The Gem of a Thursday 13.08.2020 Browns Mnt

zmk1962

Hey Raiders, a quick short report. The Sydney rains subsided (finally) and the offshore conditions calmed - Wayno and I had a free Thursday so Browns it was. We hit Ermo boat ramp around 630am (no Mr Asia - guess it was too warm for him at 8C), and were well on our way by 7am. 

Conditions through the Harbour and offshore were spectacularly smooth - once at the heads a 40min 55kmh trip to Browns - my fastest in memory. 

At Browns found the water Temp 18C, and surprisingly the drift was W-E at 1.8-2.0kmh. Quite a few boats there and more to arrive through the morning.

We ran the 15HP Aux in slow reverse and held spot at our chosen mark - usual bait, squid, salted pillies. I also added a glow stick shoved into the body of the lumo plastic squids. Here's a few pictures:

image.thumb.png.6085494077de9d15a49ac066f2aaf5ee.png

image.thumb.png.70d0d1d3721b84673d9f2658c89f47ff.png

image.thumb.png.e7a3e4188394da75ab2257df21856c28.png

By 1030am the count was 3 - Wayno, 0 - Zoran-oh ohhh !

But the gods shined on me and I managed to pull up the horse of the day - to take the total count to 4.

image.png.e83f480eea50d5d1ea5aaff7847d773d.png 

image.png.9fb654022d1dde6e73b57339ba8eef4c.png

image.png.fa06600c98cd4f5719560003e12d2ed5.png

We ended the day at 1130am, bagged out  - so raced back to Sydney heads for a flattie drift which produced zero.

Sinker tally - 5 donated to the deep - two taken on the way down - sharp tug tug and then no weight - all bait coming up intact - what takes a 2kg steel sinker on the way down at around 200-300m ???? One sinker lost with the horse tangling both lines and cutting off the braid on one. 

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice work Zoran & Wayno :thumbup:.

Do you ever try the peak on the way back or waste of time to you or wrong direction or to crowded??

Just curious.

Hi KC, coming out of Port Jackson Brown's is 40km SE, and you travel almost directly over 12mile. So I do often stop around 12mile to see if I can sound some bait balls or other activity. To return via Peak it would add 20-25km to the trip. It's on the cards one day but I just have not done it as yet.

Cheers Z

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frankS said:

Nice fish and a great report and photos. I would guess barracoota the culprit for the loss of the sinkers, but unusual not to see evidence of them.

Hmmm barracoota could be a possibility, but why would they be interested in a 30cm black steel rod descending at free spool speed 2-3m below the squid/pillie/lumo jigs?  I'm perplexed. 

Two of these were taken on the way down --- 

image.png.8bfb7fbc5c0387f3a2018f64900c3b50.png

@61 crusher and I had the same experience last time around, but from memory they were on the retrieve, which was slower and with the wave action may impart a jigging like action...

Cheers Z

• Haha 1

Just now, zmk1962 said:

Hmmm barracoota could be a possibility, but why would they be interested in a 30cm black steel rod descending at free spool speed 2-3m below the squid/pillie/lumo jigs?  I'm perplexed. 

Two of these were taken on the way down --- 

image.png.8bfb7fbc5c0387f3a2018f64900c3b50.png

@61 crusher and I had the same experience last time around, but from memory they were on the retrieve, which was slower and with the wave action may impart a jigging like action...

Cheers Z

Now that ingenuity & much cheaper than lead 😁

And more eco friendly to lead!

1 minute ago, kingie chaser said:

Now that ingenuity & much cheaper than lead 😁

And more eco friendly to lead!

Trust me its more ingenious and much less effort to have a FR mate like Dieter who can keep you in supply of sash weights ! :28:The alternative requires a full time operation: Procurement, Manufacturing (cutting, welding), Finishing (painting), Storage and Distribution... 

Cheers Z

image.png.1524c54206a76106d03bd0bfa0de4e5f.png

• Like 3

Nice fish there, the big ones look very nice, big fillets off them.

I've had a small Mako grab my lead sinkers from the bottom, but not touch the baits. He took 2 snapper leads and chewed off both near the boat, the baits untouched. :o

• Thanks 1

Nice swag of jemmies there Zoran & Wayno, that one you caught is a brute & you guys almost managed to bag out 👍

I wonder if the paint on the rio-bar ribs gives a bit of contrast bling & attracts whatever is taking them, maybe a couple of 20/0 hooks & some wire attached similar to your flathead rigs 😂 What ever is munching on those weights is big like sharks or maybe broadbill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Nice swag of jemmies there Zoran & Wayno, that one you caught is a brute & you guys almost managed to bag out 👍

I wonder if the paint on the rio-bar ribs gives a bit of contrast bling & attracts whatever is taking them, maybe a couple of 20/0 hooks & some wire attached similar to your flathead rigs 😂 What ever is munching on those weights is big like sharks or maybe broadbill

Hahaha that would be grand but I just implemented the 2m 40lb sinker breakaway trace so I don’t lose the rigs if we snag bottom ... we’d be fighting the mako or bill on 40lb mono 🤣🤣🤣
cheers Z