Clueless Dad needs help catching bait fish

pump

Firstly let me just put it out there that I haven't fished since I was about 7 years old (I'm now pushing 50) so I know virtually nothing.

I take my 4 year old daughter to the wharf in Port Macquarie often. Recently when we were there, there were some kids catching pufferfish. My daughter absolutely loved it - the whole catching process and playing with them in a bucket of sea water after having been caught. The kids were using a shrimp trap with some squid inside it. They would submerge the trap about 6 feet from the shoreline in about 2 feet deep of water and catch 1 pufferfish approximately every 10 minutes. So I went out and bought a shrimp trap and some squid and have done exactly the same thing in the exact same place, and after multiple attempts/days have been unable to catch a single thing!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? What else I could do to improve my chances? Should I just go get a yabbie pump and start hitting the beaches?

I just want to catch some small fish for my daughter and then release them back into the water. Any help/suggestions are much appreciated!

(I tried creating this thread in the "Adopt a Learner" forum but the option is greyed out for some reason?)

• Like 1

I don't know about trapping them, but when I see puffers and want to catch some for a giggle, I always have success using a small bit of prawn on a tiny hook under a float.

I find the puffers swim only a metre or two below the surface and so you don't need to set the float very low.

You can even keep recatching the same puffer as they don't seem to get shy. 

Hope this helps. 

I don't know much about catching puffer fish pump but I can tell you how your daughter and you can catch some small fish and have lots of fun in the process.

It's all about berley. Put half a loaf of bread (it can be stale) in a bucket. Go to a wharf or pontoon. Add small amount of salt water to the bread and both of you squish it to soak up the water. Your daughter will enjoy that bit. You can add a small amount of fish oil (tuna), though not essential. Put a golf ball sized lump of the mix in a shady area under the wharf / pontoon. 

Now to the fishing part: small kids rod with 4lb (2kg) line and a size 2 hook. A small piece of cut up, peeled shrimp (or squid) on the hook and lower it into the dispersing mix. You can catch many species. If you lose your hook from a bite it's a good chance that you have Leatherjackets to blame so you can put a small long shank hook on instead. "Bobbing" the bait up and down can help attract the fish too. Give it a go and enjoy some bonding with your daughter.

Good luck, bn

• Like 1

Alternatively, just fish on any sand flat at high tide, using the same method, small hook and piece of Prawn, you will catch dozens of Bream and Whiting, plus there's the fun of playing in the sand and paddling around.

• Like 2

Come fishing with me if you want to catch puffer fish.The secret I use is I target table fish and catch puffer fish.It's got me thinking I'll target puffer fish from now on for table fish.🤔 My berley attracts puffer fish too I find.

If you want to catch tiny fish my secret is come fishing with me too.😂🤣😁

Sorry I can't help with trapping puffer fish unfortunately.Good luck doing what others have mentioned.

• Haha 4

You're the first person I've ever known to want to catch toadies 😂

If you're at port mac I would suggest heading to Camden Haven, one of the best estuaries in Australia. Grab yourself a coffee at the boatshed and take the kids fishing from the shore. (Not the wharf the coffee shop is on, they will crack it). Plenty of good bream there.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kFRbKMeX7WJjd6om6

The cheapest rod you can buy paired with a little float and small hook. Smooshed up bread balls for bait and burley.

Or if you'd rather a beer than coffee try the other side of the river at high tide opposite the bottle-o.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/N7Wm4tjxZzRiyyKQ9

Peeled prawn for bait, change the float for a sinker and a longshank hook, fish the sand bar and channel off the shore there. Bream, whiting and flatties.

Edited by SquibblyDibbly
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, pump said:

Firstly let me just put it out there that I haven't fished since I was about 7 years old (I'm now pushing 50) so I know virtually nothing.

I take my 4 year old daughter to the wharf in Port Macquarie often. Recently when we were there, there were some kids catching pufferfish. My daughter absolutely loved it - the whole catching process and playing with them in a bucket of sea water after having been caught. The kids were using a shrimp trap with some squid inside it. They would submerge the trap about 6 feet from the shoreline in about 2 feet deep of water and catch 1 pufferfish approximately every 10 minutes. So I went out and bought a shrimp trap and some squid and have done exactly the same thing in the exact same place, and after multiple attempts/days have been unable to catch a single thing!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? What else I could do to improve my chances? Should I just go get a yabbie pump and start hitting the beaches?

I just want to catch some small fish for my daughter and then release them back into the water. Any help/suggestions are much appreciated!

(I tried creating this thread in the "Adopt a Learner" forum but the option is greyed out for some reason?)

if there isnt to much current go buy a cheap tin of tuna mix it up in a bucket of sand and keep putting small bits into water it will bring alot of fish around.

• Like 1

Such excellent advice from everyone, really appreciate it. This is a great community.

I took her down to the wharf again this afternoon and tried out a few of the techniques I'd been advised of from this thread and well what do you know, we caught one puffer fish after the other! The little one was absolutely stoked. We had a great time. She got to play with them in the bucket and I explained to her about why we release them back into the water, which she had great fun doing one at a time.

And yep I reckon a yabbie pump will be next on the agenda and then we can progress to buying a couple of rods. Excellent suggestion about Camden Haven too, it is absolutely beautiful down there.

Will no doubt be back again when I need another novice question answered haha. Thanks heaps to everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on getting caught up fishing. We are a little further south on the Manning. Your daughter would enjoy Lake Cathie on the way past with easy wading/fishing & good amenities block & BBQ's nearby etc. Don't forget you can access further up the lake too. A pie at North Haven though can be hard to beat and better nipper beds. Tight Lines, Hoods

I hate to be the person to give the "Karen" comment, but you need to be aware that there are laws we must abide by when fishing. For one, if you get a puffer and keep it in a bucket to play with, it is fine, but if you catch a fish that has a legal size limit, they must be returned to the water immediately.

A fisheries officer can assume you plan on keeping it if you keep it in your bucket. At the end of the day, it is up to the fisheries officer and if you come across one. I understand, its just for your daughter to play with but those are the rules, but you wouldn't want to receive a fine over something little.

You can download an app called "Fishsmart NSW", which shows you the rules and size limits for fish. If the species is not on the list, then there is no size limited.