Soft plastics question.

Fab1

On 1/30/2021 at 8:47 AM, Fab1 said:

I'm assuming with plastics you avoid the dreaded pickers you get with bait yes?I'm assuming you either get a decent fish or you don't? I know some of the fish will be underside of course.

Last question if fish like tailor are about how do you avoid/minimise plastic decapitation?

Thank you on this lovely rainy morning.

Last time I was using plastics when Flathead drifting they were completely destroyed after 1 drift. Real small bite marks left on the little that remained on the hook.
Some of my baits lasted longer 🙂 

30 minutes ago, GordoRetired said:

Last time I was using plastics when Flathead drifting they were completely destroyed after 1 drift. Real small bite marks left on the little that remained on the hook.
Some of my baits lasted longer 🙂 

Sounds like leatherjackets. They just leave the bits they can't get between the serations of the hook keeper at times.

• Like 1

Hi Fab1,

If the tails start getting bitten off the plastics then generally tailor and then I switch to a halco twisty or similar lure with a hook on the tail end.

Generally when I'm fishing off a wharf and the plastics start getting nibbled as they get in close it is usually small leather jackets (Sydney Piranha).

To a degree you can get around this with some bite resistant plastics such as Z-mans but the downsides is they are often a pain to rig perfectly and they do not play well with other plastics as there seems to be a chemical reaction.

Since I started fishing with plastics and lures I generally found the size/quality of the fish I was catching to be better. You usually avoid hooking up on the pickers and skip up to the predatory sized fish. Not always the case but it is one of the reasons I've stuck with it and don't see myself stopping either. 

Regards,

Derek

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Hi Fab1,

If the tails start getting bitten off the plastics then generally tailor and then I switch to a halco twisty or similar lure with a hook on the tail end.

Generally when I'm fishing off a wharf and the plastics start getting nibbled as they get in close it is usually small leather jackets (Sydney Piranha).

To a degree you can get around this with some bite resistant plastics such as Z-mans but the downsides is they are often a pain to rig perfectly and they do not play well with other plastics as there seems to be a chemical reaction.

Since I started fishing with plastics and lures I generally found the size/quality of the fish I was catching to be better. You usually avoid hooking up on the pickers and skip up to the predatory sized fish. Not always the case but it is one of the reasons I've stuck with it and don't see myself stopping either. 

Regards,

Derek

Will take it all on board.Cheers mate.