hand held VHF or fixed?

Drought Breaker

Evening all and hope you had a cracker weekend.

So I have a 27MHZ marine radio but looking at adding a VHF for extra safety etc. I have a 5m freedom sport Quintrex and don't go any further out then FADS.Tossing up whether to just get a handheld as opposed to fixed?. 

Fixed have obviously longer range but more expensive then handheld but handheld has the advantage with a water proof model in worse case scenario of boat sinking where you can still use the radio.

Just wondering if anyone has the hand helds and used them back to base at Crowdy and port Stephens FADS?

Only $50 or so more than a handheld, depending on the model. Plus antenna and installation, of course. Money well spent, in my opinion. Port Stephens FAD is about 12nm out - I want the power of a fixed unit. If the boat’s sinking, I want the EPIRB activated by then!

• Like 2

Hey guys my hand held works very well, crystal clear reception way north of Broughton, fad and all way around Crowdy north and south, holds heaps of charge at least 4-5 trips has never gone flat, clip it or tie it on anywhere.

826638FA-EDB9-42C5-9730-273ABE2403F3.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Hey guys my hand held works very well, crystal clear reception way north of Broughton, fad and all way around Crowdy north and south, holds heaps of charge at least 4-5 trips has never gone flat, clip it or tie it on anywhere.

Probably the best thing they have going for them is that radios work on line of site or via repeaters.

Being that there are no mountains in the way on the ocean at sea lever it gives a 5W radio with 20km of range a good chance of working.

That's if conditions suit.

I've use 20km range Uhf's trying to contact someone 1km away in hilly terrain & had trouble.

Vhf signal might be slightly different but anything that is not using satellite when conditions turn sour will have trouble.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

How long does the battery last on a handheld? I leave my radio on all the time from when I leave the ramp until I return to the ramp. That way, I can hear alerts, weather reports, calls for help from nearby boats that I may be able to assist etc., plus chatter that might lead to fish. Can a handheld last that long?

3 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

How long does the battery last on a handheld? I leave my radio on all the time from when I leave the ramp until I return to the ramp. That way, I can hear alerts, weather reports, calls for help from nearby boats that I may be able to assist etc., plus chatter that might lead to fish. Can a handheld last that long?

BG, with a lot of hand helds now using lithium ions battery life is pretty good, depending on use of course but on standby up to 30 hours is not uncommon & some have IP67 waterproof ratings.

Still I don't think they are a good primary radio but a great back up.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

4-5 trips Chatter clatter and batter ramp to ramp.

• Like 1

I regularly check my hand held GME VHF to a repeater some 60km away, albeit from my balcony some 15-20m above sea level. (holiday house)

I have hit the same repeater from the top of the ranges behind Adelaide, I'm estimating a bit over 100km. Not perfect transmission but I could talk to the VMR on Kangaroo Island.

Antenna height IS EVERYTHING.  Extra power (25W) helps in crappy conditions.

If your being tossed around in heavy weather you WILL wish you bought the fixed radio.

4 hours ago, dmck said:

Antenna height IS EVERYTHING.  Extra power (25W) helps in crappy conditions.

I've been doing a bit or reading recently & the old adage of antenna height seems mainly applicable to the older grounded versions where as the newer ground independant antenna's can be mounted almost anywhere & many of them are pretty short to.

I could be wrong but thats how I have taken it?

I have a GME 5 Watt UHF hand held.Never had a problem with it. 5 years old, still has the orginal battery. I use it nearly every day as I drive on the M1.

Depending where I am I change Antennas.

Edited by Rebel

On 8/2/2020 at 7:37 PM, Wildcat said:

I like the look of the snap and cord. Did that come with the radio or did you buy it separately? An advantage of handled is that you can clip it to your lifejacket when fishing alone.

Edited by kingfishbig

33 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

I like the look of the snap and cord. Did that come with the radio or did you buy it separately? And advantage of handled is that you can clip it to your lifejacket when fishing alone.

Got a few from work?..

I have a hand held as I spent every last dime on the money pit (actually might name my boat). I get good reception my trips are inshore, 12 Mile, fads north and south etc. Its legal but Im saving for a real one. Having said that rarely go more than 30mins any where off sydney with out seeing a boat nearby.

I have a handheld but they are super annoying! They work fine but don't have the same rang as fixed. The issues are the battery dies quick especially after about a year. Then when you go to use it, the thing is probably not charged. Or was charged but they wear down pretty quick.

7 minutes ago, Rebel said:

If you buy a good brand like the hand held GME TX Models you will not have problem. Mine is over five years old, same battery. Never missed a beat.

Cheers

While GME radio's are great quality & Australian made TX model radio's are all UHF not VHF.

If you want GME VHF marine radio your looking at the GX models.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Rebel said:

You are dreamin. My radio works well any where. I don't need your crap.

If its a TX(UHF) your using then you wont be able to contact marine rescue or other boats for that matter, fact!!

UHF is a different frequency to VHF so the 2 cant talk to each other!

I think you need to gets your facts straight before posting incorrect information @Rebel.

Of course if you want to take out a UHF radio on the water to talk to another boater who you know has a UHF radio then depending on conditions you could talk to them but as mentioned if you want to get rescued then no one in another boat or marine rescue will be listeneing.

All I am doing is just stating the facts dude :thumbup:

Edited by kingie chaser