First Hacking King for the season

hookerbruce

Left ramp about 7 am yesterday caught a few live poddies and headed outside looking for surface /baitfish schools. Went as far south as Wattamolla had a troll at the usual spots nothing  seen or caught. Worked my way back to Port Hacking having a short drop along the , kept 4 blue spot flatties for a meal.

In the river pumped nippers and kept 3 decent whiting from about 20  throwbacks most over 20 cm. Moved and had a try for crabs which normally arrive in Nov. No crabs but a couple of legal bream their lucky day already had a feed of fish. Next went to the edge of the deep water off Lilli Pilli anchored up put out berley fished 3 rods squid livie and pilchard, things were quiet a few reddies not quite legal. Got the little whiting rod out still rigged up for whiting and dropped a nipper into the berley trail hoping for a trevally or bream or something. After a few minutes something playing with the bait so tried to set the hook. Line took off in a straight line thru under the boat full drag about 30 metres of line. After what seemed a long time of over the anchor under the anchor again and again got to see a legal king, it then decided the keel of the boat looked a good place to hide swimming up and down under the boat.

I was lucky normally everything worked and I landed 68 cm king. Doesn't sound big but on a 1-2 kg light whiting rod no.4 whiting hook 2kg mono mainline bit of 12lb trace I was very pleased. Weighed in at 2.39 Kg

Resized_20201109_190617.jpeg

Edited by hookerbruce
Add photo
  • Like 15

Very nice there Bruce, a legal kingie to start the season. A few whiting and blue spots will keep you in fish for a few days.

My mate headed out yesterday arvo with one of his mates, and could only pull out 5 blue spots.

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Very nice there Bruce, a legal kingie to start the season. A few whiting and blue spots will keep you in fish for a few days.

My mate headed out yesterday arvo with one of his mates, and could only pull out 5 blue spots.

Hi Dave

The blue spots were a little quiet for me too, found a few in 45-50 m. The whiting were where you got them last week and disappeared to somewhere as the tide rose. Couldn't find them again but they are good fun in the shallows. 

You seem to do really good on the jew in the hacking.  I'm going to have to learn your secret . Probably get out of bed earlier

Bruce

30 minutes ago, hookerbruce said:

Hi Dave

The blue spots were a little quiet for me too, found a few in 45-50 m. The whiting were where you got them last week and disappeared to somewhere as the tide rose. Couldn't find them again but they are good fun in the shallows. 

You seem to do really good on the jew in the hacking.  I'm going to have to learn your secret . Probably get out of bed earlier

Bruce

I was up at 3.15am, not as easy as when I was younger. 🤣