Bate Bay

Yowie

After a couple of weeks travelling about southern NSW (no bites in the Murray River, and sunken trees eating lures in the Murrumbidgee) it was time for salt water.

Headed out this arvo with my fishing mate out of Bate Bay. Tried a couple of spots for flatties, the biggest only 39cm and many throw backs. The wind was forecast to drop, which it did not, and eventually pushed up a northerly wind chop, going against a S/E swell, making it a bit bouncy. 

Headed towards Kurnell to a mark I was given, in 90 feet of water, just before sunset. Pulled out the tailor from there, all feeding just above the bottom, so it shows that tailor do feed deeper than most people think, especially during autumn and winter. Pulled up some reddies as well, but none legal.

Biggest tailor kept was 43cm, and released a couple at 47cm, and a couple of bite-offs. The maori wrasse popped it's air bladder, so it would not have released well.

I caught most of the fish, my mate using the same bait and gear and about 1.5 metres away just could not get many bites. I have had that happen in the opposite way, myself not catching much while others pull them in beside me. 😖  Headed home when dark.

fish.jpeg.287_files_files.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Nice catch from the correct side of the boat. Hope the knees better. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran. Funny how fish can be biting on one side of a boat, and bugger all the other side.

The knee is good, the fracture has healed, and I am busy as a one legged man in an arse kicking competition. Well, nearly.   :074: 

10 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Yowie

I don't think I've ever seen a post of yours with only one species present😄

Great work again and enjoy those fillets:)

Very rare to catch only one species during a session. Depends what is silly enough to grab my baits. 🤣

48 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well done Yowie, some nice sized tailor there - great fighters on light line

Thanks Pickles. The 2 x 47cm ones swam all around the back of the boat, even with 20 pound line.