Quobba station

Kyle_9173

Anyone here fished quobba station, can’t find anything in here about it or I’m just not looking hard enough. Curious to know when the Spanish Mackerel are on there for spinning lures. Any other information for any species is greatly appreciated 

The following information has been obtained from the Quobba Station website,https://www.quobba.com.au/fishing

Quobba is a family operated, working pastoral station that borders 80km of Western Australia's spectacular coastline. The 187 000 acre station was established in 1898 and is bounded by Gnarloo Station to the North, Lake McLeod and Boolathana Station to the East/South and the Indian Ocean to the West. 

The Meecham’s have been on Quobba Station for over 40 years, with Tim, Sara and family here for over 22 years. The Station runs approximately 10 000 damaras (South African meat sheep) after originally running merino (wooly) sheep. 

Quobba Station has a reputation as one of Australia’s longest stretches of coastline for Land Base Game Fishing. Try ballooning, spinning, bottom bouncing, salt water fly and spear fishing.

The 80 kms of Quobba Coastline is a unique piece of Australia. There are very few places where you can see such a rugged yet so beautiful coast. With the water depth reaching up to 80ft, casting distance from the rocks, the opportunity to catch game fish is almost unlimited. Spanish Mackerel, Shark Mackerel, Broadbar Mackerel, Cobia, Tuna, Benito, Sharks and Sailfish have all been caught from the Quobba rocks!!!!. Reef fish waiting for you to catch include Norwest Snapper, Pink Snapper, Bald Chin Groper, Queenfish, Trevally and a plethora of other species. You shouldn’t go hungry!

4f9316_028ea541e88d4511a7c8a636a9680a67~

All of the above information 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kyle_9173 said:

Anyone here fished quobba station, can’t find anything in here about it or I’m just not looking hard enough. Curious to know when the Spanish Mackerel are on there for spinning lures. Any other information for any species is greatly appreciated 

I only found 2 references to it on this site which was basically just on peoples wish list.

I just had a look at their site & have now added it to my 4x4 loop trip bucket list :biggrinthumb:

Hate to say it but I think your just better of doing general google searches for info.

• Thanks 1

I visited there a few years ago on my travels up the W.A. coast. No fishing as the swell was rather dangerous at that time. Just a matter of finding a good platform to fish.

An interesting place to visit, some of the kids were born on the farm, and there was a cafe there run by the family, cooked some basic food.

11 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I visited there a few years ago on my travels up the W.A. coast. No fishing as the swell was rather dangerous at that time. Just a matter of finding a good platform to fish.

An interesting place to visit, some of the kids were born on the farm, and there was a cafe there run by the family, cooked some basic food.

Looks like a great part of the country to visit though, if we are ever allowed back in without quarantining :whistling:

Looking at google maps once your up there it seems like you have to back track back down to the main road to go up to Exmouth or can you continue up the coast via Coral bay & Ningaloo??

• Thanks 1

Was there in 2014, didn’t fish, but learnt of the dangers in some fishing spots. The sign is what greets you on the way in, and I spoke to the guys in the other pic, who said they just avoided a wave minutes earlier, although the sea looks calm. This platform has several memorial plaques on it for those who didn’t see a king wave coming.  But I’m sure there are safer spots on offer. 

BD448F0F-1783-48F5-8432-84D33ED59A79.jpeg

B8B724CA-6151-4144-8987-92A47BAAEC82.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billmack said:

Was there in 2014, didn’t fish, but learnt of the dangers in some fishing spots. The sign is what greets you on the way in, and I spoke to the guys in the other pic, who said they just avoided a wave minutes earlier, although the sea looks calm. This platform has several memorial plaques on it for those who didn’t see a king wave coming.  But I’m sure there are safer spots on offer. 

BD448F0F-1783-48F5-8432-84D33ED59A79.jpeg

B8B724CA-6151-4144-8987-92A47BAAEC82.jpeg

😬

Agree with @Billmack it is very dangerous there.
We were there last year on our lap. 

A famous land based game spot .

The sea looked treacherous in first pic below. No fishing unless it’s calm. 

Turn left at sign and go to the free camp on beach (2nd pic)

@Kyle_9173 it would be great to have a report on fishraider if you get there :)

E418A6FD-0A91-42A2-B8E2-E8772C592BFE.jpeg61D2C7FD-91CD-4231-AE6C-65EF5620E9CC.jpegC6E1BDAA-FB6E-4430-8011-9B1B6AFA482B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Ive fished next to the Korean shipwreck on several occasions and due pretty well on spangled emperor and numerous other species. Very large grouper over 100kg would often steel my catch. Also a fair few sharks hunt in close. The guys who were chassing mackerel were mostly chassing them during offshore winds using helium balloons. I lived over that side for a while when I first moved from Sydney and loved fishing that whole coast line.

Personaly now that I'm getting older I would seriously think about carrying equipment for getting in and out of the water and have entry and exit points planned incase of getting washed in. In saying that Ive never seen anything more than the sea conditions we get on the east coast, it's more that many of the ledges are higher and sharper volcanic rock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Looking at google maps once your up there it seems like you have to back track back down to the main road to go up to Exmouth or can you continue up the coast via Coral bay & Ningaloo??

From memory, you can drive further north from the station, but we did not try it. I think the road only travelled so far before it became mountain goat territory, and may not have let you out anywhere.

I looked at having a swim at the station beach, but the waves were around the 8 foot mark and smashing onto the sand, I would have been planted into the sand head first.

• Like 1

To the south of the sign, near the blowholes which were working very well when we were there (if the blowholes are working, it is risky fishing off the rocks) there is a large lagoon. I had a snorkel through there, many fish species to be seen, even saw several lizardfish sitting on the bottom. 

On 11/1/2020 at 8:21 AM, kingie chaser said:

just had a look at their site & have now added it to my 4x4 loop trip bucket list :biggrinthumb:

The whole west coast north of Perth is an amazing area of mostly remote untouched fishing paradise especially from the Korean star ship wreck, red bluff (famous surf break), Quabba, Ningaloo reef, Emouth & all the way up to the Kimberly’s & beyond  

On 11/1/2020 at 9:17 AM, kingie chaser said:

Back in 1989 with my girlfriend (now wife) we stopped for half a day at Q station (windy) & continued along the coast to coral bay, Ningaloo & ended up free camping for 10 weeks about 200ks south of Exmouth 

• Like 1