South coast flooding

noelm

Hope everyone down South is OK, we got smacked big time here, gale force winds, torrential rain and huge swell, and looking at the news, Sussex Inlet and places are flooded now, keep dry everyone. A couple of pictures of the swell yesterday.

7A896449-F141-4080-980A-76C604B9EC8B.jpeg

494A4173-E929-4BEC-8828-AB57543E9DAB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The water in Sussex is slowly receding.There will be a large amount of run in from upstream. I measured 450mm of rain in two and a half days. All the usual low level flooding.

• Like 1

We sure had some rain, coupled with the wind, it was a nightmare, we got water into places we have never had before, the beach out the front has had about 2m of height taken off it, nature can do some serious work at times.

13 hours ago, Jocler said:

Pictures of the Bega River and the road into Bega.

Good rains though!

J

Bega River 1.jpg

bega River.jpg

road in 2.jpg

road in.jpg

That's crazy @Jocler. We've certainly had a pasting unfortunately this year from mother nature and others hey. As you said, good rains though and hopefully it has flushed out some of the local rivers and lakes and given them a new lease of life. Wallaga Lake I know could do with a flush out...and hopefully the rains actually reopened it to the ocean.

44 minutes ago, Mullatt said:

That's crazy @Jocler. We've certainly had a pasting unfortunately this year from mother nature and others hey. As you said, good rains though and hopefully it has flushed out some of the local rivers and lakes and given them a new lease of life. Wallaga Lake I know could do with a flush out...and hopefully the rains actually reopened it to the ocean.

The river is open at Mogareeka now which means the river will be getting a good flushing, hopefully Wapengo, Pambula and Merimbula will be as well. Its been a few years since this has happened so looking forward to some good fishing in the future.

• Like 1

The Bega River was opened up on the 15th or 16th at Mogareeka, I've got some photos somewhere.

It was awesome to watch with that big low pressure generating huge waves and the river belting out chewing out the sand.

Stuffed the fishing plans though, all good.

Wapengo was open.

24 minutes ago, JonD said:

Dalmeny had much the same. The lake was getting close to flooding homes around the lake, so the local fire volunteers opened it up once the seas backed down a bit.

Are you going to try spinning for some salmon?   :blink:

Should be a few reds about when things settle.

1 minute ago, Yowie said:

Are you going to try spinning for some salmon?   :blink:

Should be a few reds about when things settle.

The beaches are already looking great for salmon. My crazy daughter fished soft plastics this morning off the rocks but only managed wrasse and pike, which she was still thrilled about!!!

• Like 1

By the way, the police came down the beach and told the kids to go home. So they came back after dark and surfed out the front of the lake after dark under car headlights!!! crazy little chaps. I would of rather seen them having fun in the daylight rather than have them do it after the police go home for dinner. Same old thing plenty of kids around doing petty crime but they feel the need to buts the kids clinging trees and surfing.

This may be a silly or obvious question Jon, but why is it left to local volunteers to open the estuary, why not the local council?

Don't know if you were around there in 2010, but my wife and I were on holidays there when the big downpour (300 mm in 24 hours) and subsequent floods occurred. We were staying in the Big 4 park and had to move up the hill to other accommodation, as both North & South highways were blocked.

I remember all the young kids "surfing" the water channels rushing down down the fairways at the Golf Club.

Pic attached is the water pouring out of Mummaga Lake at Dalmeny.

1248851769_DalmenyFeb2010.thumb.jpg.c16be30e024bd6ce84ac50ace084d91a.jpg

Edited by Mullatt

3 hours ago, Mullatt said:

This may be a silly or obvious question Jon, but why is it left to local volunteers to open the estuary, why not the local council?

Don't know if you were around there in 2010, but my wife and I were on holidays there when the big downpour (300 mm in 24 hours) and subsequent floods occurred. We were staying in the Big 4 park and had to move up the hill to other accommodation, as both North & South highways were blocked.

I remember all the young kids "surfing" the water channels rushing down down the fairways at the Golf Club.

Pic attached is the water pouring out of Mummaga Lake at Dalmeny.

1248851769_DalmenyFeb2010.thumb.jpg.c16be30e024bd6ce84ac50ace084d91a.jpg

Yes it's quite ridiculous, council actually stop people opening them up and seem quite happy for people to get flooded out. Yes I was here in 2010 and many homes including the fire hall went deep under in my neighbourhood. The cost to the fire hall and equipment was no doubt why the fireies were digging it open this time and no sign of any council.

• Like 1

Oh I'm sure Council were duly concerned(??!!) Its just that they were busy engaging an external consultant(s) prior to reviewing the "Management Plan" for the park/entrance whilst waiting for a response from the appropriate State Government Agencies and "legal advice" and a multitude of internal reports prior to "making a decision"

It happens all along the coast - that is the Council inaction offset by the "local initiative" to get things done.

As always - than God for the Firies

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Im not sure where the joke is here when your dealing with peoples lives & livelyhoods 🤔

Lighten up mate, some people take life too seriously......if I offended you, apologies, but these are pics I took in 2010 and to my knowledge nobody drowned on the bowls green or the footy oval 🙄