Fishing anywhere?

flossedman

1 hour ago, flossedman said:

I am from NW Sydney

Finding the answer to your question comes in 2 forms.

The NSW DPI controls enforcement of fishing here so you can look on their website for marine reserve/park info

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/marine-protected-areas

The DPI also controls size & bag limits & again enforcement with NSW fisheries on acceptable & prohibited methods of fishing which you will find on their site-

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs

The other form would be looking at maps that are put out by the RMS who controls the waterways but they have more detailed info in them re zoning.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/using-waterways/navigation-communication/maps.html

Essentially before you drop a line into the water you need to look at all the information on location & know what & how you can & cant take.

Put it this way, you cant plead ignorance as in "I didnt know officer" because it will get you nowhere & the fines are way bigger than for driving offences!!

Usually about $500 & up per offence for say fishing in a sanctuary & per undersize fish, to the point where major offences can lead to confiscation of car, vessel, assets, prison time 😬

So its good you ask the question 😉

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am from NW Sydney

you are free to fish just about anywhere that you can gain access too- we actually have rights to access waterways in Australia (one of the very few defined rights we actually have)-which is why we can go to the beach and no-one can own it. There are however certain areas in NSW that are no fishing areas, such as certain marine parks, military areas and some other exceptional areas-essentailly assume you can fish whereever you damn well like unless there is a specific direction against it. There are a few such areas in Sydney and they can all be found on the DPI webiste for details

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

you are free to fish just about anywhere that you can gain access too- we actually have rights to access waterways in Australia (one of the very few defined rights we actually have)-which is why we can go to the beach and no-one can own it. There are however certain areas in NSW that are no fishing areas, such as certain marine parks, military areas and some other exceptional areas-essentailly assume you can fish whereever you damn well like unless there is a specific direction against it. There are a few such areas in Sydney and they can all be found on the DPI webiste for details

I think that's all mostly an understatement imo.

One example is a FR member was told to move along no fishing allowed here when fishing at the botanical Gardens in Sydney harbour even thought there was no such signage to the contrary.

So it's not as easy feel free to fish anywhere as your saying.

But as you say, it is there in black & white but you do need to look at all the info from the respective regulatory body.

And as I know you are well aware of our access & fishing right are under constant attack so we all need to be proactive in trying to protect what we currently have & protect future rights.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

On the DPI website there used to be a map with all the no-fishing locations, not sure if its still there but it should be. But if there aren't any signs you can fish.

Correct me if i'm wrong but if the sign is made from plastic and looks a bit dodgey (is in Chinese and English and doesn't have the normal no-fishing symbol but a someone sitting and a chair with a rod) you can ignore it becuase its fake. I'm not 100 % sure but i fished next to some and no one said anything to me, I also asked a couple of them if it was real and they said no.

Also if the sign is covered by trees or something you can fight/ argue the find - apparently - correct if im wrong please 

The free to fish anywhere can/will get you into trouble, beside the Government no fishing and no take zones, (two different things) lots of Marinas and the like also have local no fishing rules, you might argue that you have "public access" as a right, but don't count on it. Road and train bridges are an example of no fishing, yet people still fish off them!

Edited by noelm

2 hours ago, motiondave said:

There's a BIG no fishing sign at Silverwater boat ramp. Still plenty people with lines out....

That would be a real sign though because lines get stuck in the motors and its a pain. Also any tips on how to tell a real sign from a fake. There seem to be some pretty good fakes (not sure, they might be legitimate) 

Taken straight from the DPI website;

Note: At common law, the public has a right to fish in the sea, the arms of the sea and in the tidal reaches of all rivers and estuaries. The public has no common law right to fish in non-tidal waters-the right to fish in those waters belongs to the owner of the soil under those waters. However, the public may fish in non-tidal waters if the soil under those waters is Crown land. In the case of non-tidal waters in rivers and creeks, section 38 declares that the public has a right to fish despite the private ownership of the bed of the river or creek. However, the right to fish in tidal or non-tidal waters is subject to any restriction imposed by this Act.

In other words unless specified by the Fisheries Act-go fishing

You can download these fishing guides from the DPI or they will also mail out the paper version foc but it takes a few weeks to get them !

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/resources/info

If the sign at Silverwater only  has no fishing on it and no other info like by order of local council ,dpi or fisheries or something similar it is probably a fake or a generic safety sign that can be purchased from a shop that sells safety signs - usually the ones put up by the Government will say fishing prohibited as in the bottom picture 

image.jpeg.0edd27035e1ddd6b2b6859fddb2b3a5e.jpeg

image.jpeg.4ca4ed0ad8dd59f3f7d4a461358f1bf2.jpeg

Edited by XD351
Spelling and to add pictures

2 hours ago, XD351 said:

You can download these fishing guides from the DPI or they will also mail out the paper version foc but it takes a few weeks to get them !

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/resources/info

If the sign at Silverwater only  has no fishing on it and no other info like by order of local council ,dpi or fisheries or something similar it is probably a fake or a generic safety sign that can be purchased from a shop that sells safety signs - usually the ones put up by the Government will say fishing prohibited as in the bottom picture 

image.jpeg.0edd27035e1ddd6b2b6859fddb2b3a5e.jpeg

image.jpeg.4ca4ed0ad8dd59f3f7d4a461358f1bf2.jpeg

Thanks @XD351I will get those linked. Seems they have added lots more ;) 

Sorry if i have asked too much, i am totally new to fishing in Australia. 
I did a bit of reading over the days, getting more informed now, slowly but surely....

Cheers all

flossedman

You can NEVER ask too many questions !

Hi Donna ,

I get a newsletter from DPI every so often , I think I signed up for it via the fishsmart app but it could have been on the DPI website - can’t remember 🤔 They usually give updates on things like new artificial reefs , re stocking , any law changes and any new guides they have released - it’s one of the few newsletters I look forward to 🎣

9 hours ago, XD351 said:

You can NEVER ask too many questions !

Hi Donna ,

I get a newsletter from DPI every so often , I think I signed up for it via the fishsmart app but it could have been on the DPI website - can’t remember 🤔 They usually give updates on things like new artificial reefs , re stocking , any law changes and any new guides they have released - it’s one of the few newsletters I look forward to 🎣

Thanks for pointing that out @XD351

That's right and the newsletter called Newscast can be subscribed to here https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/about-us/publications/newscast

I normally post these up in Fisheries News and Politics 

17 hours ago, motiondave said:

I'm not really sure, to be honest, the only land based spots I used to frequent are part of a park . I didn't used to fish wharfs as I have to take a special needs kid with me so plenty room to run around was needed. I've not seen any "no fishing" signs. 

As I suggested to flossman, to get a copy of the book I suggested. I had a copy but loaned it to someone. The spots in there were permitted fishing spots. 

That's probably a good reference.

Ok, will have a look at that book. Wouldn't it be out of date though? They would be adding the signs around a bit

No such thing as a silly question @Flossedman. As they say - just silly answers. As @PaddyT refers to the Common Law the "water" is owned by the State however we all have the right to access the waterway But not always from the shore. which may be privately owned - think Canal estates harbour forshores, rural properties in NW Sydney etc. There are very few Old System Tile properties remaining in NSW where the property title goes to the centre of the river (non tidal). But even then (think Big Neil on the Murrumbidgee) the public can still access the waterway just not from the land. Use your mapping tool to find public access points where you want to fish and go have some fun. One member posted recently his experience with a "Donna" on a public boat ramp which would provide some enjoyment (its also on Youtube). Take a Raider with you!! Tight lines.

23 hours ago, motiondave said:

its fairly new and actually look at spots around to see if any signs about.

I think Donna and others have specified enough about where to look, what to look for etc.

If you are not capable of doing that, then toss the fishing gear in the bin

Will do thanks. Need the driving hours to, to get my Ps