Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning up from Lilli Pilli. Pulled the jewie and reddie on pillies,  squid and fish strips produced plenty of small reddies. I also pulled out a 73cm flattie, which was released, on fish bait.

A few fish splashing about, but they looked like salmon, just slurping away on tiny baitfish. I found a patch of salmon swimming in the shallow water, sometimes in 2 feet of water near the church camp. Threw a lure many times, only one hit and one salmon, fillets to be salted as bait.

Headed to Maianbar and pumped some nippers, did a lot of drifting in places for the 2 flatties, and 2 undersized ones as well. Not a bite at all on the Lilli Pilli flats, but it does not help when dickheads motor over the shallow flats at 20 or so knots, it is an 8 knot zone. 

The wind blew up fairly early from the north then north-east, so it made drifting rather difficult.

fish.jpeg.270_files.jpg

• Like 15

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Cracker jew, great work as usual yowie :thumbup:

Thank you. thought I had a second one on a handline, but when it took off non stop in a straight line realised it was an eagle ray. Took a while to get it to the boat to confirm what it was.

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

Thank you. thought I had a second one on a handline, but when it took off non stop in a straight line realised it was an eagle ray. Took a while to get it to the boat to confirm what it was.

I'm coming over the the hacking tommorrow morning pending the weather report for a fish & going to try & catch me one of those cracking jews :biggrinthumb:

I havent been to the hacking for ages & the bay is still pretty quiet at the moment so why not, need a change os scenery!

Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

I'm coming over the the hacking tommorrow morning for a fish & going to try & catch me one of those cracking jews :biggrinthumb:

I havent been to the hacking for ages & the bay is still pretty quiet at the moment so why not, need a change os scenery!

May as well give it a go. 

My fishing mate headed past the Gymea bathes yesterday arvo on his walk, saw a number of fishos there, and what appeared to be legal tailor splashing about. Salmon also cruising about in places from Lilli Pilli to the west.

• Thanks 1

I had a later start yesterday only got smaller reddies. Several just over 28 cm, pulled the hook on one good fish.

Then had one quick drift outside kept 2 good flatties enough for a feed then trolled for a while, kept a couple of 37cm tailor.

You had a successful day in the Hacking. I'll have to get out of bed earlier and fish a good spot.

Nice catch.

Bruce

4 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

As always a nice bag Yowie, that jewie will be nice on the plate.

Check out the colors on them flatties !!!! They have been upstream for quite some time !

They were hiding in amongst the dark weedy areas. The 2 small ones were mid brown colour, caught over clean sand.

3 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

I had a later start yesterday only got smaller reddies. Several just over 28 cm, pulled the hook on one good fish.

Then had one quick drift outside kept 2 good flatties enough for a feed then trolled for a while, kept a couple of 37cm tailor.

You had a successful day in the Hacking. I'll have to get out of bed earlier and fish a good spot.

Nice catch.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, happy with a few fish. The sand flats were quiet around Lilli Pilli, a couple of weeks ago the bream were there feeding on squirt worms. Salmon cruising about in places.

Sounds like you caught enough for a feed while outside.

I was up at 3.30am, not as young as I used to be. 😂 

Dave.

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

The platters are again being served Yowie, good to see you back into the mixed species! What depth did the jew come from?

I threw out a bit of distance from the boat, around the 40 to 50 foot mark deep, no sounder on the boat.

5 hours ago, jenno64 said:

the details are gold!

In saying that, jewies are usually deeper during the sunlight hours, though they will swim to the surface during night time and I have caught them on the surface like tailor.

I have heard them just after dark, when I did a lot of late arvo/early night time fishing many years ago, smacking the mullet on the surface near Lilli Pilli.

Some mornings before sun up, I have caught jewies with a belly full of nippers, still fresh, so they have been swimming in the shallows during the night, sucking the nippers out of the sand.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 7:59 PM, Yowie said:

In saying that, jewies are usually deeper during the sunlight hours, though they will swim to the surface during night time and I have caught them on the surface like tailor.

I have heard them just after dark, when I did a lot of late arvo/early night time fishing many years ago, smacking the mullet on the surface near Lilli Pilli.

Some mornings before sun up, I have caught jewies with a belly full of nippers, still fresh, so they have been swimming in the shallows during the night, sucking the nippers out of the sand.

All that info you have stored is reflected in your consistent fishing results, it sure aint luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1