Lachlan cod

hookerbruce

Been out in central NSW for a while caught a few carp here and there but its not a fishing holiday. Spent a night camped next to the Lachlan river near Condobolin fished in the afternoon and the next morning before we moved on.

Caught shrimp in a trap and fished from the bank. Caught at least 20 cod between 35 and 53 cm, the most cod I've ever caught in a short time. Also caught 3 silver perch 30 to  40 cm and 4 yellow belly to 45 cm.

Kept 3 yellow belly to eat. Also lost a cod in the 60's about 5kg got it to the surface hook pulled as I moved it towards the shore.

Resized_20210223_181444.jpeg

Resized_20210224_075938.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks for sharing your success with us Bruce. A few mates frequent the Lachlan and usually target Yellas. They have done well also. Meanwhile, where I live the water levels are up and down like a brides nightie and that is still having an adverse effect on the Cod fishing. They are still biting in short spells and it's necessary to put serious time in to get some numbers like you did. Well done, good to see plenty of just undersize Cod around. Holds well for the future. Cheers, bn

5 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for sharing your success with us Bruce. A few mates frequent the Lachlan and usually target Yellas. They have done well also. Meanwhile, where I live the water levels are up and down like a brides nightie and that is still having an adverse effect on the Cod fishing. They are still biting in short spells and it's necessary to put serious time in to get some numbers like you did. Well done, good to see plenty of just undersize Cod around. Holds well for the future. Cheers, bn

The water level was rising went up about 30cm from when we arrived in the arvo till we left the next morning. The other thing that was good to  see didn't catch a single carp. I would normally expect 4 or 5 fish.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Thats certainly good going there Bruce, what do you think of the taste of those Yellowbelly..

Had friends with us who thought the fish would taste like mud, they came back for seconds and thirds. I don't mind the  taste of them at all. Silver perch when you get them in dams cook up well too.

Bruce 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

I fillet skin debone, cut into smaller pices coat with a bit of flour and morrocon spice and cook quickly on the b b q plate . 

Cooks up beautiful. 

Cod done in a similar way produces great fish to go with some chips. Inland freshwater fish aren't TOO BAD on the plate, although I wouldn't eat any above 60 cms in length...too fatty. bn