercury Marine will be the outboard supplier of choice for the Alumacraft and Manitou brands as well as Quintrex & Stacer in Australia.

“We are excited for the BRP dealers and consumers to experience our new engines – and with our recent capacity related investments we are well positioned for continued growth,” said Drees.

Boat packages for Alumacraft, Manitou, Quintrex & Stacer with Mercury outboards will be available in early June.

a copy and paste from BRP.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1