Squidgy durability

JamoDamo

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I agree .... but @Yowie may take objection to it 🤣

cheers Zoran 

Well Zoran, I do have a number of packets of soft plastics, of different brands. Some of the gulps have dried out ( I suppose 4 or 5 years in a tackle box has not helped :074:

I do use plastics once or twice a year, (accompanied by the sounding of trumpets and bikini clad dancing women when a packet is opened 😂 )

HOWEVER, I do like bait.

Dave.

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, Yowie said:

Well Zoran, I do have a number of packets of soft plastics, of different brands. Some of the gulps have dried out ( I suppose 4 or 5 years in a tackle box has not helped :074:

I do use plastics once or twice a year, (accompanied by the sounding of trumpets and bikini clad dancing women when a packet is opened 😂 )

HOWEVER, I do like bait.

Dave.

I often wondered what caused that fanfare of trumpets - so now I know. 
Wow I also knew that we salt and dry down pillies and bonnie fillets but I think you have set a first for drying gulps! Gees now that’s being progressive.

Anyway seems we have established that gulps (SPs) are indeed bait and that has reminded me I need to follow up the swordies regarding my SP bait record submission. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As many have noted, Gulps work but boy do they get picked at. I tried the new Bait Junkies last trip and they work alright, but are also easily eaten away by pickers or toothy critters. Plazos, not enough action. I'll be staying with the Zmans from now on (except for the sand worms Gulps for whiting). Mat. 

Anything on a hook is defined as bait isnt it??

Then there lay's the problem of what is the definition between the real & not real. 

At the end of the day, its either an artificial bait or otherwise fresh bait.................problem solved :insane:

On 5/23/2021 at 2:43 PM, kingie chaser said:

Anything on a hook is defined as bait isnt it??

Then there lay's the problem of what is the definition between the real & not real. 

At the end of the day, its either an artificial bait or otherwise fresh bait.................problem solved :insane:

Bait is fresh, frozen or salted animal (fish, pippi, squid, worms, prawns, etc). REAL FOOD.

Anything else is ARTIFICIAL (Zoran's or Scratchie's plazttick things), therefore NOT REAL FOOD.

There ends the lesson.  :074:

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Bait is fresh, frozen or salted animal (fish, pippi, squid, worms, prawns, etc). REAL FOOD.

Anything else is ARTIFICIAL (Zoran's or Scratchie's plazttick things), therefore NOT REAL FOOD.

There ends the lesson.  :074:

I know your an Ex detective Yowie but I think we might have to go the extra mile & get the barristers in here to get to the bottom of this 🤭

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bait

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

I guess WEED not being animal must be plastic then 🤔

cheers Zoran 

• Haha 1

Bait in my opinion is anything that was or is living, plastics on the other hand are artificial baits so ie gulps and don't get me wrong you probably could deadstick a gulp sandworm and still hook up!

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, JamoDamo said:

Bait in my opinion is anything that was or is living, plastics on the other hand are artificial baits so ie gulps and don't get me wrong you probably could deadstick a gulp sandworm and still hook up!

Probably. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Yowie said:

F#@*#*g vegetarians.  :074:

Yes us Veggies do exist !

....But I guess you have to agree weed is bait !  ... and weed being a plant, makes wood with hooks a bait ... hmmm the conundrum thickens. 

And to @JamoDamo's point .... feathers tied to a hook would be bait... they were once part of a living thing.

And as for being man made ..... dough and bread are man made from things that were once living ... and make damn good bait for many species .... 

And just like dough, plastics are man made .... from oil ... and oil itself just happens to come from things that were once living - forests, plankton etc buried under rock for millions of years ..... 

Hmmmm ... its pretty much pointing to @kingie chaser's view that anything you stick on a hook is BAIT ! .... the only exception being a chunk of metal - that would be a lure then - imitating BAIT.

Cheers Zoran 😎 😇  :fish_h4h:

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

my 2c, we have bait, and things that mimic bait.....

or bait, and artificial bait, I mean a hard body lure is mimicking a small fish etc just as a SP is....

I read somewhere the reason SP's were invented was they were supposed to be a biodegradable lure....a fisho in the states got sick of seeing so many hard body plastic lures underwater not breaking down......

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Yes us Veggies do exist !

....But I guess you have to agree weed is bait !  ... and weed being a plant, makes wood with hooks a bait ... hmmm the conundrum thickens. 

And to @JamoDamo's point .... feathers tied to a hook would be bait... they were once part of a living thing.

And as for being man made ..... dough and bread are man made from things that were once living ... and make damn good bait for many species .... 

And just like dough, plastics are man made .... from oil ... and oil itself just happens to come from things that were once living - forests, plankton etc buried under rock for millions of years ..... 

Hmmmm ... its pretty much pointing to @kingie chaser's view that anything you stick on a hook is BAIT ! .... the only exception being a chunk of metal - that would be a lure then - imitating BAIT.

Cheers Zoran 😎 😇  :fish_h4h:

Obviously too much time on your hands, straining your brain with this. The chemicals in the plazticks you use are affecting you. Just go fishing!!!  🤪:074:

2 hours ago, Rey05 said:

I read somewhere the reason SP's were invented was they were supposed to be a biodegradable lure....a fisho in the states got sick of seeing so many hard body plastic lures underwater not breaking down......

A few years ago, I pulled up a reddie about 6 inches long. Just sticking out of it's rear end was a 2 inch soft plastic, so I pulled it out and the jig head was still attached. That sure made the little reddie's eyes water 🤣 it shook like crazy, and when I threw the reddie back in, it took off like a rocket.

The plastic looked fairly new, so I would guess there are other plastics that have been dumped on the bottom and eaten by fish.

Many years ago, a mate and I scuba dived south of Cronulla and found many sinkers on the bottom, so we returned a few days later with empty 2 litre milk containers and collected the sinkers. Over several days we collected quite a few loads, and made 70 one pound snapper sinkers, then sold them to a tackle shop.

There were also hooks and other odds and ends on the rocky bottom. It is not hard to imagine how many sinkers are scattered around Aus on the bottom. 

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Oh @Yowie pm me a list and I will get a watch on them 😂😂

Donna… Get ready for a long list of every FishRaider that has ever mentioned SPs 🤣😂

I can guess who might be at the top of the list 

cheers Zoran 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:54 PM, Pickles said:

The Gulps are so successful at catching fish, I keep the 1/2 eaten ones for catching the Yakkas for live bait.

I will have to try this!!!! I love the proactiveness of plastic fishing but its plastic? one of my bugbears .