Damn Beachworms

noelm

Just got back from the beach trying to get some Worms for Whiting, plenty there, but I came back empty handed, gees they are tricky things, I usually get a few, but today, no chance. I tried fingers and pliers and still got none, but lots of Pipis came up on a single wave, no idea what went on, but on one wave only, hundreds just popped up out of the sand and got washed around, then buried again as quick as they came up. Looks like a trip to the bait shop for tomorrow's Whiting trip, at least it was fun, my grandson was there, the water was warm (but still quite brown) some wandering beach walker stole my bucket, I looked around and they were way up the beach with it, my grandson gave chase and got it back, who steals a small second hand plastic bucket? Damn tourists......

Edited by noelm
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, noelm said:

some wandering beach walker stole my bucket, I looked around and they were way up the beach with it, my grandson gave chase and got it back, who steals a small second hand plastic bucket? Damn tourists......

Use him for worm bait.  :074:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi Noelm I used to use ordinary long nose pliers rather than worm pliers- I find they seem to work better when they're hard to get, might be how much faster they close? Not sure, but they worked better than the purpose-made ones.

The downside is that the worms usually die quickly, but that's OK if using them fairly soon

• Like 2

Great report Noel, great fun worming for grandson. I am a pretty lousy wormer, but can usually get enough in 3 hours for a one hour fishing session 😞. I do know they don’t like windy weather and retreat super fast - too fast for me.

(I discovered “plastic poo” at Weirdo’s magic shop, many many moons ago and used to place it on top of things I didn’t want nicked - can’t imagine why anyone would stela a bucket, unless they thought they were “cleaning up the beach”.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It was windy yesterday, maybe that's what was making them tricky,  I usually get enough to cover my needs, but, yesterday no way could I get one. I did get a few Whiting this morning on Pipis though, so I will try some normal pliers and fingers again this afternoon to get some worms, it's a pretty chilly SW wind today, so I don't like my chances.

I could get enough with my fingers before my back went on me, but I had a mate that also preferred regular long nosed pliers over the purpose made ones, like Waza said. 

He reckoned a couple of wraps of electricians tape around the jaws of the pliers helped keep the worms alive longer.

• Like 2

Was talking to a local elder down here the other day about catching worms at the beach.

His story was that he used pipis as the bait in their shell since they are their natural food source. He would open the shell and mince around inside with a knife. He would use the usual stink bag to get them up then use the pipi in the shell as the attractant. The worm would go into the shell to get the minced up pipi and he would simply close the shell, catching the worm with its head inside.

Might have to give this a go.

J

• Like 8

I will try anything, getting desperate, lucky it's good fun. Just on the subject of Worms, lots of people have secret methods to keep them frozen, but I find just put the worms in a little plastic bag with a tiny bit of sea water, they freeze good and come out like new, if I am going the next day, they stay alive in sea water, or store for a while in dry sand and kept cool.

I always use fingers  (i started off with pliers but i felt like i was doing damage to the worm populations as i kept snapping heads). With fingers, you either have them or you dont (and after a while it actually became much easier with the fingers as i can dig in deep in the sand with fingers, with pliers it all needs to happen above the sand).

I tried keeping them alive in seawater but they always wriggle around and break themselves up. I find that moist sand works the best,(not dry and not compact wet, you want the kind that's good for making sand castles). 

I dont bury them in sand in the bucket, just add enough to cover after each worm after i catch him and put him in the bucket, think of like sprinkling enough sand to stop em wriggling. they get spread out in a shopping g or laundry basket covered with a wet towel (to keep up humidity) and go in the bathroom/laundry where its cold in summer. They can last like this at least a day or two (i have had them for 3 days sometimes, making sure the towel is very wet but not dripping) and the worms will still be kicking when its time to fish.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am OK (most times) at worming, but it's just a practice thing (in my opinion) YouTube and books are not the same as doing it. I have a mate who used to catch them as a kid to sell to the bait shops, I have no idea how he does it, but you see a worm, he just walks up, bends down, and pulls the worm out! I bend over, fiddle around, get soaked by waves, lose my hand bait and miss the worm......he has shown me dozens of times, but it's an "art"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1