Couple of trips over the weekend....nice flatty saved the day today!

jenno64

Hit the Hacking in the new rig about 8am on Saturday with my son to fish nippers for whiting. Got a nice bream early on but the whiting didn't show (have to get used to my new grounds). Collected some poddies and tried drifting a few likely areas and was dusted by a good flatty at Maianbar, on a nipper!. Had a troll with the electric on the way back to the ramp and was hit by a good king that took plenty of line. I knew I was in trouble as I had a 10lb leader that I had used for squid and we turned the boat around to chase it but it played dirty and dusted me in some reef, leader came up shredded!!. Wish I had a 20lb leader on so I could have played a bit harder!

The forecast on Sunday was for a calm day so I got myself revved up and caught some poddies in the morning, ready for an arvo bash, first solo voyage in the new tinny. Hit the Georges about 1:30pm to fish the run out and headed straight up to Oyster Bay to drift a couple of my deep water spots. The wind was blowing 15-20 knots and my electric motor was battling to hold ground. No joy so moved out to the drift between the bridges for zilch and tried a couple of other deep water drifts at the mouth of the river for nada. I was just about to give the front of Brighton a go but decided to try to get out of the wind around Towra Point. First drift I came up tight on a nice flatty, boated and measured at 77cm...nice way to christen the new rig. Just after release I hooked two more in quick succession, coming in at 47cm and 53cm for the table. The half hour at 5:30pm saved the day! Headed back to the ramp about 7 and managed to drive the boat onto my trailer with the help of a young boatie who gave me some great tips. 

A pretty good end to a tough arvo out, made up for getting smoked by a good king on Saturday! Kayak fishing was so much simpler but at least I can now zoom from spot to spot! Looking forward to the next trip:)

35cm bream December 5 2020.JPG

77 cm flatty December 6 2020.jpg

Flatty December 6 2020 (2).jpg

• Like 7