Productive session on Flathead

Killer

Went out for a fishing session this morning in a mates Haines 580F, with the intention of getting some flathead and then venturing further south out of Port Hacking, to a spot where I used to catch plenty of snapper. It was a nice morning and the conditions were expected to improve. A bit of a SW was blowing, but the surprise was the swell and sloppy, choppy water conditions. Got to our spot after some 30 minutes and got immediate hits for all three of us. In no time at all, we had our 20 flathead limit and there were a couple of big girls amongst them. The part 2 plan didn't eventuate, as one of our members had a bit of a chuck over the side and felt pretty seedy, being tossed around by the short, multi-directional chop. The wind had also changed to the south, so we called it an early day after 3 hours. I have been out to sea in small boats hundreds of times, in all conditions, including 8 years working the Police Launch out of Port Hacking and have had crew being sea sick, but the show had to go on if we had a tow or a rescue to get to. I have never been sea sick and told my blokes to get over it. Today was payback. I was the one who suffered. Couldn't believe it. Anyway, a successful morning and some delicious flathead tails in breadcrumbs for dinner tonight. No photos sorry. Have to get out again soon and see if I get sick again.

• Like 7

Klaus. Good report and thanks for sharing with us. 20 Flathead shared between 3 is a great effort .

I too used to go out in all sorts of conditions for probably the best part of 40 years, then one day I succumbed to the dreaded sea sickness ( didn't think it would ever happen to me ) worst feeling ever. Since my 2nd heart attack the doctors have advised against me going outside the heads. I do miss the open seas.

Frank

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, frankS said:

I too used to go out in all sorts of conditions for probably the best part of 40 years, then one day I succumbed to the dreaded sea sickness ( didn't think it would ever happen to me ) worst feeling ever. Since my 2nd heart attack the doctors have advised against me going outside the heads. I do miss the open seas.

Frank

Maybe we are both getting older Frank?  Yet another age related condition :)  Sea sickness

Great report Killer and thanks for your years of community service to us - I had to get towed back by water police 20 years ago and it was the best feeling knowing the good guys are out there to look after us.

(I never mind getting checked by any of the authorities)

• Like 2

Good report, a feed of flatties is always welcome. 

On the sea sickness, i used to get it as a child but grew out of it, now the only time I feel a bit off is when i fish on a new boat.

On my boat never, but on the rare occasion I'll do a charter or fish on a different boat it can get me. Must be something about the way different boats pitch and roll in the waves that gets me. 

Last time I felt off i was fishing in my dad's boat for the first time in a couple of years, even though I had been out on that boat 100's of times previously.

Ash