12 Mile reef

Blade

Hi Raiders

I am doing some research on fishing 12 mile reef.

So far my plan is to launch at the Bonna Point ramp and get out to 12 mile from there.

I am looking for some advise:

1 I live in Surherland Shire is there a better ramp to launch from?

2 If I launch at Bonna Point where is the best place to stop and get some livies and or some squid

Thanks 

Have you used Bonna Point ramp before?   I have heard it can be quite shallow. 

Most people get livies over near the tug boats at mol point.   I think you could try and burley them up easy enough near captain cook landing spot.   Squid are also in the Kurnell watts reef area.   

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Welster said:

Most people get livies over near the tug boats at mol point.   I think you could try and burley them up easy enough near captain cook landing spot.   Squid are also in the Kurnell watts reef area.   

image.thumb.png.9743803d483b76f5f7d05245ec036f18.pngso where exactly on the attached map is watts reef... i have heard about it but never really managed to find it when out there.

Also the elusive hot water outlet i have heard people talk about

sorry for the thread hijack

2 hours ago, M1100S said:

image.thumb.png.9743803d483b76f5f7d05245ec036f18.pngso where exactly on the attached map is watts reef... i have heard about it but never really managed to find it when out there.

Also the elusive hot water outlet i have heard people talk about

sorry for the thread hijack

The area around the red circle is watts reef, you can tell by what you catch.  

The green circle is around the hot water outlet from memory you could pick it up with the temp gauge on tge sounder.    I haven't fished near it gir ages and I'm wondering if it even exists now that we don't refine oil, assuming that's what it was about. 

6ADC3986-D1D6-448A-A4E4-34DB28980C0E.png

• Thanks 2

On 10/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, Welster said:

Haven't used Bona Point ramp, I usually launch at Water Street ramp in the Hacking. Are there other ramps I could look to launch from. Happy to drive if it gets me closer to 12mile. Was thinking with the northerly winds that pick up in the afternoon I wanted to launch at a ramp that I would be travelling south to get to. 

1 hour ago, Blade said:

Haven't used Bona Point ramp, I usually launch at Water Street ramp in the Hacking. Are there other ramps I could look to launch from. Happy to drive if it gets me closer to 12mile. Was thinking with the northerly winds that pick up in the afternoon I wanted to launch at a ramp that I would be travelling south to get to. 

1 hour ago, Blade said:

For the bay I mostly use Kyeema or Foreshore drive sometimes so I can't help much.   Maybe it's easiest to go and have a look or do a bait collecting run and see what happens.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blade said:

Nothing wrong with Bona ramp, its a small 2 lane ramp but more than decent & has a pontoon & a breakwall. 

In regards to distance to 12 mile well to me its about wave direction & weather conditions but its a pretty similar distance from say Rose bay Lyne park as it is from Bona ramp.

So its about your proximity to either ramp & the wave/weather conditions.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

What size is your boat. Bonna point is extremely shallow on a low tide. You would need to time your arrival and return to the ramp away from peak low tide.

In any case. I wouldn't drop anything longer than 5m there.

Its a 5.5m Stessl Bluewater. Is Bonna Point shallower than The water Street ramp? 

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

What size is your boat. Bonna point is extremely shallow on a low tide. You would need to time your arrival and return to the ramp away from peak low tide.

In any case. I wouldn't drop anything longer than 5m there.

Imo the ramp is fine, it's the surrounding area that's the issue but like any ramp you need to leave & approach observing the markers.

From memory even at low tide it's still around 3 to 4mtrs depth on the approach/departure.

Again like any ramp you need to get to know the surrounding area & approach & depart with caution.

Of course your boat size will matter.but also coupled with a dead low tide could make it interesting.

Like any ramp if in doubt go & have a look, launch at mid to high tide & check it out.

Edited by kingie chaser

23 minutes ago, Blade said:

Its a 5.5m Stessl Bluewater. Is Bonna Point shallower than The water Street ramp? 

Ive never tried water st. But if your fishing out of a 5.5m you could try Foreshore rd. 

20 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Imo the ramp is fine, it's the surrounding area that's the issue but like any ramp you need to leave & approach observing the markers.

From memory even at low tide it's still around 3 to 4mtrs depth on the approach/departure.

Again like any ramp you need to get to know the surrounding area & approach & depart with caution.

Of course your boat size will matter.but also coupled with a dead low tide could make it interesting.

Like any ramp if in doubt go & have a look, launch at mid to high tide & check it out.

You might have the ramp mixed up with anothrr ramp. Last time i dropped my 4.6m renegade in there i could stand knee deep at the end of the pontoon there. Even navionics shows water from 1m to 0.7m in depth. Definately no where near 3 or 4 m in depth there.

Screenshot_20201006-212212_Samsung Internet.jpg

25 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Ive never tried water st. But if your fishing out of a 5.5m you could try Foreshore rd. 

You might have the ramp mixed up with anothrr ramp. Last time i dropped my 4.6m renegade in there i could stand knee deep at the end of the pontoon there. Even navionics shows water from 1m to 0.7m in depth. Definately no where near 3 or 4 m in depth there.

Screenshot_20201006-212212_Samsung Internet.jpg

Did you launch successfully?

Edited by kingie chaser

7 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Did you launch?

I dropped the boat in on high tide and was oblivious to the true extent of how shallow the water is. On my return i bottomed out the motor on the sand about 5m from the ramp. We had to trim the motor all the way up and walk the boat to the pontoon then walk it again to the trailer.

You understand why i remember it so clearly 😂😂

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

I dropped the boat in on high tide and was oblivious to the true extent of how shallow the water is. On my return i bottomed out the motor on the sand about 5m from the ramp. We had to trim the motor all the way up and walk the boat to the pontoon then walk it again to the trailer.

You understand why i remember it so clearly 😂😂

Sure, it could very well be like that.

I have only used it once in my 4m runabout & must have got the tides right 😉

Yes that whole area is quite shallow & its around there that I put my crab traps!

As mentioned here & other threads, if your going to use a ramp for the first time it pays to go & check them out

Plenty other ramps around @Blade , havent used the one at Gunnamatta bay but @Yowie might be able tohelp you being a local?

The other ramps that I have used near there are Hawkesbury park which is tricky to use on your own, Tom ugly's which now has a pontoon but the time I used it found it very slippery, cooks river which is fine & of course Foreshore rd which is the pick but probably a 20 drive but still its only a 5 minute ride & your out the heads.

Anyway good luck whenever you do get out there :biggrinthumb:

Edit: Oh & Yowie bay(wonga rd) is small with minimal parking & sometimes you have to drive up the road & walk say 5 minutes backto the ramp, lots of locals use it in all sorts of sized boats.

Edited by kingie chaser