back on the salt at last

dirvin21

After months of flooding and dirty water, finally got the boat out on the river for the first time in ages. The water looked good, went for a run upriver, the carnage from the flooding is unbelievable, huge sections of bank and trees gone, in some sections it's likke a different river. The day started with slow rolling cranks on the gravel beds for bream with not so much as a touch, switched to flicking plastics along the edges 2 casts into that and a fish on the boat

P1010937.JPG.b0d483512945a430da79c424b3386231.JPG

definetly no monster but my first saltwater fish for over 2 months. The bites and small bream weren't to hard to come by for the first section interestingly they only wanted a paddle tail plastic over the grub. It soon went quiet apart from pulling the hooks on a quality flathead, coming onto a steep mudbank get nailed staright away

P1010939.JPG.60f8820f8b89b3fec8f16975e0557938.JPG

a slightly better quality bream, i was hopeful of a repeat of last year where the bream were on the mudbanks but in this case it was a one fish wonder.

I got very slow for quite awhile I tried gravel beds and snaggy edges for a total of one miniscule flathead and quite a few dropped fish including what I think was a decent GT.

With my patience gone and my 5th bust off on a snag I shot down river in bit of a rage, pulled up on a bank that used to be a good jack bank before the trees were removed, changed plastics to a grub and first cast it's taken

P1010941.JPG.8ee81ce225fb0519733732c77de1f3de.JPG 

atleast the bream quality improved a bit more feeling a burst of confidance next cast gets eaten again

P1010942.thumb.JPG.de68ae2a4c0ea76d8fbd152edc43abac.JPG

a better flattie, the bite continued along the bank I just couldn't keep the fish pinned if I landed every fish I hooed would have been a cricket score day.

on the last of the bank and about to call it quits on the hop I assume my plastic has snagged a stick, then the stick starts running, took a screaming b line into the sunken trees then comes out then back in then out, I was pretty nervous with 6lb leader, once it started circling deep figured it was a trev, got the boat away from the trees and just played tug if war for awhile, we were in a long stale mate where I'd gain some line and he'd take it but after awhile I got the upper hand and a quality GT was in the net

P1010947.thumb.JPG.9851d515ff41d19541d32aabc4b0f2c5.JPG

A beautiful 47cm GT a really nice fish for the river on bream gear, it's funny how one fish can change your perspective on an entire day.

Decided to finish the session on a high, hopefully I'll be back out there soon and convert a few more hook-ups

cheers for reading 

Dave 

• Like 11

Hi Dave, Thanks for the report & well done. Same situation down here with most of the fish in the lower cleared water. Hopefully those Red Devils have returned to their favouriste snags for a final crack at them. Tight lines. Hoods

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James Clain said:

What a nice GT. Great session. I haven't been for a fish in ages due to year 12. I am looking forward to another session on the Nambucca in late June or early July if you are around. 

You just say when mate