Why do we love fishing

GoingFishing

For me and i'm sure many others fishing is a sport, but it is also a getaway. A time to relax and forget about the stresses of every day life. 

The experience starts at arrival at the ramp when i open the door, the salty ocean mist brings with it a refreshing mix of cool salty air and nostalgic memories of all the good times iv'e had on the water. Will today be the day i break a PB? Perhaps i will experience something iv'e never seen before, like the time i saw a pod of dolphins some 1000 strong, or the eye watering image of hundreds of birds working the surface where thousands of fish are busting up. 

Particularly when fishing off Sydney, the cruise from Rose Bay to South Head is a special one to me as we wait to turn the corner off Hornby Lighthouse.  As we come around the corner the sunrise comes into view and always take the breath away. Absolutely my favourite part of every trip and the best way to start the day.

Until next trip !!!

sunrise.jpg

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 6

Could't agree more Sam ... I may be a bit weird but I also enjoy all the ancillary stuff associated with boating/fishing. ie. getting the boat and gear ready, even the wash down and the maintenance.... and then if it all comes together - the  seafood prep, cooking and EATING!  I was just telling Maria this yesterday - just love the whole lot - planning, preparation, execution ... 

I find myself immersed in the whole end to end experience.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 4

For me it's the variability and simple fact that you can't control or rush the outcome, completely.

With a press of button ("play" aswell as "pay now"), we can have most things fairly easily. What i like about fishing is that you can have all the right gear, be in the right spot, at the right time, doing the right technique and have all karma in the world in your favour and still not catch a fish. Id put it at maybe 50% in your control and the rest out of your control. That constant challenge means for everything you can control, you can spend time and money perfecting it (which in a game of margins, does help!) but at the end of the day it can still go either way!

I also like that you don't know what you might encounter - i remember flicking a tiny 40mm shrimp sp on a size 2 hook on what was prob a 3g jighead- using 6lb FC leader on 2LB braid (2-4kg bream rod w/ 500 size reel) and landed an almost legal kingfish! Won't forget that one!

(My day job has me inform of the computer all day long, so fishing is a nice contrast).

• Like 3

Was on the beach last night, strong winds, rain and swell pushing baits back up the sand. What's special is the sound of the waves, the moon lighting the clouds and the turbulent ocean surface, a truly magical scene.

The fishing part came way down the list, sharing the experience with two of my kids just added to the experience.

Trips out in the boat are more about what we see both above and bellow the surface than the catching side of things. Yesterday I dived from the shore in the morning followed by a couple of hours on the beach in the evening.

Yesterday.

1660653362_ScreenShot2020-06-02at1_42_51pm.jpg.a479994257cb42e2dc9020d825c8bd18.jpg

814020673_ScreenShot2020-06-02at1_44_12pm.jpg.f9789357beb00a26278650cf1d7ab964.jpg

161657107_ScreenShot2020-06-02at2_16.38pmcopy.jpg.5fd319efff5be04bde1eeeec223c0f36.jpg

1390875598_ScreenShot2020-06-02at1_44_53pm.jpg.dcadc7aab45d8b5d02b71b10ccb8446e.jpg

_DSC3970.JPG.ec22b45ab06c427c72a2917e6e9952fb.JPG

_DSC3979.JPG.148ce04c066489557e60adf9088ec7a7.JPG

_DSC4019.JPG.4fcfb6155b07f4b3ccf2c75b664ce240.JPG

_DSC4014.JPG.daa1f0bc365c2e6589612cf88f84f1d7.JPG

_DSC3999_1.JPG.299c7782d385c12b72f1793939a997ec.JPG

• Like 9

For me, it's part hunting- for a particular species- even fishing for tiny fish for bait, the hunter comes out...part experimenting ideas and trying different things, part using rods and rigs and lures you've made yourself, or bait you've caught/collected yourself. 

It also takes you to places you probably wouldn't go to otherwise and shows you things you'd just never see. The mystique and "mystery factors" of what's going on below the surface.

The sights you'll never forget, of  creatures, scenery, weather. The water itself, it's noise, smell and movement.

Not to mention, you meet like-minded folk with a common goal (like here on Raider) and you're out enjoying nature and "real" life, often at dawn or dusk or watching the night sky. Seeing a storm roll in.

The best laid plans and organisation can count for nothing. The unexpected happening.

Infinite variables.

I just love it all

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great Sunrise.

Great report and Photos JD.

:secret:

7 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

For me and i'm sure many others fishing is a sport, but it is also a getaway. A time to relax and forget about the stresses of every day life. 

For me fishing is primarily a 'hunter gatherer' thing & the enjoyment I get from the preparedness & the act comes from that ethos.

I mean if there was no such thing as a fishing rod then I would be using a handheld spear if need be to bring dinner home.

While I do get that people see fishing as a sport, they are usually the people who have to much money & have no need for concern otherwise to put food on the table either individually or for a family.

But each to their own, whatever your reason for fishing it is your reason & doesn't concern anyone else but if you promote your version them be prepared to be met with both accolades & criticism.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well Maria and I are pescatarian ...  seafood and plant based foods - and we do not buy any seafood from commercial operators .... so I guess we tick all the boxes ... its food on the table and a hunter gatherer thing and a sport that we both enjoy ! 

...and I still have my handspear ... but the days of swimming 50m underwater in one breath are sadly long gone 😞

Cheers Zoran

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

:secret:

For me fishing is primarily a 'hunter gatherer' thing & the enjoyment I get from the preparedness & the act comes from that ethos.

I mean if there was no such thing as a fishing rod then I would be using a handheld spear if need be to bring dinner home.

While I do get that people see fishing as a sport, they are usually the people who have to much money & have no need for concern otherwise to put food on the table either individually or for a family.

But each to their own, whatever your reason for fishing it is your reason & doesn't concern anyone else but if you promote your version them be prepared to be met with both accolades & criticism.

I don't practise catch and release, I keep everything I catch (legal of course) and love eating fresh fish. Like you and others I also enjoy the preparation and hunt.

This post is about what we love about fishing....the experiences...the miracles witnessed on the water !

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, GoingFishing said:

This post is about what we love about fishing....the experiences...the miracles witnessed on the water !

Sure I get that, to me the experiences are the bi product of fishing & I love that about fishing.

If I want to go sight seeing then I would book a tour, if I wanted to go dolphin watching then I would book a tour.

We are lucky we get to have many experiences when we head out, they all contribute to a great day's fishing, even made better when we bring home the bacon 😉

7 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Well there is such a thing as a pig fish right 😜🤣

Touche .....  yes yes you are correct - I'll concede that point - now please post in the kitchen how you make Bacon from a pig fish !!!! 🍽️

And this is yet ANOTHER example of why I like fishing ... like minded people who don't take themselves too seriously and can give and take ... the sea has a way of humbling us all.

Cheers Z

• Like 4

The feeling of the unknown when you are reeling in a fish and you don't know what is it. Every time you hook something you can never be sure what is actually on the end of your line. 

Then there is the actual fight thats quite fun. Or is it the anticipation of a hookup? The amazing sound and sight of surface take. The sound of drag screaming is pretty nice! What about landing a personal best fish or a new species that you have never caught or even seen before. The amazing sight to see bust-ups or even bait fish school up in burley. Salty sea smell or fresh river smell?!

The beautiful scenery that surrounds water is nice. Couple that with some friends to talk with, or go it alone and have some time just on your own. It might be the most expensive way to get food for free but the fun you get it, totally worth it!

Edited by James Clain
  • Like 4

What is there not to love about fishing? With maybe the exception of the kids deserting me when it’s time to clean the boat. 😩

I enjoy the entire journey. From the deciding to go, to making “the plan”, the preparation of rods, reels and gear. The sleepless night before hand and waking up two hours before my alarm buzzing at the possibilities 

And then the actual time comes! Quick coffee, make lunches and off we go! Travelling out the heads in the pitch black of night and hoping I got the forecast right! 🤔 

The only part I don’t like, that I become inpatient at, is the time it takes to hit my first mark before I can start casting. 
The rest of the day is just pure pleasure. Casting, catching, chatting, observing my surrounds, watching dolphins, whales and what ever the ocean throws up! 

cheers scratchie!!!

• Like 5

Everyone enjoys fishing in different ways ! Some people go for the hunt, some go for the relaxation, some go for both. There is no wrong or right answer !! That certainly is one of the the special things about fishing. 

I recall many years ago I hooked what was clearly a small flathead, I could feel the small tell tale headshakes and half way up the retrieve in 20m my rod bent over and the headshakes suddenly got heavier and more powerful !!!! Get it to the surface and lo and behold a 50cm flatty, in the net......and what's in it's gob? A 15cm flatty with my hook in it !! That was memorable.

I'll also never forget my first trip to the FAD. I tried to sleep the night before but failed miserably. The excitement was too much. Got to the ramp at 3am with no sleep. Caught live bait to 5am and headed out in the dark. Got to the FAD just as the sun cracked over the horizon. First livey down and it was inhaled by a mahi.

Line peeling off.....fish jumping...came to the surface and the colors took my breath away.

Never forget that day.... April 2014

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

I tried to sleep the night before but failed miserably. The excitement was too much.

Haha 😂 even with the amount of fishing I do, that is still me every trip! Lol 😝 

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

i like being immersed in nature.

I like spending time with family and friends.

I like spending time totally alone.

i like eating fresh seafood.

i like cooking and sharing fresh seafood.

i like solving problems.

i like learning.

i like sharing my expertise.

I like to relax, unwind, destress and recharge.

i like exploring new places.

11 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

i like being immersed in nature.

I like spending time with family and friends.

I like spending time totally alone.

i like eating fresh seafood.

i like cooking and sharing fresh seafood.

i like solving problems.

i like learning.

i like sharing my expertise.

I like to relax, unwind, destress and recharge.

i like exploring new places.

So I gather you LIKE fishing and BOATING 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Haha 😂 even with the amount of fishing I do, that is still me every trip! Lol 😝 

I believe you!!! I won't say that happens to me every trip these days but it certainly happens alot. Especially during summer when I'm offshore. That electric blue water gets me CHARGED

• Like 1

There is nothing like Sunrise on Pittwater, with a Fishing Rod in one hand and a Coffee in the other hand, and one of the Kids driving the boat, heading for Lion Island.

Cheers.

• Like 4