Longie rats and a feed (13 May)

dlvbw

Hey Raiders,

Headed out Thursday morning from Roseville with the plan to try and find some kingies at Longie and then do some flatty drifts. I had two good mates on board. 

Livies in the harbour were easy and and we filled the bait tank in good speed. Interestingly the bait jig absolutely smashed the two hand lines. A few days ago it was the complete opposite.... We headed to Longie and got there about 45 minutes before the high tide. Heaps of bait on the sounder so we parked up on anchor lock and sent down some livies down. There were good marks on the sounder and then the kingies showed up in the burley trail. I got out another rig (stradic 4000) and sent down an unweighted yakka fillet. It got hammered and we were on. Managed to boat 7 in about 45 minutes (losing a couple). All small (didn't even bother measuring them) but neither of my mates had caught a kingie before so they were stoked and couldn't believe how much go they had in them and how fun they are to catch. The livies didn't get touched though when we were checking them the rats were following them up. 

It went quiet so after a couple hours we went prospecting in deep water off the beaches as I am trying to find a reliable flatty drift that produces bigger fish and less rubbish. Tried about 4 drifts in places I have not fished before - around 50-65m for nothing except a 45cm snap (good bycatch). Frustrated we heading in to around 25m and commenced to catch the procession of small flatties. Managed 8 nice fish but nothing particularly impressive. Must have thrown back 25 and my hands were destroyed from releasing the small ones. Fresh yakka fillets bait of choice.

Headed back in around 430 with a good feed but feeling a little disappointed.  In hindsight probably should have continued to concentrate on kingies but still a great day with mates in excellent conditions. They are pumped to get out again so that is great.

Nothing worth taking pictures of unfortunately!

Cheers

D

• Like 8

On 5/14/2021 at 12:01 PM, dlvbw said:

Nothing worth taking pictures of unfortunately

Oh contraire.

Would still be good to see a nice sunrise, some birds working or just how you set up your rigs or boat even.

Its not always about the fish you have or have not caught but the day/hours you spent on the water!

Whats the saying.............a picture is worth a thousand words............😉

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 12:01 PM, dlvbw said:

Headed back in around 430 with a good feed but feeling a little disappointed.  In hindsight probably should have continued to concentrate on kingies but still a great day with mates in excellent conditions

We can all be wise in hind sight, but the bottom line is that you a great day with your mates.

16 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Oh contraire.

Would still be good to see a nice sunrise, some birds working or just how you set up your rigs or boat even.

Its not always about the fish you have or have not caught but the day/hours you spent on the water!

Whats the saying.............a picture is worth a thousand words............😉

Here you go Zoran! Pretty crisp shot taken by a mate. It really was a stunning morning. 

EarlyAM-NC.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dlvbw said:

Here you go Zoran! Pretty crisp shot taken by a mate. It really was a stunning morning. 

EarlyAM-NC.jpg

Well thanks for posting up and referencing little me!  But it was @kingie chaser (Adrian) that requested it. 

BTW, top photo and beautiful rig 👍👍 it’s always a magic time just before you push off  

cheers Zoran 

10 hours ago, dlvbw said:

EarlyAM-NC.jpg

Its doesn't take much to keep me happy, looks like a cracker of a way to start the day & you have great looking CC rig there dlvbw :thumbup: