Heading to port Stephens

Vara

Hi all

have taken a bit of a sabbatical from work for 6 months to get into some fishing and focus on health.

heading up to port Stephens on Tuesday for three days. Do t know the area at all so going to be trial and era. also just took possession of new boat so it will be on trial as well.

hear so many amazing reports of the area. Any tips more than welcome.

Hope all well.

44 minutes ago, Vara said:

Hi all

have taken a bit of a sabbatical from work for 6 months to get into some fishing and focus on health.

heading up to port Stephens on Tuesday for three days. Do t know the area at all so going to be trial and era. also just took possession of new boat so it will be on trial as well.

hear so many amazing reports of the area. Any tips more than welcome.

Hope all well.

This should give you a good insight

Dont forget to get a marine park map from the info centre or download it here-

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/656318/PSGLMP-Zoning-Map-Nov-2019.pdf

Edited by kingie chaser

46 minutes ago, Welster said:

6 months off work sounds pretty awesome to me.

As far as the marine parks go you can use the Fishsmart app which shows the map and where you are on it.  you can see the restrictions for each zone. 

Great tip

Forgot about that app.

If you also allow location permission the app it will show your gps position in relation to the sanctually zones.

Still the download & the paper map gives you the legend for all the restrictions like collecting of bait etc so I think you need both imo.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 1:20 PM, Vara said:

Definitely doing my homework on the parks. Will give it a good bash for three days and report in. Am working my way through all the reports.

thanks for references. 

@Scratchie is the expert on the area. Message him with any specific queries after you have finished researching all the posts 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vara said:

Definitely doing my homework on the parks. Will give it a good bash for three days and report in. Am working my way through all the reports.

thanks for references. 

Also watch out for the sand bars, I went in one channel at high tide to go to Tea Gardens and on the way back it was to low for me to get out, had to back track and come out a different outlet (I followed the Ferry out)

Hey Vara, 

Its a beautiful place to visit but the fishing has been a bit slow of late! 
The bay has started to see some good flatties turn up in the lower half of the bay. And a few Jew caught around the soldiers point area. Tomorrow looks good to fish but the wind from Wednesday to Friday looks a bit challenging. 
Offshore, most of the fish have been caught on the deeper reefs between 30-60m. The bait is starting to show up so there should be a few fish turning up with it. 
Hope that helps,

Cheers scratchie!!!