Minn Kota OR Watersnake

frankS

Hi guys, after opinions and what would you choose if you was on a budget and probably use the motor every 2nd week at best.

I have got hold of a Savage Scorpion 485 and I want to fit a bow mount electric to it.

I am tossing up between Minn Kota terrovo spot lock does everything 55lb thrust 54" shaft @ $ 2899.00 not including quick release bracket which is $189 extra foot cont ?

OR Watersnake geo spot lock does everything same as Kota with 65 lb thrust 54" shaft @ $ 1785.00 quick release bracket $ 79.00 foot control $ 99.00.

Leaning heavily towards the Watersnake.

I know the Kota has the reputation but you pay for the privilege .

The watersnake made by Jarvis Walker here in Australia.

I am after opinions and don't be afraid to state your true thoughts as I won't be offended whichever way you go.

Cheers Frank

Edited by frankS
spelling

40 minutes ago, frankS said:

Can't say I have any 1st hand knowledge on the units but can sure understand the process in the decision making.

The saying is you get what you pay for & there is the decision, spend more & get the better product or get the best for what is within your budget.

When I bought my 4x4, yes I would have loved to have been able to afford to get into a Hilux or Landcruiser but reality set in & settle on a Triton which was at the time some 20K cheaper.

Still happy with what I have for the price point.

At the end of the day it's about value for money & what you can afford.

if I could afford it I would get a Minn kota but its not my money 🙂

Edited by kingie chaser

35 minutes ago, frankS said:

Hi guys, after opinions and what would you choose if you was on a budget and probably use the motor every 2nd week at best.

I have got hold of a Savage Scorpion 485 and I want to fit a bow mount electric to it.

I am tossing up between Minn Kota terrovo spot lock does everything 55lb thrust 54" shaft @ $ 2899.00 not including quick release bracket which is $189 extra foot cont ?

OR Watersnake geo spot lock does everything same as Kota with 65 lb thrust 54" shaft @ $ 1785.00 quick release bracket $ 79.00 foot control $ 99.00.

Leaning heavily towards the Watersnake.

The watersnake made by Jarvis Walker here in Australia.

I am after opinions and don't be afraid to state your true thoughts as I won't be offended whichever way you go.

Cheers Frank

Stewy and I have the Minn Kota on the Poly and a Watersnake on the tinny.

In our opinion the Minn Kota is worth the extra money. The steering is much better, the spot lock is much better and the foot control is sooooo much better than the Watersnake. 

We are sorry we did not opt for the Minn Kota on the tinny. 

Hey Frank. My reply may not be particularly helpful. As you know I have a Watersnake (without spot lock) fitted to my tinny. I can offer an experienced comparison as I have been on several (larger) boats that have Minn Kota with spot lock. They are much better in my opinion. I find with my Watersnake that it is often slow to respond to the remote hand controller. I seldom use the foot control as I find it difficult to maintain good balance while operating it with my gammy leg. As I said, my reply may not be helpful, but I know what I would buy if I repeated the exercise. Fortunately, I'm not. Cheers, bn

It sure looks like the Kota is by far the favorite. I will have to see if the budget will stretch that far. I need to get quite a lot for the boat, Sounder / G P S  combo looking at the 9" lowrance just under $1000 , the lecky and sounder are the major cost items and then all the little bits I need to get all add up, so have some serious thinking to do in the next week or so.

Thanks all for your help and valued opinions , it's good to get different points of view on subjects.

Frank

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, big Neil said:

My maye has a Motorguide which is 20 yrs old and had a hard life. Still runs like a beauty Frank. bn

Neil. I also have an old Motorguide on my Brooker, previously had it on my Quintrex Bass boat and it has always been faultless.

Gives me a 3rd option which I will look into.

Frank

So looks like the Kota is the go , but motorguide still in the running.

From what I read the motorguide is compatible with Lowrance but the dearer model from what I intend to buy and I'm not prepared to pay an extra $4 / 500 for the sounder.  Money is tight. have to get all off shore safety gear including gps epirb and there is just so much of the green stuff to go around.

Frank

For your 485 Scorpion you would want at least a 60" shaft or even a 72" shaft. Im running a Motor Guide Xi5 80lb - 60" on my Horizon 485 Northerner and when outside the 60" shaft is not quite long enough. A 54"shaft would be no good on your savage thats for sure!!!

5 hours ago, onearmedfisho said:

For your 485 Scorpion you would want at least a 60" shaft or even a 72" shaft. Im running a Motor Guide Xi5 80lb - 60" on my Horizon 485 Northerner and when outside the 60" shaft is not quite long enough. A 54"shaft would be no good on your savage thats for sure!!!

Wow. That is a step backwards, I have sort of measured up for a 54" shaft and to my reckoning that would place the prop approx 12-15 " below water. They recommend 12 "  . I was thinking about a 60 " shaft as they are available for the 12 volt 55lb model, but not in stock and would have to order it in which will take time.

I will have to re measure and do the calculations.

As it is it will be a tight fit and I will probably have to remove the bow rail to fit it and possibly make a bracket to sit it on which will make the whole thing higher.

Thanks for the heads up and I will re measure and let you know what happens.

Frank

On 5/23/2021 at 7:49 AM, frankS said:

The Scorpion is the older type/style 88722820_scorpion6.jpg.34f93348b9fe89ab6142c6cdab46519f.jpg

and probably not as deep as your newer version.

Frank

fair point frank but you have to think how much the bow comes up when outside  etc. here is a photo of mine with the 60" shaft which is not really long enough

Northerner 3.jpg

boat 1 cropped.jpg